Canales will be fired at the end of the year

UNT90

When have I never held the coaches accountable? I just don't think it was Canales' fault. Had we scored 7 points, then that would be a different story. Also, 40-6 against Idaho is great....not sure what game you were watching. Especially since we were able to put in our 2nd and 3rd string in for the last half of the 4th quarter.

Again....the first excuse most posters go to is the offense. Nevermind the 1st play of the game that cost us the win.

I'm not SURE it cost us the win, but damn, it's discouraging to see that, after we've given up quick scores on opening drives so often in recent years. Does Mac not know this has been and is a problem? I'd like to see us never defer again after winning a coin toss, and to start out with a play action pass thrown at least 20 yards in the air. Edited by eulessismore
  • Upvote 1

And we have more playmakers now. I just don't know how much of it is our HC stopping Chico from making better play calls....don't know.

If DT must start, can we teach him to read all of his recievers? I'm tired of 2 or 3 recievers lining up next to each other, as they did tonight, one running an outside slant and being wide open, and DT throws it to the other guy who is covered. We could have had an extra 10-15 yards even if the other reciever actually catches the ball.

Well, I really don't agree that it's all on Canales. That call to defer after we won the coin toss; that's a head coaching call, and looks pretty bad in hindsight, although I wasn't convinced one way or the other at the time. The decision to attempt the fg rather than go for it was a head coaching call, and we were all rightfully groaning about it.

Count me in the camp who wants to recieve the 2nd half kickoff. It used to drive me insane(insaner) when The coach who shall not be named always wanted the ball to start the game.

You obviously don't get it. He didn't call a TO because it was 3rd down. He would have had to burn 2 timeouts in a row (3rd down and 4th down) to get keep the clock stopped. He wanted to keep 2 TO's going into the last possession, therefore he only called one on 4th down.

Either way, time isn't what kept us from winning. It was lack of discipline and execution from the players. We've seen them play great before, so it obviously isn't how they were coached. They just didn't get it done tonight.

Plain and simple.

Disagree. We could have had 2:10 left and 1 TO. Instead we had 1:35 left and 2 TO's. That 35 seconds is huge. You can run a minimum of two plays in 35 seconds without a TO, probably 3. That didn't lose the game, but that was dumb. Watch the NFL today and tell me how many coaches in the same situation let the clock run like that. Spoiler alert, none will.

Chico is not great, but look at who he is working with. What is DTs strength as a QB? What plays would you call based on DTs skills?

DT is supposed to be a smart QB, but I hear about him locking on to WRs. So smart isnt really a strong attribute either. Smart in the film room, or the smartest we have on the team, but in the game? I havent seen it translate. And being smart does not matter if you dont have the physical skills to pull it off.

Play action maybe? Gotta establish a running game, have to have a good fake, and you cant be slow or they can still get to you.

The screen was his read onthat play. His only read. The only receiver he looked at. Head never turned. Why? Because he looks at only one receiver on EVERY SINGLE play.

No, because a screen is a single read play. You are letting the lineman into your backfield. There is no other read to be had. All or nothing from your 16 on a 4 yard pass play.

Just a terrible, terrible, terrible call, and one that Ohio was waiting for. It's not like the LaLa game video is super secret.

You obviously don't get it. He didn't call a TO because it was 3rd down. He would have had to burn 2 timeouts in a row (3rd down and 4th down) to get keep the clock stopped. He wanted to keep 2 TO's going into the last possession, therefore he only called one on 4th down.

Either way, time isn't what kept us from winning. It was lack of discipline and execution from the players. We've seen them play great before, so it obviously isn't how they were coached. They just didn't get it done tonight.

Plain and simple.

Time and extremely predictable play calling (again) cost us a chance to win this game.

So, You would rather have 1:26 and 2 timeouts than 2:20 and 1? When the clock stops on 1st down in college football?

Are you a member of the AD? It seems that is always the game plan of late. Take credit for any success, and blame all losses on the players.

Class act.

• Upvote 2

If you guys want to blame Canales, you should be looking at the possession we started with 8 minutes left in the 4th. That's right after Ohio took the lead back. We go 3 straight plays in 4 or 5 wide sets and hand the ball right back. As much as everyone wants to bitch about running it on every first down, that game situation called for a long, time consuming drive. DT had been wildly inconsistent all night long. To me, you pound it down their throats that drive. They were on the ropes, even having just scored.

Also, thought that Ohio defense could have been gouged with a good zone read attack. Wish we would have put in DW or BB in for a series to give it shot.

Bottom line, that Ohio secondary was bad and we didn't do a good enough job exploiting it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If you guys want to blame Canales, you should be looking at the possession we started with 8 minutes left in the 4th. That's right after Ohio took the lead back. We go 3 straight plays in 4 or 5 wide sets and hand the ball right back. As much as everyone wants to bitch about running it on every first down, that game situation called for a long, time consuming drive. DT had been wildly inconsistent all night long. To me, you pound it down their throats that drive. They were on the ropes, even having just scored.

Also, thought that Ohio defense could have been gouged with a good zone read attack. Wish we would have put in DW or BB in for a series to give it shot.

Bottom line, that Ohio secondary was bad and we didn't do a good enough job exploiting it.

THIS....is exactly right.

Our O line was dominant all game long and this was the time to pound it. Our D had just come off the field after holding Ohio to three points on their two previous possessions. Got to give them a couple of minutes to breath,... Make a first down or two. And what did we do? We crapped the bed and panicked and called a series as if we were down by 7 with two minutes left. We weren't. We needed a sustained drive for 3 to tie or 7 to win,.. and we had 7:26 left to do it in. They were expecting us to try and go deep and were continuing to shadow Chancelor as they had all game long, and we played right into their hands.

To me, outside of the pick 6, was the worst offensive series of the night.

Rick

• Upvote 3

THIS....is exactly right.

Our O line was dominant all game long and this was the time to pound it. Our D had just come off the field after holding Ohio to three points on their two previous possessions. Got to give them a couple of minutes to breath,... Make a first down or two. And what did we do? We crapped the bed and panicked and called a series as if we were down by 7 with two minutes left. We weren't. We needed a sustained drive for 3 to tie or 7 to win,.. and we had 7:26 left to do it in. They were expecting us to try and go deep and were continuing to shadow Chancelor as they had all game long, and we played right into their hands.

To me, outside of the pick 6, was the worst offensive series of the night.

Rick

Totally agree

• Upvote 1

DT had a CAREER game last week. Anybody who thought he would continue that pace was fooling themselves. DT is a bad habit quarterback. Go back and watch ANY tape you have stored away on DVR. From play to play it is like he is a different quarterback fundamentally. One play his footwork is great. He has the right balance. He follows through. He gets his full body into it. The next play he gets happy feet, throws off his back foot, short arms it. He has to be the most inconsistent fundamental quarterback I have ever seen. We can all agree he is slow afoot and has a average release but other than that he has good size. He has a pretty good arm(with proper mechanics). He does well with checkdowns. His problem is that from play to play he is Jekyll and Hyde. Against Idaho he went through his progressions and never locked in on receivers. He used good mechanics. He read the defense well and took what he was given. He spread the ball around and wasn't predictable. Against Ohio he was the most inconsistent I have ever seen him play to play. If he can't be consistent then he has to sit. I know we want to bring Dajeon along slowly and put him in in the right situations to build his experience and his confidence but there has to be a time when we let DT know he is not the answer.

I think the right running plays were called by Chico. There were times when there were multiple holes for the backs to run through and they inexplicably ran right into the defender. All of the backs looked like they were more interested in making a big play each time rather than hitting the hole and getting 6-7 yards. They were dancing around and juking instead of finding the hole and running downhill.

Where were the tight ends in the seam. Where where the swing passes. Ohio didn't seem to care about the flats and we could have had a few big gainers there.

All in all after everything last night we were still in position to win at the end on the road. That is what boggles my mind. If we play just a LITTLE better, we blow Ohio out on the home turf. THAT is what hurts.

Edited by Eagle-96
  • Upvote 1

Seems you guys forget about the pass that Carlos Harris dropped that would have given us a 25 yard gain on second down in that possession.

If you think we needed to run the ball more on 1st downs, you are F'n crazy!

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Seems you guys forget about the pass that Carlos Harris dropped that would have given us a 25 yard gain on second down in that possession.

If you think we needed to run the ball more on 1st downs, you are F'n crazy!

In fairness , that would have been a difficult over the shoulder catch.. Especially for a 5'8 WR

Can't recall what the pocket looked like , but given an extra second or two & Carlos would have gotten more separation from the LB that was covering him. Hit that in stride & it's a long gain

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

In fairness , that would have been a difficult over the shoulder catch.. Especially for a 5'8 WR

Can't recall what the pocket looked like , but given an extra second or two & Carlos would have gotten more separation from the LB that was covering him. Hit that in stride & it's a long gain

Go back and look at it again. DT did hit him in stride and he dropped the ball. One of the few times we were aggressive in the proper situation all game.

This is the same offense as last year. All the pre-season BS from the coaching staff is just that.

So tired of being lied to.

Go back and look at it again. DT did hit him in stride and he dropped the ball. One of the few times we were aggressive in the proper situation all game.

This is the same offense as last year. All the pre-season BS from the coaching staff is just that.

So tired of being lied to.

I think I'm thinking of a different play. I thought it was Chancelllor who dropped the 1 you are talking about

Doesn't matter , just a overall poor game for just about everyone involved

I think I'm thinking of a different play. I thought it was Chancelllor who dropped the 1 you are talking about

Doesn't matter , just a overall poor game for just about everyone involved

That was the 3rd down play over the middle where Brelamd almost made a circus catch of a ball thrown behind him.

The 2nd down pass to harris is the one that was dropped.

• Upvote 1

He will be RV's sacrificial lamb.

I'm fine with it. Any F'n moron who calls a F'n screen pass at his own 16 yard line with 1:20 left deserves to be fired.

Poor game management at the end. Another missed field goal. Ya, special teams are F'n great, coach. Those extra 3 points would have changed a lot in that last drive.

Heres where we disagree,

They didnt call a screen, they rushed 3 and dropped 8 and got to DT in 2 seconds and that resulted into a screen pass

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Lot's of folks on this site have turned on the guy that they wanted to be HC here after TD left - Interesting, very interesting!

A lots of people wanted a clean slate after Dodge and wanted Canales to just go away, but RV let Canales campaign for head coach and then forced him on Mac.