Dajon Williams

Harry

I don't think we've ever seen a freshman QB make a bigger impression on a UNT coaching staff. I expected Mac to back the praise down today but he didn't. I truly think he's got a chance to start.

What? Surely you havent forgotten already.

The first day...the very first day... and YOU were there because you were standing next to me,...Scott Hall forced his way to the top of EVERYONE's list with his instant maturity, accuracy and brass attitude. Which then later on in the week led greenjoe on a dare, to stand up and ask Dickey at a private evening event over off University Drive in front of God and everyone..."Coach Dickey... If a True Freshman ends up being the best you got in camp will you start him?". To which Dickey replied to the joys of everyone listening...."Yes".

Rick

If you're wondering what starting a freshman at QB can do for your team, check out Utah State. Started a fr two years ago and he had an okay FR year.

Last year as a SO he was first team All-WAC and led his team to a 10-2 record. And he's from Texas.

Not saying that happens here but it happens.

Hey, if he's the best QB, then it's a no-brainer. At this point, the coaches have to do whatever it takes to put us in a position to win. Is there a way to watch a replay of the press conference?

Don't agree with this. In-game D1 experience DOES matter.

To me it is more of a question of: Is his talent and ability to pick up the game overcome the other quarterback's experience AND talent level. In order to win that battle that tells me he is pretty darn good for a guy like coach Mac to do a 180 turnaround.

Don't agree with this. In-game D1 experience DOES matter.

To me it is more of a question of: Is his talent and ability to pick up the game overcome the other quarterback's experience AND talent level. In order to win that battle that tells me he is pretty darn good for a guy like coach Mac to do a 180 turnaround.

There is plenty of evidence to show how talent and maturity in some cases outweigh "D1 experience." I honestly don't care who starts, as long as the guy who is best skilled to help us win does. I'm sure the coaches are throwing his name around for a reason.

ESPN Insider (From Last Year)

Williams is a very efficient passer with enough running skills to keep defenses honest; displays the ability to move the ball primarily down the field with his arm, demonstrating the accuracy needed to get the ball to receivers on time and in stride. Has the size with enough athleticism for the quarterback position at the major level of competition. His frame appears capable of supporting additional bulk over time. We see a prospect who sets up quickly with eyes down field and ready to throw; carriers the ball a little low prior to delivery but throws with good balance and weight distribution, stepping up and into his throws. Gets the ball out of his hand quickly with a compact, ¾ delivery motion, demonstrating the arm strength and touch needed to complete the medium/long throws over the top; flashes the arm strength needed to put the ball in tight spots, on time and in stride. Displays the athleticism needed to keep the ball alive and not panic under pressure; is able to scramble, locate secondary receivers on the move and shorten his delivery motion to complete passes while under duress. This guy is a tough competitor capable of running the zone read play and gaining good yardage off the edge; although lacking a burst or second gear, his lateral quickness and smooth playing speed allows him to rip off huge chunks of yardage. We feel Williams has BCS throwing skills which may require some time and perhaps a red shirt year to develop prior to competing for starting time at the next level of play.

• Upvote 4

If you're wondering what starting a freshman at QB can do for your team, check out Utah State. Started a fr two years ago and he had an okay FR year.

Last year as a SO he was first team All-WAC and led his team to a 10-2 record. And he's from Texas.

Not saying that happens here but it happens.

Yeah, that's a good example of what can happen. But that takes the qb developing. We started DT a couple years ago as a redshirt sophomore, but he didn't develop or improve these last two years.

I think we go with someone other than DT this year. If it's Mcnulty or Berglund they will have 3 years of eligibility left to develop, Williams would have 4. The key is that they do progress and improve as we build our offense around whichever young gun is under center.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 2

If you look back to the offense that Canales ran while he was at USF, he really likes to utilize the dual threat QB. Canales hasn't had that kind of QB since he's been here and I think his offense would function much better with a dual threat QB. If you look at the other skill positions, a dual threat QB could make this offense much more difficult to defend. We have 2 proven RB's (Jimmerson/Byrd) with a really good third option (Pegram). Chancellor is a great underneath weapon with lots of speed and elusiveness in the open field. If Darius Terrell can come in and stretch the field north and south, this offense will force opposing defenses to cover much more space. As of late, defenses could focus on the running game along with a short, to medium passing game. In theory, this offense could really spread the field and force defenses to cover a lot of territory. I say if its a tie, go with Dajon. He will only mature with time and will allow Canales to run the offense that he really wants to. Look at the stats of the two QB's Canales worked with a USF. Lots of QB runs, plus Daniels was a freshman with Canales calling plays.

Matt Grothe Stats

BJ Daniels Stats

• Upvote 1

If you look back to the offense that Canales ran while he was at USF, he really likes to utilize the dual threat QB. Canales hasn't had that kind of QB since he's been here and I think his offense would function much better with a dual threat QB. If you look at the other skill positions, a dual threat QB could make this offense much more difficult to defend. We have 2 proven RB's (Jimmerson/Byrd) with a really good third option (Pegram). Chancellor is a great underneath weapon with lots of speed and elusiveness in the open field. If Darius Terrell can come in and stretch the field north and south, this offense will force opposing defenses to cover much more space. As of late, defenses could focus on the running game along with a short, to medium passing game. In theory, this offense could really spread the field and force defenses to cover a lot of territory. I say if its a tie, go with Dajon. He will only mature with time and will allow Canales to run the offense that he really wants to. Look at the stats of the two QB's Canales worked with a USF. Lots of QB runs, plus Daniels was a freshman with Canales calling plays.

Matt Grothe Stats

BJ Daniels Stats

I see some INT Ratio similarities there between Grothe, Daniels and DT

Lookit, when Mac makes a comparison to Brett Meyer who is close to an Iowa State football hero as you can get (4 year starter almost 10K career passing yardage and close to 1000 rushing etc) that mean something!!! That's a big deal! Could it be premature --- perhaps but I can tell you the look in Mac's eyes spoke volumes. This kid is special.

Matt Grothe Stats

BJ Daniels Stats

I totally agree...I think Mac and Canales both want running QBs. this offense just works better with a running QB.

400 33

432 35

446 23

325 37

459 41

Those are the yardage and point totals for the last 5 games the year Canales took over for Dodge. Riley was no threat to throw but I thought he and Dunbar were a good combo.

I have to think with this O Line and a QB that is at least a threat to throw....our offense will do much better than it has the past 2 years...

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 2

Fyi ... Canales had Riley Dodge his first year and the offense was good.

Don't disagree....however it just seemed the focus was more on running the ball after Dodge left (no stats to back it up, just a feeling) and Canales took over.

Dunbar had games of 218, 226, and 270 in those last 5.

They averaged about 250 yards rushing per game and more importantly over 30 points per game.

Edited by TheColonyEagle