Heart of Dallas Bowl 2014 - UNT needs to think BIG

Harry

I think Rick and Plumm de-railed bro-bro. I didn't even realize there was some animosity toward UNT-Dallas from UNT-Denton folks. My bad.

CRW: I don't really think animosity is the right word here. There's no hatin' going on, either. Just a little bit of opinionatin'...that's all.

UNT-Denton needs to raise another $300 MM or more to get its Texas Tier 1 Research University status, and many of us just didn't see UNT as a school with all the resources it would really need to spread our wings (so to speak) and be a system.

I think it probably should have stuck (maybe) with a UNT Law School and UNTHSC at Fort Worth and that be it. I would say this even if UNT would have put another free-standing university in Gainsville, Allen, Frisco,Sherman or wherever for that matter.

We all hope success for UNT-Dallas but not at UNT-Denton's expense and that mostly due to limited resources for both.

• Upvote 1

We should not offer so much as a lollipop to UNT Dallas OR the Law School.

Good grief!!!!

Rick

Amen, bro! UNT Law or UNT-Dallas are no more a part of us than UTEP or UTSA are of flagship UT-Austin.

Our BOR's back in the day let the real plums get away from our main campus (among a few other dunder-head things they've done the last 25 or so years). Sometimes its hard to believe that so many of our UNT BOR's have had very successful businesses the way they've run our campus at time. On their behalf, I think they just hit a home run with this new UNT prez' hire, though. (You have to give credit when credit is due).

Ya'll two are silly.

• Upvote 1

CRW: I don't really think animosity is the right word here. There's no hatin' going on, either. Just a little bit of opinionatin'...that's all.

UNT-Denton needs to raise another $300 MM or more to get its Texas Tier 1 Research University status, and many of us just didn't see UNT as a school with all the resources it would really need to spread our wings (so to speak) and be a system.

I think it probably should have stuck (maybe) with a UNT Law School and UNTHSC at Fort Worth and that be it. I would say this even if UNT would have put another free-standing university in Gainsville, Allen, Frisco,Sherman or wherever for that matter.

We all hope success for UNT-Dallas but not at UNT-Denton's expense and that mostly due to limited resources for both.

Got it. I just don't see them as two separate entities as much. I think they can both benefit each other and UNT-Dallas could be successful one day. Most people don't think of UNT-Dallas as a seperate University like they do UTA and UT. They are both very close and many people take classes in both.

many people take classes in both.

Really? That's quite a hike between the two campuses. I got forced to take classes in downtown dallas once at the Universities Center, but never at UNT Dallas.

(That semester was super groovy. I ended up with classes in Denton, Frisco, and Dallas. I wasn't super happy fun time pleased about that)

Really? That's quite a hike between the two campuses. I got forced to take classes in downtown dallas once at the Universities Center, but never at UNT Dallas.

(That semester was super groovy. I ended up with classes in Denton, Frisco, and Dallas. I wasn't super happy fun time pleased about that)

Well for instance my brother-in-law is doing it this semester because he lives in Coppell and works in Fort Worth. He goes to Dallas for classes when he can and Denton when he can't because I think Fort Worth to Dallas is actually less traffic/time than Fort Worth to Denton.

Edited by ChristopherRyanWilkes

I know that we have not yet officially been invited to the Heart of Dallas Bowl but it would not hurt to start making arrangements for if it does transpire.

This could be a BIG celebration... with the new president coming on board, our inroads at UNT Dallas (new president there as well) and the Law School we could throw a huge New Years Eve party that could be a lot of fun!

I think having a big venue where we could have a lot of fans and also have Coach Mac and Dr. Smatresk, Dr. Rawlins, Lee Jackson, Mean Joe Green and RV speak to the crowd would be fantastic... Faculty, students, alumni, fans, the Band, prospective recruits and their families --- invite them all... make it a scene get Mayor Rawlings and other Dallas dignitaries to be a part. The Heart of Dallas helps the homeless so make some type of food drive where if you bring canned goods you get free admission.

We have so much musical talent at our disposal I just know we could get some major acts to play.

On the venue -- you KNOW there is a cool place in Deep Ellum or lower Greenville or heck even Gilley's over off of I-30 that we could talk into making it ours for the evening...it needs to be big but not too big.. you want there to be a demand for tickets.. you want it to be a good crowd.

The other thing, don't just make this a boring speech fest. Yes some speeches and get fired up stuff needs to happen but the main thing is entertainment make it fun! Have some great food and ambiance. Show a highlight video from Beyond the Green! Let the players come by early to be recognized...

This could be a HUGE opportunity to really open up doors in Dallas if you play your cards right. Don't miss this chance!

Back to the original theme of thread? :)

GMG!

I know that we have not yet officially been invited to the Heart of Dallas Bowl but it would not hurt to start making arrangements for if it does transpire.

This could be a BIG celebration... with the new president coming on board, our inroads at UNT Dallas (new president there as well) and the Law School we could throw a huge New Years Eve party that could be a lot of fun!

I think having a big venue where we could have a lot of fans and also have Coach Mac and Dr. Smatresk, Dr. Rawlins, Lee Jackson, Mean Joe Green and RV speak to the crowd would be fantastic... Faculty, students, alumni, fans, the Band, prospective recruits and their families --- invite them all... make it a scene get Mayor Rawlings and other Dallas dignitaries to be a part. The Heart of Dallas helps the homeless so make some type of food drive where if you bring canned goods you get free admission.

We have so much musical talent at our disposal I just know we could get some major acts to play.

On the venue -- you KNOW there is a cool place in Deep Ellum or lower Greenville or heck even Gilley's over off of I-30 that we could talk into making it ours for the evening...it needs to be big but not too big.. you want there to be a demand for tickets.. you want it to be a good crowd.

The other thing, don't just make this a boring speech fest. Yes some speeches and get fired up stuff needs to happen but the main thing is entertainment make it fun! Have some great food and ambiance. Show a highlight video from Beyond the Green! Let the players come by early to be recognized...

This could be a HUGE opportunity to really open up doors in Dallas if you play your cards right. Don't miss this chance!

You are right, Harry. A chance like this does not often come our way. Dallas Cotton Bowl, New Years Eve and , hopefully, a name opponent. I would certainly concentrate our celebration downtown, however, in an area around Deep Ellum and the new parks. Downtown Dallas is actually beginning to have a night life again and is the logical place for visiting fans to stay. We need to take advantage of this situation.

NT is the best fit for HOD and vice versa, let me explain. I truly believe we will bring more people to the Dallas bowl than a team like Rice. While I respect their program and all, Rice is one of the smallest size schools in DI (I believe around 3500 students), as I'm sure you saw that stat during the Tulsa game. NT has nearly 40,000 students which means we have a ton of alumni, and I would bet, a majority of them still live pretty close to the DFW area. All we need to do is continue these winning seasons, have a couple B2B seasons similar to this years, and we will see the sleeping giant awaken!!

Invite and bring everyone you know. Tell them about this season, new coach, new stadium and etc if they haven't been following and get them excited! It's time and a lot of people are just waiting. Let's stop that waiting for them and get them as excited as we are about this program! I'm so glad we are in our position with so much upside than a team like those ponies and etc in Dallas. I remember going to the NT TCU game in FW the last time we played them there and they had a lot less fans at their games at the time than we do right now! They were also winning and were either in the WAC or MWC.

I also watched some of the film on Brock Berglund, he is a stud too, as well as Dajon Williams at QB. One of those guys should be able to carry this winning torch! We are going to have a squad for a long time to come! Get excited and bring your NT friends/family.

See ya at the game

Go Mean Green!

It seems that doing something in Main Street Garden park (weather of course being a factor) right in front of the downtown UNT building would be a great location for somethin

Precisely my thoughts, jredallas, and I just thought of the obvious - a downtown pep rally at this very park. I was downtown during the tree lighting a few weeks ago and if the crowds that night are any indication of what might be down there New Years Eve, we could be looking at quite a party. The more I consider this possibility the more excited I become. Man, I hope we go to the HOD.

• Upvote 1

If it were me.......I would be looking at the Sheraton in Downtown Dallas to host a NYE Party with room specials. Across the street is the train station that takes 2 stops and drops you off in Fair Park right in front of the station. Since the Sheraton is on the border of downtown there is a ton of parking available in the surrounding neighborhoods.

Offering a place for people to party....retreat to a room.....wake up and easy train to the game sounds too perfect for me.

Train station. Good idea. The Green Line stops right in front of Fair Park.

• Upvote 1

If it were me.......I would be looking at the Sheraton in Downtown Dallas to host a NYE Party with room specials. Across the street is the train station that takes 2 stops and drops you off in Fair Park right in front of the station. Since the Sheraton is on the border of downtown there is a ton of parking available in the surrounding neighborhoods.

Offering a place for people to party....retreat to a room.....wake up and easy train to the game sounds too perfect for me.

Sheraton is a complete dump as far as I'm concerned.

I'm really worried about our attendance at HOD - put me on the record. Ticket cost is going to be a big thing. I'd rather be expecting nothing and be surprised.

How was our New Orleans Bowl attendance in the 4 years?

• Upvote 1

How was our New Orleans Bowl attendance in the 4 years?

All four games were on a Tuesday night, the final week of school before a christmas break. So if you were a school teacher, and we got a crap load of them, you had a hard time getting there.

Despite that, we still took between 15k-13k in '01. Then it bounced between 10k-13k the next three years.

In '02 it was estimated that Cincinnatti brought about 300 fans to the game. That's three hundred fans, and I have the pictures to prove it.

I'm thinking a local bowl game during a day off for most folks(Wednesday) should gain us a solid turnout.

BTW... Emmitt and I attended the Rice Armed Forces Bowl last year, and I'd say they brought between 2k-4k, mostly scattered about the stadium. The rest were Navy fans and locals like us just attending to see another college game as well as a future opponent.

Rick

• Upvote 1

Invite and bring everyone you know. Tell them about this season, new coach, new stadium and etc if they haven't been following and get them excited!

Go Mean Green!

This I cannot do. I did it with Benford and basketball last season and look how that turned out.

I'm sure it was Benford's doing, but in the off chance I'm a jinx I can't in good conscious engage in that behavior.