Stephen F. Austin (12/15/13)

CMJ

This from our own UNT athletics webpage. Some very impressive stats here:

Mean Green Quick Hitters

• North Texas lost its second-straight game.

• This is first time since the 1999-2000 season that North Texas has lost back-to-back games by 30 points.

• North Texas was held to a season-low 53 points

• North Texas was handed its biggest home loss since falling to Oklahoma State, 94-56, on Nov. 28, 2000.

Keith Coleman missed his first game of the 2013-14 season with an ankle injury. He started the first nine games.

Alzee Williams is the only Mean Green player to start all 10 games this season.

Jordan Williams is starting his second game this season.

Kelvin Gaines made his first appearance in a Mean Green uniform today.

• The Lumberjacks held the Mean Green to its second-lowest point total in the first half with 24 points. North Texas scored 20 points against Portland .

• The 23-point first-half deficit was the largest for the Mean Green since the 37-point first-half deficit against UTA on Nov. 22, 2011.

• SFA forced 22 Mean Green turnovers, a season high.

• North Texas was held to a season-low shooting percentage with 34.9. Its previous low was last game against BYU.

Vic Trilli must be laughing someplace.

Couple of quick thoughts as I attended this travesty of a game today.

One -- let's not let the hatred of Benford allow us to overlook the fact that that SFA team is solid. They have several players that seemed to own guys that we had who supposedly were higher ranked. They have a well coached, disciplined program and one we should aspire to be. They have done A LOT more with less resources. Kudos to the Lumberjacks.

I was hopeful that Benford could add some missing pieces and improve the team. It is becoming apparent that is not the case. Flash is a tweener that they were counting on for rebounding and he doesn't seem to fit into that role. Voss is undersized and offers little offense. Vaughns has his moments but like Walton is a streak shooter that runs hot and cold. Taylor seems to still be trying to find where he fits. I thought Coleman looked improved but injuries and inconsistency continue to haunt him. Chris Jones's star has faded into obscurity. Injuries have played a part but he's not the same player he was when he started. Jordan Williams is a nice player but like the others, he seems to be hot or cold. Heck even Alzee struggled today. There is not one guy you can count on for this team night in night out.

I decided today the constant substitution pattern hides the fact that there is not a good system in place for these players. Instead of tweaking the system offensively or defensively you just keep substituting personnel hoping that one of them will execute the system better than the last. Free throw shooting is abysmal. If you are grading a coach based on the key stat lines I'm sorry but Benford's squad deserves an F. The team just seems to lack confidence... they don't seem to believe in the system or themselves or both. It's like they are just going through the motions.

I have been one to allow Benford some space -- last season we struggled but now he has some more of his players and the struggles continue. Through all the losing he has been able to continue to recruit but now I am starting to question if that really matters. The team came out lethargic and slow today. That lies directly on the coaches. Their job is to get these guys motivated. I walked away from the SuperPit today thinking for the first time this may not be fixable.

Last year, we heard that there weren't any leaders on the team. The last class was supposed to provide more of that. I don't see it.

Benford still has a LOT of games left to right the ship but this game was a VERY bad sign. We were not even competitive and it will only get worse in C-USA. I was saddened to see more SFA fans then North Texas fans at the game today. My stance has moved from thinking/hoping he could turn things around to not sure if it is fixable after today's game.

Couple of quick thoughts as I attended this travesty of a game today.

One -- let's not let the hatred of Benford allow us to overlook the fact that that SFA team is solid. They have several players that seemed to own guys that we had who supposedly were higher ranked. They have a well coached, disciplined program and one we should aspire to be. They have done A LOT more with less resources. Kudos to the Lumberjacks.

I was hopeful that Benford could add some missing pieces and improve the team. It is becoming apparent that is not the case. Flash is a tweener that they were counting on for rebounding and he doesn't seem to fit into that role. Voss is undersized and offers little offense. Vaughns has his moments but like Walton is a streak shooter that runs hot and cold. Taylor seems to still be trying to find where he fits. I thought Coleman looked improved but injuries and inconsistency continue to haunt him. Chris Jones's star has faded into obscurity. Injuries have played a part but he's not the same player he was when he started. Jordan Williams is a nice player but like the others, he seems to be hot or cold. Heck even Alzee struggled today. There is not one guy you can count on for this team night in night out.

I decided today the constant substitution pattern hides the fact that there is not a good system in place for these players. Instead of tweaking the system offensively or defensively you just keep substituting personnel hoping that one of them will execute the system better than the last. Free throw shooting is abysmal. If you are grading a coach based on the key stat lines I'm sorry but Benford's squad deserves an F. The team just seems to lack confidence... they don't seem to believe in the system or themselves or both. It's like they are just going through the motions.

I have been one to allow Benford some space -- last season we struggled but now he has some more of his players and the struggles continue. Through all the losing he has been able to continue to recruit but now I am starting to question if that really matters. The team came out lethargic and slow today. That lies directly on the coaches. Their job is to get these guys motivated. I walked away from the SuperPit today thinking for the first time this may not be fixable.

Last year, we heard that there weren't any leaders on the team. The last class was supposed to provide more of that. I don't see it.

Benford still has a LOT of games left to right the ship but this game was a VERY bad sign. We were not even competitive and it will only get worse in C-USA. I was saddened to see more SFA fans then North Texas fans at the game today. My stance has moved from thinking/hoping he could turn things around to not sure if it is fixable after today's game.

I actually defended him early on because I felt like he deserved a chance to show what he could do before dog piling him. However, I have slowly been worn down with the realization that the situation is beyond repair.

I am not smart enough to know if it is mostly due to players or coaching, but unfortunately Benford has not built up any credibility to earn the benefit of the doubt at this point so the coach has to pay the price.

I just wish it was more evident that there was a specific gameplan in place. U wish there were a few plays they could go to when needed to get off a shot. As it is, it seems to be left to the individual players to create for themselves. This approach has likely resulted in our anemic assist numbers and low percentage shots.

As I have said, I don't know enough, but I do know that something has to change.

• Upvote 1

it seemed like a bit more because half of that might have been SGA fans. They came out tot support their team in numbers

Part of the reason for the poor showing by NT fans is game time coupled with the poor performance of the team.

SFA has been consistently good and therefore it is easier for a fan base to travel a couple hours to watch the team play.

With our entrance into C-USA, and all the work J. J. did for North Texas basketball, our home attendance numbers should be rising. Benford has not worked out. Losing to SFA isn't what really upsets me. They are a good program, and can steal a win here and there. It's how they were able to slap us around on our home court. Our attendance was weak already. This game will only make it worse. Conference play hasn't even started, and many in our fan base are ready to throw in the towel. Considering where this program was when J. J. left, no one thought things could get this bad this fast. I'm not interested in blaming anyone, I just want the situation addressed. I hope the administration does something soon.

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 3

After having season tickets for ages, did not renew this year. So this was the first men's game I have been to this year. First, got a late start and arrived about 5 minutes to tip off. Parked 3 slots from closest Fout parking place and there was absolutely no one in the ticket line. The actual attendance was less than 500 with at least 200 of them SFA supporters.

I only mention this as proof this program has bottomed out already in terms of fan support. I am one who has thought at least that Benford's team may be better than last years disaster and wasn't as concerned as most about the BYU stomping. SFA is a good Southland team but they didn't have the advantage of altitude or home court that BYU did. They also don't have near the talent. Is there one player on SFA 's team that got one CUSA offer? I doubt it, but yet they completely embarrassed NT. Even scored the last 14 points of the game, at a time that their players were mostly from the end of their bench.

No one played worth a damn for NT, and I usually do not single out players. However, Voss who garnered 2 points and 1 rebound in 25 minutes of play chose to take out his frustration on a skinny bench player of SFU, not appropriate. That player who just laughed at Voss, is a perfect example of what most now think of the current NT basketball program.

• Upvote 2

Only if my boy gene can be my assistant haha. He was our coach on all intramural teams.

If Gene signs up to play...that's a deal. You can name him your ass't coach if you want to coach. Or, just have him make at least a $25 donation (for his shirt and a bit of a donation to the cause) and he can coach without playing.

So, get the guy to participate....no problem. We can make this happen.

Why not? We ran the exact same offense and defense as the UNT team those years. Also he was offered a job under Johnny Jones when he came up to UNT for grad school (just a "player coach"). Originally they checked to see if he had any eligibility left but he did not.

I am no genius but I followed his lead and he actually is/was a great basketball player and coach (for a short time before he went back for his masters).

i figured out who andrew is guys...

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2013/12/scrappy-coach-wannabe-cites-love-of-game-in-und-football-coach-application/

If Gene signs up to play...that's a deal. You can name him your ass't coach if you want to coach. Or, just have him make at least a $25 donation (for his shirt and a bit of a donation to the cause) and he can coach without playing.

I will ask. He did once show up to one of these games but left and did not play. He also does have an account on here but ever checks it.

Firing Benford mid season would do no good. All assistants are his guys, with the exception of DBO Luster who was here with Johnny. Is there someone on the bench that can all of a sudden get the guys fired up? If that's the case, why aren't they stepping up now? I am not saying he does not need to be removed at some point, but I do say let him finish what they let him start this season.

As a team, UNT had 2 (two) assists the whole game! Scramble defense and back door cuts. No one on that team looks confident anymore. How can you win when no one is bought in?

Also is it 20 minute halves for 12 minute quarters? Edited by Andrew

“I told the guys it’s a long season and there no one in your corner now,” Benford said. “Everyone thinks that we are not any good, that I can’t coach and they can’t play. There is a lot of basketball left and it’s our job to prove people wrong.”

Not so fast there, Kemosabe. I for one am in the players' corner 100%, and I suspect most of us are as well.

• Upvote 2

“I told the guys it’s a long season and there no one in your corner now,” Benford said. “Everyone thinks that we are not any good, that I can’t coach and they can’t play. There is a lot of basketball left and it’s our job to prove people wrong.”

Not so fast there, Kemosabe. I for one am in the players' corner 100%, and I suspect most of us are as well.

Where did this come from?