We have NO

TheColonyEagle

The quick out was like taking candy from a baby all game. UTSA must've called that play 25 times.

I didn't understand the lack of adjustments to the quick out and the quick screen. They didn't throw the ball down the field often enough to keep our db's so far back.

I'm in a bad mood, and still frozen. That said, it has still been a fun year

• Upvote 1

The quick out was like taking candy from a baby all game. UTSA must've called that play 25 times.

Rice also called it a ton but we fought through WR blocks and killed it. Rice fans were asking why the kept calling it when it never worked.

Today, we almost never fought through the blocks.

The worst part of this loss is the team seemed to be out of it and disinterested. Very Todge like.

• Upvote 1

I'm pretty sure I got blasted for discussing Derek costing us a game. He did.

He has been pretty awful all year and the play call has not helped him. How many times are we going to run on first down....? All game they hit little 5 yard routes and then ran it right down our throats. It was embarrassing but I will always be ready for the next game and show my support. Why we did not go for on multiple occasions still boggles my mind.

I liked how UTSA tried to score on us with 40 seconds left... MAC would have taken a couple and knees and walked into the locker room and not play for the win. UTSA took alone chances we have not taken under MAC. I still support the man but this game was just terrible :/

• Upvote 2

ame="Andrew" post="786063" timestamp="1385259617"]

Didn't surprise me. At all.

True that and I know I get jumped all over on the basketball boards for being a "Benford Supporter", but here it is so much easier to see where it all goes wrong. And in football it has not been all pretty. The coaches calls make a huge impact and we play not to lose instead of playing to win.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Also I said at the beginning of the year DT is terrible and I will stand by it. We won all year because of defense! He throws off his back foot and he is not very mobile. He over throws most of the time and does not always make the right decision. I have Niue how he and Mcnulty are at the top of the depth chart...

Also I said at the beginning of the year DT is terrible and I will stand by it. We won all year because of defense! He throws off his back foot and he is not very mobile. He over throws most of the time and does not always make the right decision. I have Niue how he and Mcnulty are at the top of the depth chart...

I made a post a few weeks ago about how Derek would cost us a game.

I got lambasted for suggesting such a thing.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I saw lots of dropped balls also, bad blocking and more o the offense this game. I will give DT his share but just his share of the bad he contributed to. Our offense has too many times relied on the Defense and special teams to generate points this season.

The offense by itself generated 7 points, the defense held them to 21 points which is not great but reasonable. This also brings up the wear down of the defense and the lack of inspiration the offense played with.

Could the rest of the team played better? Hell yes but we all knew this could happed as soon as we had to rely on the offense against a tougher opponent. We needed the offense to step up. Our offense did not score enough points to beat Rice. And if we had generated two touchdowns on kick returns and defense today we would have won again. But no team can expect their defense to score every game.

This rests at Chico's feet.

I saw lots of dropped balls also, bad blocking and more o the offense this game. I will give DT his share but just his share of the bad he contributed to. Our offense has too many times relied on the Defense and special teams to generate points this season.

The offense by itself generated 7 points, the defense held them to 21 points which is not great but reasonable. This also brings up the wear down of the defense and the lack of inspiration the offense played with.

Could the rest of the team played better? Hell yes but we all knew this could happed as soon as we had to rely on the offense against a tougher opponent. We needed the offense to step up. Our offense did not score enough points to beat Rice. And if we had generated two touchdowns on kick returns and defense today we would have won again. But no team can expect their defense to score every game.

Nor for Brelan to run back a kick-off or punt every game. Our offense got lazy.

i thought this topic was going here for a second

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQArDMKdSVc

DT did not play well... but drops in the redzone on a sure touchdown pass by Jimmerson and a first down opportunity by D. Smith killed any momentum we had whatsoever... i said it before and Ill say it again... this game played out almost exactly like the Troy game from last year, where the offense looked just as bad

• Upvote 2

i thought this topic was going here for a second

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQArDMKdSVc

DT did not play well... but drops in the redzone on a sure touchdown pass by Jimmerson and a first down opportunity by D. Smith killed any momentum we had whatsoever... i said it before and Ill say it again... this game played out almost exactly like the Troy game from last year, where the offense looked just as bad

As the qb, you take at least half the credit for the Jimmerson drop. He could've caught the ball and you could even say he should've, but the ball was not where you're supposed to put it as the quarterback. Same with those interceptions against MTSU that deflected off Brelan. they were behind Brelan when he had his hands out in front of him while running the slant. And all the times D Smith bailed out DT, not just this game but the last two seasons, you can't fault him for one play.

I agree that it was a team loss and the lack of offensive production doesn't just rest on Derek's shoulders, but if we had good quarterbacking on Saturday we wouldn't be playing the blame game.

Derek has two games left in his career. He can turn things around and play like he did against Ball State, or he can play like he has the last two weeks and be remembered for his lack of accuracy and inability to win us ball games that the defense and/or special teams could not.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Really people? Derek Thompson is terrible? The loss is on him? You guys are approaching insanity. He played average on Saturday. He made enough throws that with a little help we could have won the game. Thompson has never been the guy who UNT could solely rely on to win a game. He needs help from everyone around him including the coach staff. Saturday he didn't get that help. He missed on some throws, he had some drop passes on big 3rd downs, and he wasn't helped out by his OC.

Here's a thought why did the offense panic? Why did we throwing the ball 46 times on a blustery winter day when we are a running team? We didn't stay patient with our running game like we always do and it cost us. So for those of you who are trying to place all or most of blame on DT please grow up. His play on Saturday was not the only reason we lost the game.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Really people? Derek Thompson is terrible? The loss is on him? You guys are approaching insanity. He played average on Saturday. He made enough throws that with a little help we could have won the game. Thompson has never been the guy who UNT could solely rely on to win a game. He needs help from everyone around him including the coach staff. Saturday he didn't get that help. He missed on some throws, he had some drop passes on big 3rd downs, and he wasn't helped out by his OC.

Here's a thought why did the offense panic? Why did we throwing the ball 46 times on a blustery winter day when we are a running team? We didn't stay patient with our running game like we always do and it cost us. So for those of you who are trying to place all or most of blame on DT please grow up. His play on Saturday was not the only reason we lost the game.

The argument is not that he went out and lost us the game, or that he is the sole reason we lost. The argument is that he couldn't step up and be a difference maker/game changer. Of course he's never been that guy, and no one was saying he was that kind of player. Just that not having a difference maker at qb finally caught up to us when our special teams and defense finally weren't able to win the game on their own.

Soza was a difference maker, DT wasn't and they lost. Soza threw the ball 49 times on the same blustery winter day, and they aren't any more pass-oriented than we are.

Not trying to get into an argument with you, Greg. Just catching you up on what has been said.

That's is presuming that everything that Chico sends down gets sent out to DT.....unfiltered.

My belief is that McCarney vetos a lot of what is sent down.

McCarney is basically DD, but with more personality and motivational ability.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Or, can we just admit that UTSA has a pretty good defense, maybe? Half of their defensive line is comprised of a guy who signed with Oklahoma State and another who signed with Baylor. Those two teams were playing for the Big 12 title on Saturday, and those two guys at UTSA were regarded as good enough to sign by Gundy and Briles.

Throw in the DB who began at Oklahoma, and you've got a defense with some talent. They showed it Saturday.

Do all of you who actually stayed for the entire game feel the same way?

We stayed until the last 4 minutes with freezing kids in tow. We will be travelling to Tulsa as well. Will you? It's easy to sit at your compound and point fingers, isn't it?

The only thing about DT that angers me is that we continues to overthrow. At this point in the season, it is not really worth complaints with the exception of putting our receivers at risk of injury. Again. He is going to have a gpod game or a really bad one.

Edited by SSP

We stayed until the last 4 minutes with freezing kids in tow. We will be travelling to Tulsa as well. Will you? It's easy to sit at your compound and point fingers, isn't it?

First off...that's certainly not true as you were in the chat-room most of the 4th quarter. Perhaps that's where you're confused...that 4 you left before represented quarters, not minutes.

Secondly...you said you left because of the performance.

Lastly...and most importantly..."easy" isn't a word that I, or any of the other alums no longer in the DFW area would ever use to describe what it's like for us to have such distant access to our program. It's not "easy" to try and convince some bar to put on the game for a school they've never heard of. It's not "easy" to scour the internet for some shady web-site with a broken and illegal stream...and it's certainly not easy that when all else fails we have to end up sitting in our living rooms with nothing but an audio stream to listen to for 3 and a half hours.

Everyone has cause and certainly right to leave early. But you should probably have a bit more tact or at the very least common sense to do so quietly and on your own terms rather than professing your willingness to quit on your team to a group of people who have sat through far worse, traveled for far worse and would have relished the opportunity to have been there Saturday, in spite of the outcome.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Interesting that we are just a few weeks removed from arguing if DT is a HOF.

Unfortunately not being able to see the game I can't really give much opinion. While I don't doubt DT struggled and the drops killed us the most frustrating thing in listening to the game was almost every 3rd down. I got sick and tired of UTSA being in 3rd and long and then hearing George say some incarnation of Souza back to pass....complete for a first down. Just disgusting.

Of course the defense has been the backbone this season no question! But that was terrible. Skladany has the guys say "Championship Defense" in the locker room. That was nowhere near championship defense on Saturday. Plain and simple. Zach Orr even admitted it.

And also funny how a few weeks ago we were comparing this defense to 2002. No chance the '02 defense allows that many 3rd down conversions.

• Upvote 2