New UNT Commit - Brandon Garner, Mansfield Timberview

Harry

You're talking to a fan who has gotten blasted for things on the football forum much less than what you have said about a few recruits. Just making sure you are aware of the recruits and their parents reading this board. You're obviously a true fan, I just don't think Brandon would appreciate what you say about him on here. And he could very well read this board.

I agree that JF Thomas will be more highly recruited because of his height. He almost certainly has the higher ceiling of the two, but Fonzale was the number one this year. Even if it was just because he has the experience. You saw them play live though, I just saw highlights and stats that blatantly show who was more productive.

I like your "call them like you see them" posts and have even said I like that. Just think we all need to be careful with any negative or neutral comments about the kids who have threads on this board.

I don't know why we continue to hide behind the excuse that the parents may read this board.

All I said was that I have not seen anything to warrant such high praise. At some point in life little junior has to grow up.

I have a 6-1, 267 lb DT nephew that's an 8th grader. Skyline and Bishop Lynch are actively recruiting him (parents) for next year. I couldn't believe the criticism of some adults directed at the kids at the game I attended. My sons were criticized when they played ball a few years ago.

Stuff happens. When your kid signs a letter of intent or pro contract, parents understand that it comes with the territory.

See Derek Thompson threads on this board.

• Upvote 4

Critiquing a kid's athletic ability is fair game. People who think message boards affect recruiting if we critique recruits ability give message boards far too much power.

These kids are used to getting critiqued and rated, from camps to coaches to high school fans to scholarship offers.

As long as you keep it about on the field issues, I don't see one thing wrong with it.

Edited by UNT90

JF Thomas is a better receiver than Fonzale Davis. Not negative but a fact. Check back with me next year to see if he receives a higher profile scholarship (than North Texas) I don't rely on stats or third party rating systems to form opinions of players. I also stated that Fonzale was a nice pickup when he committed. I saw 7 SOC games this year. and about the same amount last year. I am a 1972 graduate of SOC and have followed the program since my soph year. JF Thomas didn't play football last year; where Fonzale; was the only returning WR. Most of Davis' yards came from the bubble screen that was open all year. Thomas concentrated on basketball where he would be a good UNT recruit for Benford. I never said Fonzale couldn't play. I can't, however, proclaim him to be the next UNT Hall of Famer when I see him drop key passes game after game. (Stats don't reflect this) SOC did exactly what I thought they would do. They had more talent than anyone else they played this year. (approx. 10 D1's over the next 2 years) They beat a 3rd place team in the opening round (DISD school) and played great against Frisco Centennial. They turned around and gave up 63 points to a Wylie team losing by 3 touchdowns against an inferior team. Thank God they won't play Highland Park next weekend where it would really get ugly.

SOC also lost to a decent Carter team to finish 2nd in the district. Carter was blown out by a 3rd place Lincoln team in the first round. Losing in the 3rd round is not "making noise in the playoffs" They were, at one time ranked #10 in the state. My exact words, if I can remember correctly, were if they play like they played against Summit they would not do anything in the playoffs.

I have followed Desoto for a number of years now. (Saw about 6 or 7 games this year) I said, and still believe, that Desoto does not have a championship defense to win a state title. That is the goal for the program. Desoto has had over 100 D1's over the past 10 years. They were behind by 10 points late in their game against Coppell because of an average defense (and bad coaching) I never said that they would lose to Coppell. I may have said that they could lose to Coppell. The road to a state title goes through Allen. They can score on anyone but their defense will not stop Allen.

As for recruiting, why is every commit "a great get for North Texas"? If I don't agree that everyone is a steal, how is that being negative? I have followed NTSU/UNT recruiting for about 38 years now. Go back as far as you'd like and you will see a familiar pattern where every recruit is a stud! If a kid is undersize, not a problem. The coaches will put 20-30 pounds on them. If a kid is too slow, the strength coach will increase their speed. If a kid has no other offers, no problem, we must trust in our coaches. I call them like I see them. If you look hard enough, you may find some posts were I was extremely pleased with some recruits.

RJ Bond is the recruiting coordinator/Asst. Coach @ South Oak Cliff. Prior to SOC, he held a similar position at Skyline. RJ's chief job is to get every kid a scholarship. He has a HUDL for each kid that he sends to every college; with weekly updates on what the kid did positive each week I understand this process very well.

My sole purpose in reading a message boards is to learn facts about the team and players. I can do without most opinions, especially when they are based, in part, on "made for recruiting videos". Your point is well taken though. I get that mosts fans only want to read feel good stories and posts.

Thank you sir for your time and effort. I would like to ask all how do you compare a rated player lets say a 3 star out of Arkansas to a 3 star out of Texas or Florida? A 2 star 2-A recruit to a 2 star 4-A recruit.It seems to me that state and classification would play a lot into a decision.

I know the question wasn't directed to me, but I think the star ratings, outside of Rivals that admits to changing stars depending on who is recruiting the player or who they commit to, are based on overall ability and how they project not on their school's classification or where they play.

I know the question wasn't directed to me, but I think the star ratings, outside of Rivals that admits to changing stars depending on who is recruiting the player or who they commit to, are based on overall ability and how they project not on their school's classification or where they play.

This is spot on. All recruiting sites are guilty of this.

For example, Willie Ivery, our newest commit, was rated an 87, almost a 4-star, on 247.com in the spring. His offer list doesn't grow very large or include any big schools and they drop him to 79, just below a 3-star.

Who offers you matters more than who you play for, although both can play a factor. They just deny that the former matters.

There's a fine line between giving a useful opinion and putting down 17 year old children and then calling them a waste of a scholarship if they don't pan out.

If they don't pan out then it was a wasted scholarship! Is there a better way to put that? Now, please post for me when I put down a 17 year old child. (minus the exaggeration). Over the past 2 years, men's basketball has released 2-3 kids. Maybe because they didn't think they could help the program. Larry Brown (SMU) dismissed half of the kids he inherited. Welcome to college athletics and sports message boards. I'm not into the star system like many but don't these sites (Rivals and others) assess stars on kids as early as their soph. year? That would make them even younger children. Aren't they saying that the no stars and 2 stars aren't as good? Haven't I read on here, from those in the know, that the bigger programs shy away from these kids. Or, only recruit 3-5 stars prospects? Green92, criticism of these so called children start long before I pay to see them.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

There's a fine line between giving a useful opinion and putting down 17 year old children and then calling them a waste of a scholarship if they don't pan out.

17 year old children? You have got to be f'ing kidding me. One more year and he can carry a machine gun and fight for our country. 17 year olds are NOT children.
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Actually they can serve at 17. Still a child. Still don't deserve to have awful things written about them on a fan board by miserable old men who want to live vicariously through them.

They are still kids mentally. They also have had numerous talent evaluations since the time they were 13. They are used it it, as long as it is about athletic talent, and not speculation about their grades or off field behavior. That crosses the line.

The people who sometimes get their sports panties in a wad are the parents, who just cant take anyone saying anything but great things about their little Johnny.

Well, that's life. Get used to it.

Edited by UNT90

• 2 weeks later...

https://twitter.com/based_jarius/status/411518964187938816

ha. Someone isn't a fan of Cooley.

I feel like if you aren't being intentionally mean there is no problem.

Also feel like if you are an athlete you shouldn't read the boards. Bad for your mental health.

Lol, good find. I hope these recruits and players realize that fans who criticize players also support them. You should post more in recruiting forum Aztec.

Edited by BillySee58

Agree, none of the players should read the boards. Unfortunately people are intentionally mean and will stab you in the back faster than you can turn around if you make a mistake.

Athletes arent really people, just things to be analyzed. /sarcasm

Everyone is analyzed throughout their life by someone somewhere, even the homeless.

Again, that's life.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

In general, we build these kids up to where they can't handle anything other than how great they are. This is a recruiting message board where we discuss recruits and prospects. Life doesn't get any easier.

A better response would have been that "I am going to show that guy/fan that he was wrong about me" or "I didn't have a good game in the games he mentioned but I am always working to improve". Can't go through life wanting to 'charge up" folks who question anything about you. Prove them wrong!.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1