Pretty strong statement from McCarney on attendance

Harry

There are actually advertisements on campus this morning for the game this weekend. Maybe we'll have a student crowd.

You know, I don't even live on campus, but my son was there his freshman year, and I *always* saw signs (usually on the lawns) pimping the games. I guess they are still doing it.

I feel his frustration and wouldn't be surprised to see Mac end up leaving out if attendance frustration. Sounded like he was in a bad mood. I'm tired of half-full stadiums but it certainly doesn't seem like RV or UNT as a whole cares.

You are dead wrong about R.V. As to "UNT", that's a pretty broad brush. The biggest problem is, and always has been , lack of student support. As far as Coach Mack's frustration, take a number. He is unhappy about attendance, I am unhappy about on field performance. Perhaps we both should revaluate our positions at years end.
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Bottom line for the casual fan. You've got to make it a fun experience. Making it feel more like post 9/11 air travel with no in/out, no beer, grumpy fans who publish public slut shaming photos of wrong colors or shades, overzealous ushers, and 21 point deficits in the first ten minutes of play just don't do much for people looking to sit three stories up in the wing zone. I mean, have you ever climbed to the top of that thing? My calves were sore for two days after that!

So, some of these things, the veteran fans can help with, some of these the AD can help with, and others, the players and coaches could help with by, you know, trying to score once or so every few weeks.

• Upvote 3

You are dead wrong about R.V. As to "UNT", that's a pretty broad brush. The biggest problem is, and always has been , lack of student support. As far as Coach Mack's frustration, take a number. He is unhappy about attendance, I am unhappy about on field performance. Perhaps we both should revaluate our positions at years end.

I don't understand why people are complaining about student attendance. There were 3 sections filled for a poorly marketed 3 pm kickoff game that emptied out after they all moved and filled up the alumni side. It was one of the top 3 highest attended student games for Idaho. Student turnout is the only reason the ULL game didn't have an empty stadium.

Students will come. Alumni not so much.

Agreed. Jerkoff ushers and the no in and out policy doesn't get people to want to come back.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 2

It's too bad that now coach does what we hear from RV sometimes, and that's berating the best fans we have about coming to games. I've heard RV do this as well at special events like the CUSA announcement, where he starts telling us that the excuses are over and we need to support our team. This to the small hardcore group of fans that do support the team. It always struck me as weird. And if Coach Mac thinks anyone is listening to the coaches show that doesn't already go to games, he's incorrect.

Completely agree, the people who have heard his message will be there, its getting the others to attend. We have beaten this issue to death but the Ath. Dept. doesn't do enough to promote games on campus, a talons megaphone rally call through the dorms would be great, more signs and visual promotion would be great, signs that say 'GAME TODAY VS. __________ . free admission with student ID" would be great in every dorm and around campus would be great, it looks like no one really knows when we play and that is a big problem.

Edited by Green Otaku

Yep! Bring on the beer sales at Apogee! But, it sure has not done anything to fill up the Club Section 100%. If it were all about beer sales there would be standing room only in the Club area. There is not...not yet at least.

Don't you think the minimum buy in to the club section ($6,000 stadium donation + $500 MGC donation + $75/ticket) has something to do with it?

There are thousands of people who can afford a GA ticket and who the pull of (alcohol + football) can convince to try coming to a game.

I don't drink, so the appeal of alcohol is lost on me, but I understand it hurts our attendance.

• Upvote 1

We'll have 6 in our group. What worries me are the fans that think that cheering against our team will help. The behavior from a group of fans sitting behind us was really embarrassing during the Ball State game. I have never figured out how yelling for the coaches to get fired or for DT to get benched inspires the team to improve. I get being passionate, but they should have sat in the Ball State section if all they were doing was yelling against our team. When we came back and won...radio silence from them. Didn't hear a peep of Good Job Mac, or "Great Game DT"...

They made the experience for fans around them extremely uncomfortable. If I were a casual fan, I don't think I would like to come back to that environment. My 9 year old son couldn't figure out why they were cheering against UNT wearing green gear.

Hopefully every play is played to perfection, there are zero incompletions, and every single tackle is made on Saturday to keep them cheering in a positive way.

• Upvote 4

Don't you think the minimum buy in to the club section ($6,000 stadium donation + $500 MGC donation + $75/ticket) has something to do with it?

There are thousands of people who can afford a GA ticket and who the pull of (alcohol + football) can convince to try coming to a game.

I don't drink, so the appeal of alcohol is lost on me, but I understand it hurts our attendance.

Hmmmmm...NO...where did you get that bad information??? Buy in to the Club level is way way below $6000 depending upon where you decide you would like your seat location. Something in the $1800 per seat range as I recall.

And, now I understand...you don't drink! Might want to cosider having a cold one once in awhile, might make you a bit more mellow! YOu know, maybe not throwing out those..."kill you and death wish things" due to posting on a message board...just sayin....

We'll have 6 in our group. What worries me are the fans that think that cheering against our team will help. The behavior from a group of fans sitting behind us was really embarrassing during the Ball State game. I have never figured out how yelling for the coaches to get fired or for DT to get benched inspires the team to improve. I get being passionate, but they should have sat in the Ball State section if all they were doing was yelling against our team. When we came back and won...radio silence from them. Didn't hear a peep of Good Job Mac, or "Great Game DT"...

They made the experience for fans around them extremely uncomfortable. If I were a casual fan, I don't think I would like to come back to that environment. My 9 year old son couldn't figure out why they were cheering against UNT wearing green gear.

Hopefully every play is played to perfection, there are zero incompletions, and every single tackle is made on Saturday to keep them cheering in a positive way.

This...well said.

Hmmmmm...NO...where did you get that bad information??? Buy in to the Club level is way way below $6000 depending upon where you decide you would like your seat location. Something in the $1800 per seat range as I recall.

And, now I understand...you don't drink! Might want to cosider having a cold one once in awhile, might make you a bit more mellow! YOu know, maybe not throwing out those..."kill you and death wish things" due to posting on a message board...just sayin....

"...but only slightly less well known is never go in against Cerberus when death is on the line!"

Minimum is:

Per seat, one-time gift of $3125

Per seat, $350 season ticket price

Per account, annual $500 MGM donation.

So, for two tickets, it's $1,200 a year plus a one-time gift of $6,250.

Edited by oldguystudent
  • Upvote 4

Mark,

Did this info change? If no, then for 2 seats in the cheapest section, you're looking at a 5yr commitment of $9,125.

EDIT: oldguy says the gift is PER SEAT. If so, that's a 5yr commitment of $12,250.

By Brett Vito / Staff Writer

Published: 01 October 2010 08:01 AM

Updated: 26 November 2010 02:11 PM

North Texas publicly announced a three-tiered pricing system for club level seating in its new football stadium during a reception on Thursday night at the Mean Green Athletics Center.

Each level requires a $500 annual donation to the Mean Green Club, the fundraising arm of the UNT athletic department, $350 for tickets per seat, per season and a one-time donation per seat payable over five years.

The Green level seats located between the 35-yard lines require a $12,500 gift, the White level seats between the 35- and 15-yard lines a $6,250 gift and the Silver level seats that reach between the goal line and the 15-yard lines a $3,125 gift....

- See more at: http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/unt-mean-green/20101001-Football-UNT-unveils-seating-price-3750.ece?nclick_check=1#sthash.M38hjiis.dpuf

Edited by MeanGreenTexan

So much misinformation just on club tickets. I swear people think they hand out hooded robes and medallions up there before the world domination meetings commence.

Just ask Dan Johnston, and he'll gladly tell anyone anything they want to know.

That said, perhaps they could do a wee bit better job disseminating information to the masses who don't actively seek it out.

• Upvote 1

So much misinformation just on club tickets. I swear people think they hand out hooded robes and medallions up there before the world domination meetings commence.

Just ask Dan Johnston, and he'll gladly tell anyone anything they want to know.

That said, perhaps they could do a wee bit better job disseminating information to the masses who don't actively seek it out.

Yep...my bad! Totally blew this one and happy to admit it. Started the math with the wrong dollar level for the 50 yard seats...even forgot what I paid (that's a good thing really) and it went south from there. Really...my bad here folks and I apologize fir getting the math wrong. Should have had CPA Oldguy audit my numbers before posting. I would delete the original post, but too many folks caught the error...big one at that...and have quoted it, so best to leave it up. Sorry, very, to have added to the confusion. Math is hard when you start with the completely wrong assumption! ha! While $3000 is not $6000, I get the fact that most folks buy at minimum of two tickets.

And, yes, call Dan now that this has been cleared up...5 year pay plan makes those $3000 seats fairly reasonable. Not as reasonable as my completely off math, but still...

Thanks to those who caught this and fixed it. Have no problem owning completely up to the gaff...facts are there!

• Upvote 1

Yep...my bad! Totally blew this one and happy to admit it. Started the math with the wrong dollar level for the 50 yard seats...even forgot what I paid (that's a good thing really) and it went south from there. Really...my bad here folks and I apologize fir getting the math wrong. Should have had CPA Oldguy audit my numbers before posting. I would delete the original post, but too many folks caught the error...big one at that...and have quoted it, so best to leave it up. Sorry, very, to have added to the confusion. Math is hard when you start with the completely wrong assumption! ha! While $3000 is not $6000, I get the fact that most folks buy at minimum of two tickets.

And, yes, call Dan now that this has been cleared up...5 year pay plan makes those $3000 seats fairly reasonable. Not as reasonable as my completely off math, but still...

Thanks to those who caught this and fixed it. Have no problem owning completely up to the gaff...facts are there!

DANG!

I was hoping there was a change in pricing. But that wouldn't be fair to you guys who got in on the ground floor. Maybe after this first 5 yr commitment timeframe is over the prices will come down a little... a poor guy can dream right?

• Upvote 1

For programs trying to build attendance (like us & most in the G5) I think the real ticket sales and large numbers of butts in seats promotions actually begin its planning in the Spring of every year prior to any Fall; that is, if you plan on having any semblance of success in the Fall.

Other than having a few consecutive winnings seasons, I still feel our final Big Challenge or mountain to climb at North Texas is to have a real college football promotions program aimed to get thousands of new non-student fans (because ain't that what we're basically still missing at Apogee)?

The UNT student body is another totally separate challenge or, uh, animal (if you will). I feel UNT athletics has put all their marbles into the UNT freshmen students summer orientations bag while seemedly ignoring the other areas,ie, the non UNT students of Denton & Denton County. Those are the new fans we need who just happen to live closest to Apogee Stadium. Any alums we get outside those 2 areas (DFW) could be icing on the cake.

For sure compared to the past, we have improved with new student and transfers summer orientation as far as getting their attention of our Mean Green football program. We had almost 4,000 of those students at a pep rally on the same day of a Coach Mac Radio Show but where the hell were they for the Ball State game? So IMHO........ UNT athletics does a great job in the summer during orientations, but during the Fall we seem to drop the ball with the students thinking "we've won them over" in the summer. Ball State proved that we have not.

UNT athletics does not have the staff or manpower to have an effective college football promotions program IMHO. This is why I do wish Prez Rollins would recognize that and make this a campus wide challenge. Being on TV more than ever brings even more focus on empty seats at Apogee.

Right now we are at the mercy of our UNT students deciding if they want to show up or to not show up at our games. We have about the same season ticket sales every year so we are not going to see a dramatic difference of new fans on the east side of Apogee; that is, until we get a viable promotions program in place to change that. The Wing Zone? Right now it's our Pink Elephant of which all in the USA watching ESPN will see this Halloween because unless any of you have heard anything 23 days before the Rice game about changing that I for sure have not heard of any hint of a viable or significant real butts in seats promotions for our game against the Owls. Again, putting larger numbers of fans in the Wing Zone on Halloween Night should have already been planned and put in the can (so to speak) as far back as last Spring if I understand how successful college promotions timelines for planning are done.

In spite of our W/L record the last 8 years, our UNT students have done a fairly decent job showing up in the past but they don't seem to understand that we have 5 or 6 home games every season of which their school needs them to show up for every home game; you know, we're only asking then to committ to 5 or 6 Game Days out of 52 weeks? We are also asking them to completely change our culture as to drop the games they attend attitude based on who we are playing or even the weather (which rain has been forecast for this weekend). Can you imagine Iowa Hawkeye fans saying "we ain't coming to Kinnick Stadium today because it's below freezing and there's a foot of snow on the ground?" :(

This Just Did Not Make Any Sense: The UNT Frosh had a Pep Rally on a Monday night in 100 degree weather where about 4,000 plus showed at Apogee for a Pep Rally, but few of that group would be seen when we needed them the most for the Ball State game. Granted, it was hotter than expected that day , but students around the Southwest were at their Texas-college based home games the same day with the same weather. Again, no UNT students showing up on Game Day (or Night) at Apogee means we will have a bad day at the Apogee turnstiles; that is, until we diversify our present promotions modus operendis to become more than just a focus on the UNT freshmen class from one summer to the next.

To Prez' Rollins and his BOR's: This is a campus wide problem that needs yall campus wide help; that is, this Game Day promotions dilemma at our alma mater which will be seen now more than ever before by more in the Southwest as more of our home games are televised. We cannot hide empty seats any longer (as if we ever did before) because of our newfound TV coverage fame at Apogee Stadium, too.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I know it can be done. Once you get into the elevator behind the velvet ropes, the ushers become nice as can be, and believe me, it's not always because the fans are more well behaved. (Yours truly occasionally guilty as charged on that one)

You know. Thinking about this now, the CPC security team is probably what upsets me the most.

I've had the extreme privilege of getting to attend three games in Apogee's Club Level, while the rest of the time my wife and I usually bunker it out behind the North goal posts in the Wing... so with these experiences, I can confidently say that it is a night/day difference of the mentality of the CPC staff between addressing Club members and those in the common masses.

What really grinds me up is watching them persecute university staff for doing their damn jobs. At the Ball State game I watched in disbelief as a CPC duo in a golf cart nearly rammed a university van with Verde staff trying to get to the West entrance, eventually holding them up and forcing them to return form whence they came leading to the van getting stuck spinning out on a side of the Hill. In other instances, I've been asked to leave the stadium (ha, yeah right) because I was walking around with the Muscles Glasses McCarney sign or my wife was asked to leave the student section for not having a ticket in that area after the game was over.

This should not be the case; Apogee should be a completely welcoming environment and the CPC crew have often made it anything but.

• Upvote 1

It's not a hard formula to get butts in the seat: 1) Have an exciting pep rally, the night before, with the coaches,players, chear sqauds, etc. Make a big deal about it being "The pep rally of DFW"; 2) Have a great tailgate experience (we are pretty good at this); 3)Keep the game experience exciting (we will need to activities, better songs, better chearleaders who actually go to the front of the stands, etc.); 4) publish the excitement in all news media even during losses; 5)Make the uniforms more consistant with the school (UNT and the SOW so that folks will want to buy the gear and represent). I think one additional factor is to publish game times in all news outlets. I work for the university, my wife and I are alumni, we are season ticket holders, and we STILL have a hard time figuring out the UNT schedule. I believe these are the steps needed to get more butts in the seat and graduate from being North Texas State. I'm sure you will disagree. :)