Stephen F. Austin (12/15/13)

CMJ

Hey Benny:

Someone tell me where Benford lost the game for us? That is all I am asking. I am fine with changes. Remove coaches, remove players... Fine. But someone tell me exactly during the game where something went wrong and who was to blame. It was very pitiful but I will still always show up to the games, but no one has a good reason still. I have no solution as of now.

Side note: I wish everyone on the team had Voss's intensity.

His success is dependent on 18-22 year olds to do what they are supposed to do, and it is his job to make sure they know what that is. It is his job to make sure they are prepared.

He is failing miserably at his job. It is the path he has chosen. Good news is that he seems to be a very competent assistant, so he should recover. UNT basketball might not be so lucky, at least for a while.

Someone tell me where Benford lost the game for us? That is all I am asking. I am fine with changes. Remove coaches, remove players... Fine. But someone tell me exactly during the game where something went wrong and who was to blame. It was very pitiful but I will still always show up to the games, but no one has a good reason still. I have no solution as of now.

Tell me one thing Benford has done to improve this team.

• Upvote 1

Didn't have a single thing to do before the Cowboys game today and driving 2 minutes to the Super Pit to watch a Benny coached team didn't cross my mind for even one second as a viable alternative to raking leaves. Couldn't have even told you the tip time.... But I damn sure could have told you the outcome.

Tell me one thing Benford has done to improve this team.

As of now not much. At least I have a response instead of the foolish approach of giving negatives with no answers. I said I am fine with changes and seeing what can happen yet I still get jumped on. What a joke. Our players deserve better fans then this trash. The game was a failure on all accounts so come up with solutions.

I think we need to change our approach which is on the coach and the players. We rarely work off the ball. You watch the great teams or players they work off the ball. Especially if they are a shooter (see Reggie Miller or Alan Houston). Benford needs to implement this in his game plan and the players need to hustle to get it done. Guys like Chris Davis or Calvin Watson would work off the ball cutting through off ball screens and find openings on the court. Jordan, Vaughn's and others need to do this and have the nerve to shoot the ball off the catch. This y be a player or a coach issue. We are in the bottom of the league in assists and there is a reason why. We suck at working off the ball and when we do we do not hustle. Benford needs to get them to do this more and the players need to decide to actually hustle. The same goes on the defensive end! Hustle off he ball and deny their guards touches. If you overplay then bring in help defense but only then. We bring help defense at the wrong times and leave guys wide open. Players to not get it done on the court and Benford clearly needs to push this issue more.

Someone must have been in the room during Benfords scouting report ;)

Benford should follow my scouting report. I was only wrong when I over estimated or athletic ability, a mistake I won't make again. Also did not realize our basketball IQ was so low. Another mistake I won't make again.

Edited by curtisdaa
  • Upvote 2

As of now not much. At least I have a response instead of the foolish approach of giving negatives with no answers. I said I am fine with changes and seeing what can happen yet I still get jumped on. What a joke. Our players deserve better fans then this trash. The game was a failure on all accounts so come up with solutions.

I think we need to change our approach which is on the coach and the players. We rarely work off the ball. You watch the great teams or players they work off the ball. Especially if they are a shooter (see Reggie Miller or Alan Houston). Benford needs to implement this in his game plan and the players need to hustle to get it done. Guys like Chris Davis or Calvin Watson would work off the ball cutting through off ball screens and find openings on the court. Jordan, Vaughn's and others need to do this and have the nerve to shoot the ball off the catch. This y be a player or a coach issue. We are in the bottom of the league in assists and there is a reason why. We suck at working off the ball and when we do we do not hustle. Benford needs to get them to do this more and the players need to decide to actually hustle. The same goes on the defensive end! Hustle off he ball and deny their guards touches. If you overplay then bring in help defense but only then. We bring help defense at the wrong times and leave guys wide open. Players to not get it done on the court and Benford clearly needs to push this issue more.

Still waiting on some else solution besides firing someone...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

I going to say that no rational person would continue to back up Benford at this point. I stand by my word. Andrew doesn't sound like a rational person. I hope our AD is starting to realize this and puts his ego on the side and acknowledges he made another bad hire with this one and proceeds to move on and fix this problem.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Someone tell me where Benford lost the game for us? That is all I am asking....

You don't get it... When a coach like Benny develops this track record of shit you no longer get to ask that question. Now the question has to be "What exactly did Benny do that would/should have caused us to win that game. This is his team now. Gone are the excuses of inheriting someone else's team. Every single shitty thing they do is his.

• Upvote 2

You don't get it... When a coach like Benny develops this track record of shit you no longer get to ask that question. Now the question has to be "What exactly did Benny do that would/should have caused us to win that game. This is his team now. Gone are the excuses of inheriting someone else's team. Every single shitty thing they do is his.

I did not blame it in anyone else... I gave a simple solution. I would really like to see this team do what I mentioned above. It worked for my intermural and city team. It's worth a shot. Working off the ball is something we have yet to do under Benford and maybe it will change things.

• Downvote 1

A solution has been given, you just choose not to accept it as a solution. I saw a lot of quit out there today... He who shall not be named has lost this team.

If he is fired fine. I will just support the next coach and this team. If that happens who knows we may turn things around and win out idk... I want success, but I still enjoyed watching this game. I just hate seeing us not shoot the ball.

• Downvote 1

Look dude, I haven't responded to you in a long time because its obvious you have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to the game of collegiate basketball.

Anyone that has ever played basketball in high school, a serious college intramural league, or a serious men's rec league can see this about you.

BUT... My last response to you ever on a basketball topic would be this:

Benford promised better defense. We just gave up almost 90 at home to an F'n Southland Conference team in an embarrassing 35 point HOME LOSS.

IfUNT was at all serious about basketball, this would be Benford's last game. Instead, we will get blame and excuses from an AD who refuses to admit a terrible coaching hire.

RV should be kissing Mac's feet, because without a winning football season, things would (or at least should) have been VERY uncomfortable for him in Denton.

This is unacceptable. Period. Benford should have been gone last April, but should definitely not be allowed to continue after this game.

But we will do what we always do.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

I did not blame it in anyone else... I gave a simple solution. I would really like to see this team do what I mentioned above. It worked for my intermural and city team. It's worth a shot. Working off the ball is something we have yet to do under Benford and maybe it will change things.

He has had the opportunity to put in his system. You are seeing his solution during the game. It is not working and apparently he is out of other ideas. What other option is there.

In order for you to be able to implement your ideas, you have to be the coach, which means he has to go to make room for you or someone else to implement those new ideas. Savvy?

• Upvote 1

Look dude, I haven't responded to you in a long time because its obvious you have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to the game of collegiate basketball.

Anyone that has ever played basketball in high school, a serious college intramural league, or a serious men's rec league can see this about you.

BUT... My last response to you ever on a basketball topic would be this:

Benford promised better defense. We just gave up almost 90 at home to an F'n Southland Conference team in an embarrassing 35 point HOME LOSS.

IfUNT was at all serious about basketball, this would be Benford's last game. Instead, we will get blame and excuses from an AD who refuses to admit a terrible coaching hire.

RV should be kissing Mac's feet, because without a winning football season, things would (or at least should) have been VERY uncomfortable for him in Denton.

This is unacceptable. Period. Benford should have been gone last April, but should definitely not be allowed to continue after this game.

But we will do what we always do.

Some people need to learn how to read. I said the game was pitiful. I said that there is a lot of blame to go around. I said that if Benford needs to be fired for things to change fine. Please read... I never once "defended" him today. And I would say my basketball IQ is quite high. We were a consistent 2nd in the A rec league my last year. I just followed what our point guard told us to and learned the game.

• Downvote 1

Still waiting on some else solution besides firing someone...

I don't think Benford needs to be fired. I think he needs to be reassigned to custodial engineer in the Super Pit. That way we'll make Andrew happy because Benny will still be getting a paycheck and he won't be coaching.

• Upvote 6

Only if my boy gene can be my assistant haha. He was our coach on all intramural teams.

Intramurals < Collegiate basketball. This schedule was set up for Benford to get some wins. If he can't coach his team to beat the SLC I don't know we win many CUSA games. Edited by filmerj
  • Upvote 1