Stephen F. Austin (12/15/13)

CMJ

Who said that...? Please read what is actually said. The athletic ability is vastly different but it does not mean that the offenses and defense run are not similar. I never compared them in saying one was better then the other.

Really? Did you really just... You can't put an intramural game plan into a colligiate game. On second thought all I heard all game long was "face guard, face guard" so maybe they have. So maybe we just need tohire your boy who coached you guys up so hard that you were tops of your a league. I'm done with you sir. Hope you enjoy this game you call mean green basketball. Edited by filmerj
  • Upvote 2

I propose Andrew & UNT90 be the honorary team coaches for Kram's GMG basketball game.

This is where I point out that I was honorary coach last year and led (or followed) my team to what must surely be one of the greatest upsets in GMG.com charity game history.

Had to be all coaching!!

• Upvote 1

Really? Did you really just... You can't put an intramural game plan into a colligiate game. If that were the case why don't we just hire your boy who coached you guys up so hard that you were told of your a league.

Why not? We ran the exact same offense and defense as the UNT team those years. Also he was offered a job under Johnny Jones when he came up to UNT for grad school (just a "player coach"). Originally they checked to see if he had any eligibility left but he did not.

I am no genius but I followed his lead and he actually is/was a great basketball player and coach (for a short time before he went back for his masters).

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Someone tell me where Benford lost the game for us? That is all I am asking. I am fine with changes. Remove coaches, remove players... Fine. But someone tell me exactly during the game where something went wrong and who was to blame. It was very pitiful but I will still always show up to the games, but no one has a good reason still. I have no solution as of now.

:sign0094:

Side note: I wish everyone on the team had Voss's intensity.

Minus the Technical foul, right?

• Upvote 1

What happens if Benford is fired mid season? No one wins....?

I guess you aren't familiar with this assistant coach?

http://www.meangreensports.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/rob_evans_850664.html

Reassign Benford to Rec League refereeing for all I care, just end this terrible, terrible, terrible experiment.

EDIT: Damnit! Ok, this is my last response.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2

I guess you aren't familiar with this assistant coach?http://www.meangreensports.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/rob_evans_850664.html

Reassign Benford to Rec League refereeing for all I care, just end this terrible, terrible, terrible experiment.

I am but is he the choice that people want? He would at least stay seated during most of the game haha

• Downvote 1

I was fine with the tech at that point. He was mad. And they all should have been mad.

A player losing control like that is not acceptable, at any level -- little league, college, or pros.

While the two points that the SFA player shot had little effect on the game, if this was a tight game it easily could cost the team a victory.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

A player losing control like that is not acceptable, at any level -- little league, college, or pros.

While the two points that the SFA player shot had little effect on the game, if this was a tight game it easily could cost the team a victory.

If it were a close game I would not have been happy at all. At least he showed passion. Someone needs a fire lit up under their rear right now. Everyone does in fact. From coach to player. All disappointing right now. Zero emotion while SFA was all over the place. Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Someone tell me where Benford lost the game for us? That is all I am asking. I am fine with changes. Remove coaches, remove players... Fine. But someone tell me exactly during the game where something went wrong and who was to blame. It was very pitiful but I will still always show up to the games, but no one has a good reason still. I have no solution as of now.

Side note: I wish everyone on the team had Voss's intensity.

So you will never been in favor of getting rid of Benford, regardless of how bad it gets?

• Upvote 1

Look at our roster. We have 1 freshmen and 2 sophomores. We are putting together teams, not building or sustaining a program. Chris Jones and Jordan Williams are juniors. I saw so much potential in these guys as freshmen, and it seems the type of offense we are running is not letting our guard play shine.

Alzee Williams was efficient last year. He had shown improvement every year he had been here. He's not looking the same this year. I don't know why. I'm pulling for him and Jordan and Chris so hard it's excruciating to see them not having fun and winning out there.

For some reason I feel like we aren't putting a premium on finding open shots and good looks. The offense we run is get the ball above the hoop no matter how bad the look, and crash the boards(or try to) and wait for the ball to bounce the right way and drop. This is removing all quickness and ability our guards have.

I don't have the answer Andrew. Our coach is paid to have them. I'm not sure the answer is inside of his binder.

• Upvote 1

So you will never been in favor of getting rid of Benford, regardless of how bad it gets?

I did not say that. I just wish a conversation could be held about what needs to change to be successful. Like oh hey guys it seems like our full court pressure is a bit weak we fall back late. Maybe we could move to a half court trap to save some legs. Or oh hey that might work but what about offense this motion sucks. We swing the ball to much and never shoot off them pass. We should implement a flex offense or at least shoot off the catch think Benford could try that? There is zero critiquing of what happens on the floor outside of the coach. This season has been awful I can admit that. I rather look at what changes Benford should do instead of just writing the man off. If he is fired fine. I will support the next man. I rather watch the game and see what needs to be done then stare at the coach all game.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Look at our roster. We have 1 freshmen and 2 sophomores. We are putting together teams, not building or sustaining a program. Chris Jones and Jordan Williams are juniors. I saw so much potential in these guys as freshmen, and it seems the type of offense we are running is not letting our guard play shine.

Alzee Williams was efficient last year. He had shown improvement every year he had been here. He's not looking the same this year. I don't know why. I'm pulling for him and Jordan and Chris so hard it's excruciating to see them not having fun and winning out there.

For some reason I feel like we aren't putting a premium on finding open shots and good looks. The offense we run is get the ball above the hoop no matter how bad the look, and crash the boards(or try to) and wait for the ball to bounce the right way and drop. This is removing all quickness and ability our guards have.

I don't have the answer Andrew. Our coach is paid to have them. I'm not sure the answer is inside of his binder.

I agree with a lot of what you write but Alzee is having a fantastic year on the offensive end.

A few weeks ago I talked about taking the ball to the basket and how bad it is, I got blasted and was told oh with this new foul rule and blah blah blah. We pass on a lot of open shots and then drive the ball to the lane. It's an awful approach and that might be Benfords game plan. If it is then that is on him for that poor choice.

So many things can go wrong when you attack the basket. Injuries, missing shots and not drawing fouls. Getting beat back on defense as well. A good look from 3 has one bad side you miss it. And even so you look for the long rebound. Statistics say the offense has a better chance to rebound a missed three then a wild lay up in the paint. The odds tell you to pull the three of the pass or cut in off a screen and shoot at the elbow. We do neither and this may be part of Benfords game plan that needs to change.

Edited by Andrew
  • Downvote 1

I did not say that. I just wish a conversation could be held about what needs to change to be successful. Like oh hey guys it seems like our full court pressure is a bit weak we fall back late. Maybe we could move to a half court trap to save some legs. Or oh hey that might work but what about offense this motion sucks. We swing the ball to much and never shoot off them pass. We should implement a flex offense or at least shoot off the catch think Benford could try that? There is zero critiquing of what happens on the floor outside of the coach. This season has been awful I can admit that. I rather look at what changes Benford should do instead of just writing the man off. If he is fired fine. I will support the next man. I rather watch the game and see what needs to be done then stare at the coach all game.

So you'd rather a message board discuss what Benny should do than he actually be held accountable for what he's not doing?

• Upvote 2

So you'd rather a message board discuss what Benny should do than he actually be held accountable for what he's not doing?

It's pretty boring to just write fire someone over and over and over again. I rather at least talk about the sport and have a good conversation instead of the same "fire them" approach constantly.

• Upvote 1

It is so sad how far we have fallen. I used to go to every home game and a few away games. I now refuse to waste my time and money until something is done. We aren't even competing today..... oh how I miss the the ol good days in hot springs.

Edited by mgfan
  • Upvote 1