Silver Lining?

UNT 90 Grad

I see it working out like this:

Rice beats Tulane, wins the West outright.

Rice goes to C-USA Championship vs. ECU, ECU wins.

ECU goes to Libery Bowl.

Rice goes to Hawaii Bowl.

Then it becomes a hot mess. Tulane, Marshall, MTSU, and North Texas need to go somewhere. (Assuming UTSA gets left out).

Best geographic fit:

Heart of Dallas - Tulane or North Texas

Military Bowl - MTSU or Marshall

Beef O'Brady's Bowl - Tulane or Marshall

New Orleans Bowl - Tulane, MTSU, or North Texas

If you go strictly by conference ranking (today):

Heart of Dallas - Marshall

Military Bowl - Tulane

Beef O' Brady's Bowl - North Texas

New Orleans Bowl - MTSU

Note - Heart of Dallas did select Houston in 2012 even though Houston was the #1 team out of C-USA

Edited by UNTflyer
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It would be tough. We played like hell against an inferior team, killing ALL momentum and respect we had built up, killing our chances to be division champ, killing our chances to be conference champ, and putting ourselves in a position to be relegated to Hawaii for a bowl game. While we had some bad losses in the Todge years, but we were expected to.

• Upvote 1

Note - Heart of Dallas did select Houston in 2012 even though Houston was the #5 team out of C-USA

Actually, that bowl was pretty bad-ass. The reason I went was it was one of the few bowls (outside of the BCS bowls) that had a top 25 matchup. You had 11-1 Houston squaring off against 9-2 Penn State in a pretty epic matchup. Houston had just misssed getting into a BCS bowl because of their unfortunate loss in the CUSA championship game & the only reason Penn State dropped to the HOD Bowl was because nobody really wanted them with all the Sandusky stuff breaking. So, both teams that really shoulda been playing in much bigger bowls "fell" to the HOD bowl. ... And, for your sports break history recap for November 24, 2013, I'm Edddd Carter.

• Upvote 1

I don't know why I have to keep explaining this.

If you go strictly by conference ranking (today):

CUSA does not seed bowls by standing, except for the Liberty, and this year it seems CUSA is willing to change even that because the Liberty will not be a CUSA bowl next year.

The bowls pick in a unofficial order but the conference tries to put people in the place where they travel best. I don't see any way HoD would take Rice over us.

Edited by Cerebus
  • Upvote 1

It would be tough. We played like hell against an inferior team, killing ALL momentum and respect we had built up, killing our chances to be division champ, killing our chances to be conference champ, and putting ourselves in a position to be relegated to Hawaii for a bowl game. While we had some bad losses in the Todge years, but we were expected to.

Didn't look inferior in any way to me.

• Upvote 1

I don't know why I have to keep explaining this.

CUSA does not seed bowls by standing, except for the Liberty, and this year it seems CUSA is willing to change even that because the Liberty will not be a CUSA bowl next year.

The bowls pick in a unofficial order but the conference tries to put people in the place where they travel best. I don't see any way HoD would take Rice over us.

Did you skim over the part where I listed possible bowl bids by geographical fit?

• Upvote 1

Did you skim over the part where I listed possible bowl bids by geographical fit?

We are the best possible fit for HoD out of the tie ins this year.

Every single "we could lose out on the HoD" stems from the "we'll be ranked below tulane/rice/marshall/botswana" argument, which is invalid.

I don't see any real chance of us missing out on this bowl this year.

Do you guys that think we aren't going to the HOD bowl think the HOD bowl doesn't want to sell tickets?

If NT goes to the HoD game, realistically how many more tickets will they sell? I'd think the bowl would want to get teams that will bring the most attendance and while NT is local here, it's a game on New Years Day at 10 am that has a historically apathetic fan base.

If NT goes to the HoD game, realistically how many more tickets will they sell?

Versus who? We'll sell more than Rice or Tulane or anyone else going to the bowl game will. It's not like the HoD can drop us and invite Texas.

We took 20k to play in an early december, middle of the week bowl game in New Orleans. We'll take more than that down to Dallas.