coach mac

wardly

I highly doubt there will be any suitors after one successful season. He will need to replicate this with his own recruits before others schools come calling...if we lose him it will be because he left the program in a better place. Simply make a good hire and the momentum keeps moving forward. Marquette has a football team, right?

• Upvote 2

I think the greatest risk to Coach MaC staying is attendance. He's the highest paid employee on campus at apps. $450,000. And I think he likes what he does and where he does it. Attendance numbers seem to frustrate him. This is an area that WE can contribute to.

Beat UTSA. then, beat everybody else.

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 1

Money, family, health, etc. Too many things to list...

Seems to me Coach Mac has taken on the attendance issue as a personal challenge. His DNA is wound up in a combative competitor's soul.

On the other hand why can't we match the money to some extent to keep him? He has had an immeasurable positive influence on our university not to mention my own mournful soul.

• Upvote 1

Frankly nothing would surprise me on what happens. I do think he will end up staying another season but if a bigger program comes calling with a significant pay increase, I cannot see him staying and rightfully so. I do think we're in a position to increase his salary but how much? I am guessing realistically the most we'd be able to up his salary would be in the 700-800k range if that? Even the small non AQ schools will probably start the pay at a million plus. I say regardless of what happens we enjoy this season and hope that whatever happens after the season we're going to continue the momemtum and keep on being relevant and winning.

He has gone on record saying he is having too much fun here to leave right now.

I think he's here at least another year.

Experience has taught me to always take such statements with a very large grain of salt. I've seen a prominent coach say that, on record, at a press conference, then bolt for greener pastures the very next morning.

On the upside, should something like that occur, UNT is suddenly a more attractive place for better candidates to come coach. Mac's proven it can be done here. We won't have to rely on graduate assistants from Cisco Junior College for our candidate pool.

Experience has taught me to always take such statements with a very large grain of salt. I've seen a prominent coach say that, on record, at a press conference, then bolt for greener pastures the very next morning.

On the upside, should something like that occur, UNT is suddenly a more attractive place for better candidates to come coach. Mac's proven it can be done here. We won't have to rely on graduate assistants from Cisco Junior College for our candidate pool.

Do you really trust the person making that hire?

Really?

What 60 year old coaches have actually moved up? ESPN did an interesting story on former Northern Illinois coach John Novak, who turned NIU into a powerhouse, but couldnt move up because he was 58 when he started.

Again...he is 60 years old ...suffered a stroke and a heart procedure this year. How many large conference teams want to start over w/ a 61 or 62 year old? not many...the trend is going towards younger and younger coaches. I'm saying this not as a knock, but to be realistic about his chances for bigger and better. I hope we can keep him. I love his passion and energy each and every week. I like how much he cares about the character of the kids and he hates handouts. I'd love to see him retire in 5 years as a Mean Green Hall of Famer.

• Upvote 2

Again...he is 60 years old ...suffered a stroke and a heart procedure this year. How many large conference teams want to start over w/ a 61 or 62 year old? not many...the trend is going towards younger and younger coaches. I'm saying this not as a knock, but to be realistic about his chances for bigger and better. I hope we can keep him. I love his passion and energy each and every week. I like how much he cares about the character of the kids and he hates handouts. I'd love to see him retire in 5 years as a Mean Green Hall of Famer.

Why 5 years? Bill Snyder is still kicking at 74.

• Upvote 5

This is my feeling on the subject. Mac coaches here another 3-5 years and then retires. Chico is the head coach in waiting, provided that he does not get offered an ideal position sooner.

Frankly nothing would surprise me on what happens. I do think he will end up staying another season but if a bigger program comes calling with a significant pay increase, I cannot see him staying and rightfully so. I do think we're in a position to increase his salary but how much? I am guessing realistically the most we'd be able to up his salary would be in the 700-800k range if that? Even the small non AQ schools will probably start the pay at a million plus. I say regardless of what happens we enjoy this season and hope that whatever happens after the season we're going to continue the momemtum and keep on being relevant and winning.

good post

This is my feeling on the subject. Mac coaches here another 3-5 years and then retires. Chico is the head coach in waiting, provided that he does not get offered an ideal position sooner.

Good God no!

Have we still not learned our lesson about assistants no one else will hire as head coaches?

• Downvote 2