Baker Mayfield transferring from Tech

Green Crazy

Rumor on Tech message boards is that Mayfield is transferring because Kliff opted not to offer him a scholarship. Mayfield was a 3-star recruit out of high school with offers from Rice and FAU. As a true freshman walk-on at Tech, he completed 64% of passes for 2315 yards, 12 touchdowns and 9 int. Mayfield is not a running threat. He was just a freshman, but that was the Tech offense, and Kliff's previous starting QB was Johnny Football. I don't see Baker Mayfield being an upgrade over Derek Thompson.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

Rumor on Tech message boards is that Mayfield is transferring because Kliff opted not to offer him a scholarship. Mayfield was a 3-star recruit out of high school with offers from Rice and FAU. As a true freshman walk-on at Tech, he completed 64% of passes for 2315 yards, 12 touchdowns and 9 int. Mayfield is not a running threat. He was just a freshman, but that was the Tech offense, and Kliff's previous starting QB was Johnny Football. I don't see Baker Mayfield being an upgrade over Derek Thompson.

You don't?

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

Agreed. He stared down every receiver he wanted to throw to (which was usually Amaro). This resulted in one of 4 outcomes after the first few games of the season: 1) Amaro was beastly enough to win the battle with defensive player 2) Interception 3) Near interception 4) He unsuccessfully tried to imitate Johnny Football by running or thinking he could scramble around to buy time which usually ended in a loss of yards. This would be understandable from a walk-on true freshman if there were some signs of improvement as the season progressed. However, despite having Kliff Kingsbury as his coach, he continued to make the same mistakes.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I hear you transferring to #UNT @BM_ShakeIT11 Any truth to this? Love to have ya here. #GMG

Expand

interesting

This guy is 30 and under twitter gold...... Anyone older than that might not like it, but if you are that old you're probably not on twitter anyway......

• Downvote 2

Kid went 5-0 in the B12, beat TCU -- I don't know but that's a pretty damn impressive resume if you arsk me.

He beat SMU(5-7), SFA(3-9), Texas State(6-6), and Kansas(3-9). He lost to Baylor(11-1), Kansas State(7-5), and Texas(8-4). He had Tech in a tie with TCU(4-8) when Davis Webb came in and won the game. He hasn't exactly beaten the top of the big 12(minus 2). He beat teams with a combined 17-31 record and lost to every team he played with a winning record. I think Dajon or Berglund would be a better option. I think McNutlty would be a tossup.

• Upvote 2

Agreed. He stared down every receiver he wanted to throw to (which was usually Amaro). This resulted in one of 4 outcomes after the first few games of the season: 1) Amaro was beastly enough to win the battle with defensive player 2) Interception 3) Near interception 4) He unsuccessfully tried to imitate Johnny Football by running or thinking he could scramble around to buy time which usually ended in a loss of yards. This would be understandable from a walk-on true freshman if there were some signs of improvement as the season progressed. However, despite having Kliff Kingsbury as his coach, he continued to make the same mistakes.

Yeah, we certainly don't want a quarterback who stares down receivers.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

He beat SMU(5-7), SFA(3-9), Texas State(6-6), and Kansas(3-9). He lost to Baylor(11-1), Kansas State(7-5), and Texas(8-4). He had Tech in a tie with TCU(4-8) when Davis Webb came in and won the game. He hasn't exactly beaten the top of the big 12(minus 2). He beat teams with a combined 17-31 record and lost to every team he played with a winning record. I think Dajon or Berglund would be a better option. I think McNutlty would be a tossup.

Dajon and Berglund and even McNulty are unproven in comparison. Not to say they wouldn't be better or worse we just don't know. This kid has shown as a true freshman he can play a bit against D-I comp. He has a redshirt year so sitting out he would have 3 years to play 3. I think that makes him a valuable commodity.

For the life of me I can't understand why he would transfer. Perhaps Tech has been too slow to award him a scholarship? He is certainly deserving of one.

Dajon and Berglund and even McNulty are unproven in comparison. Not to say they wouldn't be better or worse we just don't know. This kid has shown as a true freshman he can play a bit against D-I comp. He has a redshirt year so sitting out he would have 3 years to play 3. I think that makes him a valuable commodity.

For the life of me I can't understand why he would transfer. Perhaps Tech has been too slow to award him a scholarship? He is certainly deserving of one.

Actually as a walk on I think he can transfer and play right away. A similar situation happened to Minnesota a few years back.

Your crazy Watch the kid at the start of the season and he looked great. Great arm strength and can run the ball. Might be 6' , but looked great then got hurt.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Your crazy Watch the kid at the start of the season and he looked great. Great arm strength and can run the ball. Might be 6' , but looked great then got hurt.

Thompson's rivals page showed a 4.7 40yd dash while Mayfield's shows a 4.65. Thompson is probably 4 inches taller. Mayfield thinks he is a runner but he is not. Anyone that actually watched him play against Texas would know this.

• Upvote 1