Recruiting success for our CUSA opponents

Rivals.com recruiting analysts Jason Howell and Rob Cassidy address mail and Twitter questions from readers regarding the Midlands Region in their weekly mailbag.

AUSTIN-WALTER_7_13A_200.JPGspacer1.gifspacer1.gifAustin Walter is a steal for Rice.

There are some impressive classes out there on the non-BCS level, and there are a few that jump to mind. Rice has strung together nice talent. Running back Austin Walter out of Crosby (Texas) is an absolute steal for the Owls. His twin brother, Aston Walter, is a strong performer as well. Throw in San Antonio East Central quarterback Jeremy Jones and guys such as Destri White, Samuel Stewart and James Mayden, and you have the makings of a strong class. The Owls have put together a good one.

Tulane's class is pretty salty. New Orleans (La.) St. Augustine defensive end Peter Woullard is a tough guy with a great motor. Destrehan (La.) linebacker RaeJuan Marbley also has a nasty streak on the defensive side of the ball. Tight end Kendall Ardoin is a long, athletic prospect who is going to be a matchup issue, and Leondre James is a threat at receiver.

Louisiana Tech is doing good things on the recruiting front with guys such as Jaylon Ferguson, Brodrick Jefferson, Marlon Watts and Howard Wilson in the fold. Louisiana-Lafayette has quality pickups with Anthony Jones, Jaevon Walton, Shareef White, Genard Avery and Adrian Goodacre.

Those are a few, but Rice is the top from the Midlands Region.

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1558746

Rivals.com recruiting analysts Jason Howell and Rob Cassidy address mail and Twitter questions from readers regarding the Midlands Region in their weekly mailbag.

AUSTIN-WALTER_7_13A_200.JPGspacer1.gifspacer1.gifAustin Walter is a steal for Rice.

There are some impressive classes out there on the non-BCS level, and there are a few that jump to mind. Rice has strung together nice talent. Running back Austin Walter out of Crosby (Texas) is an absolute steal for the Owls. His twin brother, Aston Walter, is a strong performer as well. Throw in San Antonio East Central quarterback Jeremy Jones and guys such as Destri White, Samuel Stewart and James Mayden, and you have the makings of a strong class. The Owls have put together a good one.

Tulane's class is pretty salty. New Orleans (La.) St. Augustine defensive end Peter Woullard is a tough guy with a great motor. Destrehan (La.) linebacker RaeJuan Marbley also has a nasty streak on the defensive side of the ball. Tight end Kendall Ardoin is a long, athletic prospect who is going to be a matchup issue, and Leondre James is a threat at receiver.

Louisiana Tech is doing good things on the recruiting front with guys such as Jaylon Ferguson, Brodrick Jefferson, Marlon Watts and Howard Wilson in the fold. Louisiana-Lafayette has quality pickups with Anthony Jones, Jaevon Walton, Shareef White, Genard Avery and Adrian Goodacre.

Those are a few, but Rice is the top from the Midlands Region.

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1558746

Not a subscriber.

Did they even mention UNT?

Nope. The question was who was having the most success out of the non BCS schools. Their answers were Rice, La Tech, and Tulane. The only reason Id go to Tulane is to be in Nola and not for the gameday atmosphere. Unless you like playing in front of 200 people

Careful, this same thing could be said for UNT.

Oh, wait, our coach already said it.

The lack of playmakers on this team next year should scare the hell out of UNT fans.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 8

I guess I'm being a homer here, but I'd say our facility has more potential. It's realistic to think us having 25+ each game and actually having a home field advantage. It's going to be hard for them to come close to filling that.

Playmakers for next year is yet to be determined. I could name a few that I see stepping up:

Kidsy

Harris

Pegram

Dajon

Jimmerson

And one or two guys who haven't played yet. Plus incoming recruits. Lots of time to discuss that.

• Upvote 1

Careful, this same thing could be said for UNT.

Oh, wait, our coach already said it.

The lack of playmakers on this team next year should scare the hell out of UNT fans.

it should not be too scary, remember the cupboard was bare so DMac is only playing the scraps from Dodge .... but yes the lack of playmakers is very scary

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I guess I'm being a homer here, but I'd say our facility has more potential. It's realistic to think us having 25+ each game and actually having a home field advantage. It's going to be hard for them to come close to filling that.

Playmakers for next year is yet to be determined. I could name a few that I see stepping up:

Kidsy

Harris

Pegram

Dajon

Jimmerson

And one or two guys who haven't played yet. Plus incoming recruits. Lots of time to discuss that.

I agree. These guys are only going to get better.

• Upvote 1

Kidsy

Harris

Pegram

Dajon

Jimmerson

The statement "The playmakers for next year are still to be determined" is exactly my point. There are no sure things. There were plenty of sure things this year.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

I'm not so sure we had "sure things" this year beyond Chancellor. Well thinking about it we have guys who "can" make plays but I would consider them to be average players. What we lack are difference makers & game changers. No body beside chancellor can really flip the field. Jimmerson has the ability, but is in a soph slump. I could go into a long post about this topic describing what I think.

I'd love to see a guy like Kindsy get more touches in space. I just sense him being dynamic.

What happened to Carl Crawford? Okay I'm stopping now.

• Upvote 2

I'm not so sure we had "sure things" this year beyond Chancellor. Well thinking about it we have guys who "can" make plays but I would consider them to be average players. What we lack are difference makers & game changers. No body beside chancellor can really flip the field. Jimmerson has the ability, but is in a soph slump. I could go into a long post about this topic describing what I think.

I'd love to see a guy like Kindsy get more touches in space. I just sense him being dynamic.

What happened to Carl Crawford? Okay I'm stopping now.

Zac Orr was/is a playmaker. Hell, our entire starting line backing corps, for that matter.

Chancellor was/is a playmaker.

I wouldn't put DT in the playmaker category last year, but I would this year.

Trice was/is a defensive playmaker.

Next year we got no sure playmakers. Will we find some? Maybe, maybe not. Losing A LOT at the end of this year.

• Upvote 1

Zac Orr was/is a playmaker. Hell, our entire starting line backing corps, for that matter.

Next year we got no sure playmakers. Will we find some? Maybe, maybe not. Losing A LOT at the end of this year.

Who's going to replace ____________?! This is the big question every single year, yet we always find someone to step up. Who's going to replace Galbreath? Cobbs emerged. Who's going to replace Thomas/Cobbs? Dunbar emerged. Who's going to replace Craig Robertson? Orr did. The examples are endless. Sure, we have an experienced team this year, but players will step up next year. Trice didn't set the world on fire last year, but has been so much better this year. Will Wright has stepped up this year at LB, but we will have Akunne, Scott, etc... We are going to be just fine and there are young men either on the roster or yet to arrive that will step up and contribute.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Lairamie Lee does not approve of this statement.

• Upvote 4

We have equal or more talent than every team we play this year, other than Georgia. Time for the coaches to step up.

Next year the schedule takes off a sure loss at Georgia and replaces them with UT. A better shot at winning that one vs the sec bodybag games.

Replace Ohio and ball state with Indiana and SMU. Old dominion and western Kentucky are added. Next year we should have equal to more talent than most of our schedule too.

Yall do know that other teams lose thier seniors too. Rice loses a qb, 2rbs, 2wrs, LT, C, 2DEs, NT, CB, & 2LBs.

• Upvote 1

Or James Jones.

Not applicable. Wasn't on the team last year.

Obviously kids step up, but the difference is you are going to be asking A BUNCH of kids to step up next year. La. Tech and S. Miss provide recent examples of large graduating classes creating a problem.

Now, they also changed coaches during that transition, so that factors in, also.

More worried about replacing Abbe, Boutwell, Orr, Sarge, Bellazin, and Wright than anyone on offense for sure.

I agree. Where the heck is Sir Calvin? I was expecting a little more out of him by this time in the season.

Also guys, I know the big-school transfers haven't worked out all that well for us lately (save for Trice), but I believe Anthony Wallace will buck that trend and step in to contribute in a big way immediately.

• 3 weeks later...

Based on the lack of Sir Calvin's production so far, it would not be surprising to see a Juco DT signed to go along with the two kids from Desoto.

Soft commitment from one of those Desoto kids. Hopefully winning helps with him.

And maybe a couple of other Desoto kids will reconsider playing for a TCU program headed in the wrong direction.

You can win and play in CUSA or lose and sit in the Big 12. Stop listening to your friends and think for a second. Do you really want to sit on the bench, sitting through 9 loss seasons while looking at about 18k fans announced as 41k?

Just think about it.

Edited by UNT90

Nick Orr is listed as a soft verbal to TCU.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Nick-Orr-131743

Also, as Cooley has stated, I would like to see us go after the cornerback from DeSoto, Howard Wilson. He's committed to La Tech but it'd be cool to see us flex our muscles and pluck one of their commits away.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1

Nick Orr is listed as a soft verbal to TCU.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Nick-Orr-131743

Also, as Cooley has stated, I would like to see us go after the cornerback from DeSoto, Howard Wilson. He's committed to La Tech but it'd be cool to see us flex our muscles and pluck one of their commits away.

I've heard Howard Wilson is considering switching his commitment to UNT.
  • Upvote 1