Stephen F. Austin (12/15/13)

CMJ

You say a lot of things, and you always get attacked.

I'm not saying they are right or you are wrong, but it is what you have built up for yourself since Day 1 of Benford.

I gotta hand it to Andrew. He gets attacked a lot , but he always keeps it civil. He also comes back on even after blowout losses

I corrected that 3 times in the ipad!!!! Why did not it not come out... SFA

Yeah, those G and F keys sub out a lot.

Firing Benford mid season would do no good. All assistants are his guys, with the exception of DBO Luster who was here with Johnny. Is there someone on the bench that can all of a sudden get the guys fired up? If that's the case, why aren't they stepping up now? I am not saying he does not need to be removed at some point, but I do say let him finish what they let him start this season.

So doing nothing is better than doing nothing?

Firing Benford mid season would do no good. All assistants are his guys, with the exception of DBO Luster who was here with Johnny. Is there someone on the bench that can all of a sudden get the guys fired up? If that's the case, why aren't they stepping up now? I am not saying he does not need to be removed at some point, but I do say let him finish what they let him start this season.

As a team, UNT had 2 (two) assists the whole game! Scramble defense and back door cuts. No one on that team looks confident anymore. How can you win when no one is bought in?

I agree

I don't think we can bring in anyone at this point who is going to make much of a difference with a very difficult conference slate coming up. Let him finish out the season and go from there

• Upvote 1

I didn't say do nothing. I said firing him mid season will do no good. If the bench has a leader on it, then why are they not stepping up already. You let someone go mid season when you feel there is someone sitting there that can right the ship until you can get everything else worked out.

Ray Harper anyone?

• Upvote 1

“I told the guys it’s a long season and there no one in your corner now,” Benford said. “Everyone thinks that we are not any good, that I can’t coach and they can’t play. There is a lot of basketball left and it’s our job to prove people wrong.”

Wow. He's gone with the Darrell Dickey philosophy without the wins. This reeks of desperation. He knows he is in trouble.

I doubt naming one of the assistants the interim coach will make things better, but I think there's a greater chance that it keeps things from getting much worse, and shows the players, fans, donors, etc that change is coming. Not to mention we get started in our search for a new coach.

W don't care about your own program, no one else will either.

This should have been done last April. Do it now to try and get as many back this year as possible. Hell, with Evans as an interm, I may go to more than just 1 game this year.

• Upvote 1

Maybe a info graphic could make it seem like a closer game than it actually was ....

This seems to have had a bit of direction towards me and Army of Dad didn't want it to get lost. You didn't like my info graphic? That's cool, I appreciate sarcasm.

About the game, I also wanted to join the conversation to say a couple of things. First, I agree with the other poster commending Andrew... although minority in thought, he keeps it classy.

Second, and more on point, though I didn't see any of the game (family Christmas), all that I saw on CBS.com and read through this long thread seems to point to an absolutely embarrassing game. Across all dimensions this game sucked and someone needs to be held accountable for it. I have defended Benford, but you can only defend a man so far. I am not a basketball aficionado, but I am not sure firing him mid-season would help any. I am torn. I think the only option RV has, at this point, is to let this season play out and make any moves then. (Do we get a lottery pick in college!?!)

I am for Benford's redemption. I am for this team winning. I am for packing the pit. I am for healthy GMG board conversations. To that end, I am not sure how much productivity versus fodder these "fire benford" threads morph into.

Regardless of coach or performance, I will not strike the Super Pit, I will be at every game I can because I believe in the Mean Green. Hope to see you there!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

This seems to have had a bit of direction towards me and Army of Dad didn't want it to get lost. You didn't like my info graphic? That's cool, I appreciate sarcasm.

About the game, I also wanted to join the conversation to say a couple of things. First, I agree with the other poster commending Andrew... although minority in thought, he keeps it classy.

Second, and more on point, though I didn't see any of the game (family Christmas), all that I saw on CBS.com and read through this long thread seems to point to an absolutely embarrassing game. Across all dimensions this game sucked and someone needs to be held accountable for it. I have defended Benford, but you can only defend a man so far. I am not a basketball aficionado, but I am not sure firing him mid-season would help any. I am torn. I think the only option RV has, at this point, is to let this season play out and make any moves then. (Do we get a lottery pick in college!?!)

I am for Benford's redemption. I am for this team winning. I am for packing the pit. I am for healthy GMG board conversations. To that end, I am not sure how much productivity versus fodder these "fire benford" threads morph into.

Regardless of coach or performance, I will not strike the Super Pit, I will be at every game I can because I believe in the Mean Green. Hope to see you there!

Just trying to have some fun during a awful day ;). I appreciate anyone who comes on here as a fan and shows spirit. You were also attacked pretty well after that graphic , but kept it classy. Edited by NT03
  • Upvote 2

What can I say? It was funny.

I wouldn't count on packing the pit any time soon. It will be you, me, Kram, lifer, Tasty, and a few hundred other die hards and little kid basketball teams to welcome the visiting team and fans. I don't see how that can change any time soon and certainly not until Benford finally gets his walking papers.

I hope it's soon, I miss how much fun the games used to be.

• Upvote 1

On a better team, I think Alzee would be making a case as well. He was looking so strong by the end of his sophomore campaign. I still think he's our best all-around player.

I agree. Sometimes I think he feels he needs to do to much on this squad. He's the only one to have been on a NCAA tournament team at this school. He's always played within himself and I've always admired that about him.

I agree. Sometimes I think he feels he needs to do to much on this squad. He's the only one to have been on a NCAA tournament team at this school. He's always played within himself and I've always admired that about him.

He is still having a solid season and has turned a lot around. I think he is our best option at PG right now. If he can get a bit better at knocking down the three he will be very very dangerous on the court.

What makes these last two campaigns more painful is all the freaking talent we had that has been wasted. We had a TON of talent last season. A ton. Even losing a guy that's playing in the NBA and others who went overseas, we STILL have a lot now.

WTF - I really can't believe this.

Edited by CMJ

What makes these last two campaigns more painful is all the freaking talent we had that has been wasted. We had a TON of talent last season. A ton. Even losing a guy that's playing in the NBA and others who went overseas, we STILL have a lot now.

WTF - I really can't believe this.

I really think we do too. Vaughn's looks good, Taylor looks good, Voss has looked capable, Gaines looks like he could do some things in close. But they don't look like a team. They just look like players. Across the board we might have just as much ability as we've had in the past 4 years. It's just not coming together and there's no freshmen now to even be building chemistry with for the future.
  • Upvote 2