West Texas A&M Fires Don Carthel

UNTLifer

http://m.amarillo.com/news/local-news/2013-08-22

According to the rule, Individuals employed by (or associated with) a member institution to administer, conduct or coach intercollegiate athletics and all participating student-athletes shall act with honesty and sportsmanship at all times so that intercollegiate athletics as a whole, their institutions and they, as individuals, shall represent the honor and dignity of fair play and the generally recognized high standards associated with wholesome competitive sports.

McBroom said Carthel violated the rule by, knowingly furnishing or knowingly influencing others to provide false or misleading information in the course of an NCAA investigation.

Rick

• Upvote 1

Effective immediately due to blatant NCAA violations. Posted this because many, including me, were interested in NT offering him the job in the past.

And now we can. He fits the profile of our last few hires ..

Edited by NT03
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 8

Sad day in Buffalo land. Hard to find any real facts about the action of the AD. All I can find out it was a recruiting violation , regarding one recruit. The AD said he does not anticipate any NCAA punishment. It has been reported that McBroom (AD) and Coach Carthel have not seen eye to eye on just about everything for several years. I doubt if the AD will be at WT much longer.

It was all a misunderstanding. See here for proof.

Poor Central is always the odd man out here. With UNC, Duke, and NC State as neighbors, it is hard for them to get attention unless something like this happens. Some may recall when a Central student accused the Duke lacrosse team of rape. This accusation was false (the Duke players were no angels, however) but as a result, there is now at least some sort of attempt from the two schools to make nice, such as playig their opening football game against each other.

• Upvote 1

Sad day in Buffalo land. Hard to find any real facts about the action of the AD. All I can find out it was a recruiting violation , regarding one recruit. The AD said he does not anticipate any NCAA punishment. It has been reported that McBroom (AD) and Coach Carthel have not seen eye to eye on just about everything for several years. I doubt if the AD will be at WT much longer.

You live in the Amarillo area, buff? I do so just curious if I have other Mean Green faithful in this part of the world.

Reason for the firing. When they held the LSC media day in Dallas last month, two players and another Coach came with Carthel. After the meeting those three wanted to go to a Ranger's game and asked Coach Carthel to see if could get three tickets, seating together, Coach did and the three paid him for the tickets, which he had paid for. The AD claimed this was against NCAA rules and represented a extra benefit. Therefore, Carthel was dismissed.

This is what is being reported.

Really ???

Reason for the firing. When they held the LSC media day in Dallas last month, two players and another Coach came with Carthel. After the meeting those three wanted to go to a Ranger's game and asked Coach Carthel to see if could get three tickets, seating together, Coach did and the three paid him for the tickets, which he had paid for. The AD claimed this was against NCAA rules and represented a extra benefit. Therefore, Carthel was dismissed.

Really ???

You're missing a key component:

knowingly furnishing or knowingly influencing others to provide false or misleading information in the course of an NCAA investigation

Jim Tressel would still be Ohio State's coach if he hadn't done just that.

Man that is odd, if it was blatant then why would the NCAA not come down with punishment? Sounds like good ole boy AD just wanted an excuse to fire someone to stroke his ego.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Really ???

You gotta be kidding? Wow!

Coach Cathel is a good coach and a class act.

I think I posted about it here, but a few years back Coach Carthel's Buff's were hosting Tarleton State I believe when the wife of the head coach of TSU was battling cancer and scheduled to have surgery at the time.

So at halftime of a packed game, Coach Carthel sent his players out into the stands with buckets and took up a collection for her to try and help offset the cost. I think there was a Star Telegram story about it.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1

You gotta be kidding? Wow!

Coach Cathel is a good coach and a class act.

I think I posted about it here, but a few years back Coach Carthel's Buff's were hosting Tarleton State I believe when the wife of the head coach of TSU was battling cancer and scheduled to have surgery at the time.

So at halftime of a packed game, Coach Carthel sent his players out into the stands with buckets and took up a collection for her to try and help offset the cost. I think there was a Star Telegram story about it.

Rick

You are correct, Rick, the Tarleton coach was a former UNT coach, Sam ?? Excuse me getting old mind sometime does not cooperate.

Man that is odd, if it was blatant then why would the NCAA not come down with punishment? Sounds like good ole boy AD just wanted an excuse to fire someone to stroke his ego.

Wrong info, it was not a recruiting violation. It was over buying Ranger tickets while the LSC media day was in Dallas, he purchased baseball tickets for the two players he brought with him. The players paid him for the tickets, therefore the NCAA said it was not a violation . The AD said he fired Don because he told him the players paid for the tickets at the game, when actually they paid for them on their return to Canyon.