All Respects To Rice U, Jess Neely, King Hill, The Mob: But This!

PlummMeanGreen

:no: Just more typical solidarity from a UNT alumnus base that had it truly been a unified force 25 or so years ago, we could have demanded a Dan McCarney kind of hire then......but 500 UNT alums in one room will begat 500 different ways to hit the Big Time in the NCAA and that usually means you will stand in place nowhere close to the top (which we can more than relate to).

And to our hardy handful of the PC-types and those who.............. take all things so literally that they take the fun out things only mean't to be done in the spirit of intercollegiate athletics & competition I will say this...................

At the pre-Republic of Texas Battle of Gonzales was actually not the first time the "Come & Take It" slogan was used for a battle flag.

The "Come & Take It" slogan was used in 1778 at Fort Morris, Georgia (American Revolution) and its very idea from whence the slogan come goes as far back as 480 B.C. at the Battle of Thermopylae.

(from a website)

"Come and take it" most notably used in the American Revolution in 1778 at Fort Morris in Georgia, and in the Texas Revolution in 1835. The slogan itself can be considered a modification of the response King Leonidas of Sparta gave to the Persians during the Battle of Thermopylae in 480 BC. When he was asked that his men should lay down their weapons, he replied "Come and get them"

NOTE: There are better academic links of this slogan's origin before Texas adopted it at Gonzales, but this link below I sorta' liked the baseball cap being the redneck, Tea Party kind of Nazi (so says some) that I am.

http://rowdygentleman.com/products/come-and-take-it-battle-flag-hat/

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Downvote 1

If we used this in the Texas Revolution, why use the motto against another Texas school?

/confused

Confused and many why's: (RIce Owl fans reading this board must be laughing at our so intercollegiate athletics savvy and "intellectual crowd" over here)

Why do we have a Boomer when UT was the first to have such a cannon? Aren't we being copy cats?

Why did we once throw tortillas at Fouts after a MG TD when Texas Tech was the first to do that? Copy cats again?

Why use a green and white Texas flag at a UNT football game when UT stretches a red,white and blue one out the length and width of their DKR Memorial football field.

Why used a hand sign that looks more like we have leprosy than an Eagle Claw? Who the hell did we copy on that? (TCU's looks even worse....how does anyone know what a Horny Toad claw looks like since they are so miniature)? :)

Bill Cosby once asked in a monologue back in the 60's: Why Is There Air?

Once again.............500 UNT alums ='s 500 different ideas and directions; probably a reason we've been where we've been most of the last 35 years, 'ya think?

Dividing and polarizing is already a tactic being used in Washington D.C....we should let it stop there and try something different at North Texas for a change as in..................solidarity of like thought and mind to reach a common goal instead of making fun of a simple idea done out of fun? A lesser fan or alum would have given up on all this a long time ago. Seems over 200,000 plus DFW area UNT alums already have or just never gave it a try period.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Downvote 1

Technically, Gonzalez is not here, but it is there.

I'll grant that it's there from the perspective of here, if you'll concede that it also qualifies as "there" when "here" is alternatively defined as "San Antonio".

Under those conditions, Gonzalez would be neither "here" (i.e.: Denton/DFW) nor "there" (narrowly defined for the purposes of comedy as San Antonio).

If we can find consensus on the precise definition of the 'here' and 'there' pronouns with respect to the above, then I think it naturally follows that the original quoted statement is appropriately categorized as literally hilarious.

I await your response, hearty guffaw ready pending acceptance. Your prompt reply is appreciated.

I'll grant that it's there from the perspective of here, if you'll concede that it also qualifies as "there" when "here" is alternatively defined as "San Antonio".

Under those conditions, Gonzalez would be neither "here" (i.e.: Denton/DFW) nor "there" (narrowly defined for the purposes of comedy as San Antonio).

If we can find consensus on the precise definition of the 'here' and 'there' pronouns with respect to the above, then I think it naturally follows that the original quoted statement is appropriately categorized as literally hilarious.

I await your response, hearty guffaw ready pending acceptance. Your prompt reply is appreciated.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement..."
6IXJZBU.gif
  • Upvote 2

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement..."

6IXJZBU.gif

No politics. This is about linguistically precise comedy.

As I was PM'ed by one of our crack moderators yesterday and that was for me to PM or email some things I post, so, uh...........this?

To Cerebus and TTG: Why are you posting that which could have been PM's sent to each other? We all understand that yall are so much a cut above the rest of us here with apparent high IQ's and use of the KIngs Language so why subject all of us to your wordy tommyrot of which none of it is related to this thread? Are you not following the very rules of this board that you daily police and tell others when they don't?

So deferring to the first sentence of this post: What's good for the goose is good for the gander, perhaps? Intellectualize on that, UNT's "Harvard grad" wanna'bes who I suppose get woodies every time they see a dictionary.

Have A Nice Day! :)

500 UNT alums...... :no:

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Just saw it.

Cerebus, please keep your deranged, GIF driven polemics confined to the Eagles Nest. Your critiques of me as a compromised, institutional tool are perfectly welcome there.

This is the football forum. Play by the same rules as everyone else.

VideoEagle, I eagerly await your response to the more germane topic at hand.

Just saw it.

Cerebus, please keep your deranged, GIF driven polemics confined to the Eagles Nest. Your critiques of me as a compromised, institutional tool are perfectly welcome there.

Whoops! Yall did it again!

PM! PM! PM! (and that does not mean pre-menstrual to all those who take things so literally on this freakin' message board).

It's all about this....not anyone who posts or moderates for that matter:

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Downvote 1

Whoops! Yall did it again!

PM! PM! PM! (and that does not mean pre-menstrual to all those who take things so literally on this freakin' message board).

It's all about this....not anyone who posts or moderates for that matter:

Next you'll tell us that you played with our hearts and that you're not that innocent ...

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Just saw it.

GmFl4KY.jpg

TheTastyGreek doesn't care about Mean Green people.

ETA: Please check eagle's nest for callout post.

Edited by Cerebus
  • Upvote 6

Bite me.

500 UNT alums on the same page with some of this crowd.................... :no:

Wow, some folks just don't appreciate obscure lyric references, especially some who are apparently DJs.

• Upvote 1

I apologize for the delay.

After an exhaustive search of Google for nearly 30 seconds, I have determined there is in fact no "there." The cannon can not be there simply because "there" doesn't exist. Since the cannon doesn't exist, I have doubts about the flag as well.

However, there is a "Here." It's in Bosnia-Herzegovnia. For your ease of reference, I'm attaching a link to the driving directions to get from Athens to Here. Head north on Aiolou/Αιόλου toward Leof. It's a 15 and half hour drive. Warning, there are tolls.

• Upvote 1