Derek Thompson... 1st ballot UNT Hall of Famer?

UNT90

If NT wins 10 games this season, then most probably yes. Otherwhise it really depends whether he would have contributed to losses from here on out with interceptions. This last year (which brought around some people but clearly not everyone) and particularly the last few games are very crucial to how his legacy at UNT will be remembered.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1

I don't think Derek Thompson is a HOF, not at all. And I'm a DT supporter. Now for this next statement I need to put on my bullet proof armor because I'm about to get pounded on. I was/am in the camp that Scott Hall isn't a HOF either. It is like my argument about other HOF. It is the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Really Good.

For me the HOF should be for guys like Mean Joe, Ron Shanklin, Hayden Fry. Mitch Maher (yes!), Booger, PC, Lance Dunbar and people like that. Hell even JQ.

It doesn't take away the accomplishments or contributions of integral members like Scott Hall and DT. But it also doesn't make them HOF. Just my opinion. Now watch as the negative points add up on my reply.

You're exactly right.

DT has no place in the HOF. The fact he has so many records speaks to our horrible history at the QB position, not to DT being a great QB.

I'll admit, he's been better this year, but he's still miles away from being HOF worthy

• Upvote 2

I don't think Derek Thompson is a HOF, not at all. And I'm a DT supporter. Now for this next statement I need to put on my bullet proof armor because I'm about to get pounded on. I was/am in the camp that Scott Hall isn't a HOF either. It is like my argument about other HOF. It is the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Really Good.

For me the HOF should be for guys like Mean Joe, Ron Shanklin, Hayden Fry. Mitch Maher (yes!), Booger, PC, Lance Dunbar and people like that. Hell even JQ.

It doesn't take away the accomplishments or contributions of integral members like Scott Hall and DT. But it also doesn't make them HOF. Just my opinion. Now watch as the negative points add up on my reply.

I agree with you 100%. And I've been really proud of DT especially this year as well.

The hall of fame isn't for bus driver QBs and solid players. It's for guys who take over games, especially at QB which is probably the easiest position to take over a game.

• Upvote 1

I thought yes he would be but after I read this I completely agree. He is not a HOF type player. good guy good qb just not HOF status

• Upvote 1

If NT wins a Bowl game this year, I would be forced to say maybe. I'm definitely not in TFLF category waving DT pom poms every week, FYI. I just think a bowl win is a very big accomplishment and wouldn't be possible without decent QB play. How many decent QBs have come through NT?? Not many, IMO...

Edited by Got5onIt

Not to take away from a good year, but DT's performances are not "special". This is the HOF, not the "Hall of a good Sr. Year". I know we have not had a lot to be excited about the past few years but the HOF needs to be for the very few and the vey special. What do we put on the plaque - "DT is a good man and QB who was able to not make mistakes that hurt us more than his efforts helped us"?

• Upvote 1

If we end his career on a huge win streak that includes a conference title, Bowl win, plus the records --- he's in the conversation. I understand the thing about only letting in the elite of the elite....but frankly we'd only have about 17 people in if we were that stringent....and that includes our other sports.

• Upvote 1

If we end his career on a huge win streak that includes a conference title, Bowl win, plus the records --- he's in the conversation. I understand the thing about only letting in the elite of the elite....but frankly we'd only have about 17 people in if we were that stringent....and that includes our other sports.

Maybe time to raise our standards?
  • Upvote 1