Jeffrey Wilson's recruitment by UNT

jtm0097

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

He has 2100 yards on the year. Man I hope we sign this kid.

Per the below article from ETSN.FM,

"The 6-foot, 190-pound senior ran 20 times for 286 yards and six touchdowns, which covered 55, 19, 1, 35, 35, and 4 yards. He enters Fridays regular-season finale at home against Trinity with 2,109 yards and 29 touchdowns. Wilson averages 8.8 yards per carry and has gained 4,438 rushing yards since the start of the 2012 season."

http://etsn.fm/elkhart-clinches-first-playoff-berth-in-a-decade-with-55-21-win-vs-palestine-westwood/

Edited by jtm0097

With injuries this year to guys like Pegram and Rollins it shows that running backs get injured unfortunately and you have to be deep. Wilson is high up on my wish list and I really hope we get him. If we could get Wilson and then Rutherford and Goree from Carthage then we'd be set on skill players thanks to East Texas recruiting.

Has Wilson said anything about when he's planning on committing?

• Upvote 1

I don't understand why they have failed to rate this player. He's the returning rushing leader with over 2,300 yards last year. He was a second team all-state in Class 2A and the first team pre-season running back this year per Texas Football. He runs a 4.4 forty at 190 pounds.

Normally, I like to see experts agree on 3-star athletes and North Texas get them but this but this guy has playmaker writted all over him. If memory serves he averages somewhere around three TDs per game. Damn well worth the chance IMO.

I don't understand why they have failed to rate this player. He's the returning rushing leader with over 2,300 yards last year. He was a second team all-state in Class 2A and the first team pre-season running back this year per Texas Football. He runs a 4.4 forty at 190 pounds.

Normally, I like to see experts agree on 3-star athletes and North Texas get them but this but this guy has playmaker writted all over him. If memory serves he averages somewhere around three TDs per game. Damn well worth the chance IMO.

Players don't get rated for numerous reasons.

Has he been to any camps? Has he been to any combines? Does he play for a name program, even at the small-school level? If he hasn't been to any offseason events and plays for a school that isn't a perennial power, his chances for exposure decrease significantly.

There's no way to know if he's a 4.4. Based on the film of him I've seen, I'd bet he isn't a laser 4.4. He's fast enough, especially with his frame. But legitimate 4.4 is serious speed. KD Cannon doesn't consistently run in the 4.4s. There isn't a 40 time I believe unless I know for a fact they had a laser on it.

There are a ton of dudes who rush for 2,000-plus yards in 2A who couldn't ever dream of being good enough to get on the field at the FBS level. Wilson isn't one of them. I think he can play FBS. But judging somebody's recruiting merits based on statistics and postseason awards is far from properly evaluating a player.

• Upvote 2

The 4.4 time came from Dave Campbell's Texas Football. I don't know if it's electronically timed or hand held but suffice it to say someone timed in in 4.4.

Texas Football may have put the time in their magazine without checking it. He also may not be 6' and weigh 190 pounds. All we have to go on is what is furnished by the Elkhart coach. Suffice it to say that he's not small or slow. The 2,329 yards as a junior and 26 TDs for a non-playoff team are legitimate.

I'm sure that he did not attend a summer camp or he would have been rated. But, summer camps cost money. Not everyone can afford to go. Still, if a kid is considered 2nd team all-state in a magazine that is the bible of Texas football why wouldn't some recruiting service be curious enough to see if he is legitimate? Furthermore, if four FBS schools show interest shouldn't that signal an additional evaluation? Never mind...they'd just grade him down because he wasn't on their original list.

The 4.4 time came from Dave Campbell's Texas Football. I don't know if it's electronically timed or hand held but suffice it to say someone timed in in 4.4.

I'd pretty well guarantee you that's hand timed. There's been an article linked to several times that talks about how subjective and flawed 40 times are, and that's true.

Not to doubt that this dude's fast, though.

Texas Football may have put the time in their magazine without checking it. He also may not be 6' and weigh 190 pounds. All we have to go on is what is furnished by the Elkhart coach. Suffice it to say that he's not small or slow. The 2,329 yards as a junior and 26 TDs for a non-playoff team are legitimate.

I'm sure that he did not attend a summer camp or he would have been rated. But, summer camps cost money. Not everyone can afford to go. Still, if a kid is considered 2nd team all-state in a magazine that is the bible of Texas football why wouldn't some recruiting service be curious enough to see if he is legitimate? Furthermore, if four FBS schools show interest shouldn't that signal an additional evaluation? Never mind...they'd just grade him down because he wasn't on their original list.

There's not a single 40 time in DCTF you should trust, but that's not their fault. They shouldn't publish unverified 40 times en masse, but the networks do, too, so it's kind of an epidemic.

Being second-team all-state by a magazine, regardless of its perceived prestige, and having a 4.4 beside your name on some list don't get you anywhere with college recruiters and network scouts. There are hundreds -- even thousands -- of guys on lists like that nationwide.

"Someone timed him in 4.4" is dangerous. Like Baylor S&C coach Kaz Kazadi says, hand times are for your mama.

The four FBS schools showing interest point goes back to what I said on another thread. The networks are driven by their BCS-heavy team-specific sites. Their analysts don't have much incentive to drive three hours into the country to evaluate a guy who won't be high-major when they can stay in the metro areas and see two or three high-major guys in a specific game.

Not all camps and combines cost money.

Scored one rushing touchdown, one receiving touchdown, and a two-point conversion in Elkhart's 47-14 first-round loss to Godley. Wilson also had a 72-yard scoop and score touchdown as a defensive player but it got called back on a holding call.

Season is done. Time to secure this commitment.