I would like to thank Todd Dodge again...

Just how many QB's have you actually seen play at NT?....starting with Steve Ramsey.

I enrolled at UNT in 1990. So, I've seen all of them from Scott Davis 'til now. We went back up to I-A in 1995, so Davis and Maher, it's hard to count them because they weren't seeing the same competition year in and year out.

We went I-AA in 1982. I saw none between 1969, the year I was born, and 1990, the year I began attending. But, Steve Ramsey is my mark because he went to the NFL and started.

I don't know who gave that a minus 1. That is a totally ok thing to say with valid points. People may not have loved what the product looked like on the field while Dodge was here, but believe me it could have been a lot worse.

He did not leave the program in total shambles, because he kept trying and was a good person off the field and recruit, that should be woth something. If you want to know what it is to have not only but results but the total train wreck experience, please look at what Mike Lockseley did to new Mexico (who just lost at home to UTSA).

Locksley's not there anymore . . . Bob Davies has replaced him, and he is actually an okay coach.

Locksley's not there anymore . . . Bob Davies has replaced him, and he is actually an okay coach.

Yes the point was more that Locksley left the UNM program a lot worse than TD left it in NT, even rebuilding with a decent coach in his second year they are loosing at home to a FCS move up. We did not go through that (this is not to say that things were very rosy when TD left here)

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1

Davis and Maher, it's hard to count them because they weren't seeing the same competition year in and year out.

Not to anyone who was paying attention. Some of Davis' greatest games came against the Soughtwest and Big 8 conferences. And one of Maher's best games came against Oklahoma State. Not to mention both did so while surrounded by much less talent and resources the competition had.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

I enrolled at UNT in 1990. So, I've seen all of them from Scott Davis 'til now. We went back up to I-A in 1995, so Davis and Maher, it's hard to count them because they weren't seeing the same competition year in and year out.

We went I-AA in 1982. I saw none between 1969, the year I was born, and 1990, the year I began attending. But, Steve Ramsey is my mark because he went to the NFL and started.

Yes, Ramsey went to the NFL, but very few colleges back then ran a pro-style offense like North Texas so he had somewhat of an advantage there. Plus he had a great arm and one of the fastest releases anyone has ever seen. And as to competition, both Scott Davis and Mitch Maher faced tougher competition overall. The biggest name game that Ramsey played in was Arkansas, which we almost won. But he never beat Memphis in the three years that he started. But Scott Davis in one year (88) faced Texas Tech, Texas and Rice. All but one of which he won.

If I had to pick my top four QB's in NT history that would (in their prime) thrive in our current offense, I would choose.....

Scott Davis

Jordan Case

Scott Hall

Mitch Maher

All of them had great arms, with great accuracy. And all of them could make things happen with their legs better than DT....especially

Scott Davis.

And all of them could be counted on to be consistent in their performance, week in and week out.

We've seen DT put on a great show......but the consistency jury is still out.

• Upvote 2

Wow I did just puke a little. Dodge sucked as a head coach period

We were very undersized and just now getting up to D1 size all you had to was watch the mean green march.

Watched the march then and now, and I gotta say , don't see a huge size difference.

By happenstance, I caught the LSU team march in 2008 while looking for the NT tailgate. Those cats were HUGE!!!

For the record, DMac is miles ahead of Didge as a coach, and this staff is miles ahead of anything Dodge put together, but if you go back and look at the size we were putting out under Dodge, it is very comparable to what we are putting out there now.

• Upvote 2

Watched the march then and now, and I gotta say , don't see a huge size difference.

By happenstance, I caught the LSU team march in 2008 while looking for the NT tailgate. Those cats were HUGE!!!

For the record, DMac is miles ahead of Didge as a coach, and this staff is miles ahead of anything Dodge put together, but if you go back and look at the size we were putting out under Dodge, it is very comparable to what we are putting out there now.

I was probably feeding you alcohol, over the last three years we have seemed to get gradually bigger to me. I bet if we could compare Dodge's last year with this year the Size difference would be easy to see.

Not sure how much different the height and weight would be, but I would bet they are much stronger and better conditioned.

Definitely. Take a 280 pound guy and a 290 pound guy, both in peak condition, and obviously the bigger guy has the edge. But if the smaller guy is stronger and more conditioned for long periods of exertion, then the height and weight aren't nearly as big an issue.

If people were really gullible enough to believe the whole "smallest and slowest team in FBS football" line issued by Mac upon arrival, all they need to do is wait until we have another coach fired to here the exact same thing.

It's coach speak, buying time, and setting yourself up for all the credit if you turn it around. I would do the same thing f I were in Mac's shoes.

But it clearly wasn't true (as was evidenced by his 5-7 record his first).

But I will never buy Todd Dodge a hamburger. His complete arrogance as a coach led to massive failure on the field that set this program back 15 years.

I agree, UNT90. Dodge's arrogance, naivete' and ego apparently would not allow him to choose an actual college coaching staff when he could and should have. If he had done so he might still be head coach.

I do think some confuse one being straight-forward not pussy-footin' around but getting to the point as being arrogant. IMO, I don't think the 2 are hardly related but I can see how some might think they are.

Dodge was a bit too dogmatic IMHO to keep fans off the DD practice fields but upon further review, that seems to be the case at most all other NCAA FBS outposts. I don't think its a good idea for a program like North Texas to be that way; that is, a program which is trying to re-build, build and then build onto its fan base, but FWIW no one asked me my opinion on the subject, either...because they know I would have given them one or two or three or four, etc, etc, etc,. :)

Dodge is gone and we should all really let him be gone but I will add this one thing (and that's it for me....promise..... :) but...the DMN once said Coach Dodge could have had a job with Bill Parcells and the Dallas Cowboys and best I recall we've had no coach in UNT history lately that have had similar offers of late. (Yes, I know Rod Rust was HFC of the N.E. Patriots at one time, too).

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I do think some confuse one being straight-forward not pussy-footin' around but getting to the point as being arrogant. IMO, I don't think the 2 are hardly related but I can see how some might think they are.

Dodge was a bit too dogmatic IMHO to keep fans off the DD practice fields but upon further review, that seems to be the case at most all other NCAA FBS outposts. I don't think its a good idea for a program like North Texas to be that way; that is, a program which is trying to re-build, build and then build onto its fan base, but FWIW no one asked me my opinion on the subject, either...because they know I would have given them one or two or three or four, etc, etc, etc,. :)

Dodge is gone and we should all really let him be gone but I will add this one thing (and that's it for me....promise..... :) but...the DMN once said Coach Dodge could have had a job with Bill Parcells and the Dallas Cowboys and best I recall we've had no coach in UNT history lately that have had similar offers of late. (Yes, I know Rod Rust was HFC of the N.E. Patriots at one time, too).

GMG!

We should never forget the mistakes that got us into the position we have been in with the football program. If you do, you run the risk of repeating the mistake.

I mean, just look at the basketball program.

• Upvote 1

Yes, Ramsey went to the NFL, but very few colleges back then ran a pro-style offense like North Texas so he had somewhat of an advantage there. Plus he had a great arm and one of the fastest releases anyone has ever seen. And as to competition, both Scott Davis and Mitch Maher faced tougher competition overall. The biggest name game that Ramsey played in was Arkansas, which we almost won. But he never beat Memphis in the three years that he started. But Scott Davis in one year (88) faced Texas Tech, Texas and Rice. All but one of which he won.

If I had to pick my top four QB's in NT history that would (in their prime) thrive in our current offense, I would choose.....

Scott Davis

Jordan Case

Scott Hall

Mitch Maher

All of them had great arms, with great accuracy. And all of them could make things happen with their legs better than DT....especially

Scott Davis.

And all of them could be counted on to be consistent in their performance, week in and week out.

We've seen DT put on a great show......but the consistency jury is still out.

Scott Hall did not have a great arm. He was smart with the football and would hit the often wide open reciver with the 5-15 pass attempts he got a game.

• Upvote 1

I was probably feeding you alcohol, over the last three years we have seemed to get gradually bigger to me. I bet if we could compare Dodge's last year with this year the Size difference would be easy to see.

Good bet. It also looks like they are better conditioned athletes.

Starters for the 1st game of 2010 OL = 293.6 ave D front 7 = 248.4 ave

Starters for the 1st game of 2013 OL = 302.8 ave +9.2 D front 7 = 255.9 ave +7.5

You guys act like NT just beat a preseason Top 25 team. Jesus H. Christ you guys. Threads about getting top 25 votes, now anointing DT one of the best NT QBs, and thanking Teflon Todd???? Wow, this is too comical...

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 1

Good bet. It also looks like they are better conditioned athletes.

Starters for the 1st game of 2010 OL = 293.6 ave D front 7 = 248.4 ave

Starters for the 1st game of 2013 OL = 302.8 ave +9.2 D front 7 = 255.9 ave +7.5

Not huge differences and nothing that one would notice in the march.

There is no question that strength and size has improved. Biggest difference is depth that I see. There are *more* guys that are big enough to step in and play.

This may be different.

But I still love how those small but slow players still gave UNT their best record in the last 8 years.

Dodge wanted to keep some of dd's coaches & rv told him to get rid of all of them. This was from coach Russell.

Dodge had no help hiring coaches nor mentoring them from coach rv after he hired him. So, the conversation should include rv here, especially if you are telling us if td was good or bad.

It's hard to believe there are people on this board falting the football coaches & basketball coaches w/o talking about the person responsible for the problems developing (then praising rv in their next post).

It was obvious dodge didn't know what he was doing but rv & let him do all the things he did, right ( ie. for all the rv supporters).

Therefore, td did exactly what rv let him do- understand! By the way, the 8 years of loses were brought to you under rv's direction or can you spin that around?

Looking what we have today in football- Dan was found by a professional search team brought in by Lane. So, give Lane praise/ distain for those results.

I agree, UNT90. Dodge's arrogance, naivete' and ego apparently would not allow him to choose an actual college coaching staff when he could and should have. If he had done so he might still be head coach.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1