A QB leader emerges ..

NT03

Trying to follow the bouncing ball

Most thought that BB was going to be the man

The last few days DW has been the next great thing .

Now we seem to be back at DT .

Look, I realize I might get blasted but sorry I cannot find a pair of glasses with green enough lenses to see why things will be any different this year with DT. This is not a case where DT raised his game (I cant remember reading where anyone commented that DTs making better throws, better reads, etc.) it looks like what has not worked for the past two years is still the best we have.

I HOPE MORE THAN ANYTHING THIS TURNS OUT TO BE WRONG

Right there with you brother.

I bet you we run the ball on the first 3 first downs against Idaho. Same QB, same offense, unfortunately.

And that isn't DT's fault, by the way.

The only things worse than a run for no yards is an incomplete pass or interception. If you don’t have faith in your QB you run the ball more. That is smart coaching. Hopefully our QB gives the coaches reason to believe.

don’t think you are off the hook either receivers!

Trying to follow the bouncing ball

Most thought that BB was going to be the man …

The last few days DW has been the next great thing ….

Now we seem to be back at DT ….

Look, I realize I might get blasted but sorry I cannot find a pair of glasses with green enough lenses to see why things will be any different this year with DT. This is not a case where DT raised his game (I can’t remember reading where anyone commented that DT’s making better throws, better reads, etc.) it looks like what has not worked for the past two years is still the best we have.

I HOPE MORE THAN ANYTHING THIS TURNS OUT TO BE WRONG

So what happened in the off season, because nearly everyone was praising what BB could do on the field from fans to coaches.

Any frustration about the QB positon should be directed at Coach Mac , not DT. Mac has had 3 recruiting classes to upgrade the position & has failed to do so.

Yes, the recruiting isn't DT's fault. What is his fault is his inability to progress and develop this far. Hopefully he has, but he just seems the same up to this point.
  • Upvote 1

Dajon is an upgrade. He'll be starting soon.

Our coaches are raving about Dajon like they did BB earlier & he's now 4th string.

Let's not forget Dajon's only other offer to play QB was Montana. I'm afraid our expectations of Williams will be way too high once he does get a chance to play

Edited by NT03
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I bet you we run the ball on the first 3 first downs against Idaho. Same QB, same offense, unfortunately.

And that isn't DT's fault, by the way.

Worked under Dickey and everone wants his QB to be inducted into the HOF.

As for me, I will support DT and hope this is his year where everything clicks.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 3

Not surprised. Thompson is the only one with a lot of D1 experience and is the incumbent starter, so it was obvious he was going to start. I'm pretty sure this is the depth chart

1. Thompson

2. McNulty (2014 will be between him and Williams)

3. Williams

4. Berglund (He'll likely be transferring soon.)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yes, the recruiting isn't DT's fault. What is his fault is his inability to progress and develop this far. Hopefully he has, but he just seems the same up to this point.

Really? If that's DT's fault, I think it implies he doesn't work hard enough at improving. I've never heard that feedback on Derek. I've heard the opposite. If you ask me, if he's giving it his all but not progressing, that's on Canales, not Thompson's fault. Edited by UNT 90 Grad

Worked under Dickey and everone wants his QB to be inducted into the HOF.

As for me, I will support DT and hope this is his year where everything clicks.

Different era and different conference. We don't have perennial FCS startups and the complete dregs of FBS football to beat up on anymore.

Hell, it stopped working for Dickey once Sun Belt teams got just a little bit better. Remind me who we beat that mattered in the Dickey Era again?

But, hey, why fix what is broken, right?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2

Really? If that's DT's fault, I think it implies he doesn't work hard enough at improving. I've never heard that feedback on Derek. I've heard the opposite. If you ask me, if he's giving it his all but not progressing, that's on Canales, not Thompson's fault.

Or it could be that he is simply doing the best possible with the talent that God gave him, and the maximizing of that talent gets you a mediocre Sun Belt conference QB that the coaching staff absolutely does not trust with a game on the line, even a game that means nothing.

I think we see DT start the first 4 games, but we see a shift come conference time, along the lines of Meager-Vizza.

Different era and different conference. We don't have perennial FCS startups and the complete dregs of FBS football to beat up on anymore.

Hell, it stopped working for Dickey once Sun Belt teams for just a little bit better.

My point is that we should all wait and see how DT performs before jumping to conclusions. Nobody, being practices and scrimmages are closed, has seen any of the QB's perform this fall. I really thought Berglund would make more of a push this fall, but maybe we all overestimated his ability at this point. A year ago a majority of the posters were singing his praises and explaining why Mac took him over Young because he is a true dual threat that is needed to make this offense go. It didn't work out, at least not yet.

My hope is that we see the "Kansas State DT" and not the "WKU/ULM DT" consistently this year. Until then, I will support and encourage the young man and choose not to run him in the ground prior to taking a snap this year.

The reference to the Dickey years was made tongue in cheek.

Or it could be that he is simply doing the best possible with the talent that God gave him, and the maximizing of that talent gets you a mediocre Sun Belt conference QB that the coaching staff absolutely does not trust with a game on the line, even a game that means nothing.

I think we see DT start the first 4 games, but we see a shift come conference time, along the lines of Meager-Vizza.

I agree. Actually, the reason my post was edited was because I initially had something very similar in my post. The reason I removed it was because we've seen him have success throwing the long ball. We've seen him have success marching the team down the field against top 15 teams. I think he can do it, he just hasn't shown he can do it consistently. Is consistency a God given talent? Maybe.

I TOTALLY agree with the Meager-Vizza comparison. I've been having that feeling all summer.

Hell, it stopped working for Dickey once Sun Belt teams got just a little bit better. Remind me who we beat that mattered in the Dickey Era again?

Four conference championships mattered to me. I am probably the worse critic of Dickey, but I do get tired of people that continue to downgrade what those teams accomplished. NT never had anything close to the conference win streak from 2001 to 2004, in any classification and few teams have.

And no the cause of the downfall of Dickey was not that that the Belt teams got a little better, NT got a lot worse. Dickey rode one exceptional recruiting class for all they were worth, then waited for the next opportunity somewhere else and not much more.

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 6

That Thompson, doesn't he know he should just quit and let a better QB emerge. The QB usually get the blame for a bad team, but it seems that some of you are taking this to an extreme.

If Thompson is the best QB, it is a credit to his effort. Everyone would like a superstar to take over as Qb, but alas NT doesn't have any of those at any position. Thompson has far more experience than any of his competition which is a great advantage. Add that factor and a very conservative HC and it will take a lot to replace him.

If the offense doesn't get significantly better than last year, than changes will probably be made. If the team is not going anywhere again, than it might as well go with an underclassman.

• Upvote 2