North Texas forward Tony Mitchell answers Pistons' tough questions

Harry

CHICAGO North Texas power forward Tony Mitchell expected the grilling over his underwhelming sophomore season.

But of all the tough interviews he faced this week at the NBA draft combine, his short time with the Pistons on Thursday night left an indelible memory.

That was probably one of my toughest interviews, actually, Mitchell said Friday afternoon. They got after me early, early. But I respect Joe Dumars and all those guys. It was an informative and great interview.

What was so tough?

They asked questions constantly, he said while snapping his fingers for emphasis. I had to give an answer and be honest with them. It was a great interview, though.

Read More: http://www.freep.com/article/20130518/SPORTS03/305180054/tony-mitchell-NBA-draft-combine-detroit-pistons

Any player on the team not named Roger would be lying to you if he said he gave full effort all season.

When it's one guy you can call him a bad egg. When it's an entire team it's coaching.

Then how do you explain Franklin? Just asking...if Franklin could do it, why not others? Same team, same coaching staff.

And, I do not recall any prior discussions revolving around the idea that EVERY player other than Franklin gave less than their best effort.

Seems some want to blame folks who have pointed out what Tony has himself said on several occasions and in so doing call them apologists for the coaching staff...all the while becomming apologists for players who admit to giving less than their best effort.

Interesting, don't you think? Just asking.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Then how do you explain Franklin? Just asking...if Franklin could do it, why not others? Same team, same coaching staff.

And, I do not recall any prior discussions revolving around the idea that EVERY player other than Franklin gave less than their best effort.

Seems some want to blame folks who have pointed out what Tony has himself said on several occasions and in so doing call them apologists for the coaching staff...all the while becomming apologists for players who admit to giving less than their best effort.

I think at one point or another, every player and coach was called out for one reason or another in chat or the board during the season.

Roger is a special player. His best attribute is heart/effort/will. Other than Jacob when he wasn't hurt I don't think anyone else gave full effort all the time (Patton might have but he was never really healthy so no way to really grade that).

No, I don't think it's particularly interesting that this team couldn't/wouldn't play hard for Benford. Enough people didn't seem to care enough or even notice to bring about a change in direction and North Texas basketball is less interesting overall as a result. It looks like we have to choose suffering for another year (or god help me 2-3) before this might start going in the right direction again. That isn't interesting, it just plain sucks.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I know tony worked hard and he's a great guy, but if he admits to "cruising" in the games, then what was his effort level at practice? And when your best player is doing this, then how much does that trickle down to the others? In my opinion, a lot. This isn't me saying the team didn't put in hard work, because i know they did, but that maybe it wasn't as much as they could have.

I'm not saying this is what happened, just speculating.

Edited by Green Crazy
  • Upvote 1

I will say this... Roger is unique in that. His gift is evident and his attitude is resilient. Something most people do not have and leaders need to nurish, unlock, and maintain.

• Upvote 1

Because when you are a 6'4" power forward, you better give full effort or your ass would end up on the bench.

Funny that many see no problem with our basketball coach only being able to get full effort out of one player.

It's kinda what coaches are supposed to do, no?

Tony didn't give good effort under Benford or JJ. I don't think he will give good effort when is on the end of an NBA bench and thrown into garbage time of lopsided games. If he is to give good effort he will need to be in the rotation, and I am not sure that will happen for him.

• Downvote 1

Tony didn't give good effort under Benford or JJ. I don't think he will give good effort when is on the end of an NBA bench and thrown into garbage time of lopsided games. If he is to give good effort he will need to be in the rotation, and I am not sure that will happen for him.

I believe you to be very wrong.

Time will tell.

Brendan Wright averaged 14.7 pts, 6.2 rebounds, 1.8 blks, and shot 65% from the field as a freshmen for North Carolina in the ACC as a freshman on his way to being the #8 draft pick. What makes you think having similar numbers in the Sun Belt is going to translate to being better in the NBA?

• Upvote 1

Brendan Wright averaged 14.7 pts, 6.2 rebounds, 1.8 blks, and shot 65% from the field as a freshmen for North Carolina in the ACC as a freshman on his way to being the #8 draft pick. What makes you think having similar numbers in the Sun Belt is going to translate to being better in the NBA?

Or you could make a better comparison to this guy:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/players/82033

You know, a guy who played 2 years in a lesser conference, didn't rebound as well as Mitchell, yet scored a little better.

All he did was make the all-star team last year.

And he didn't have to suffer through a terrible 1st year coach his second season.

It amazes me that we finally get a bonafide 1st round NBA draft pick to come out of UNT in any sport, and all some people want to do is piss on him.

Mitchell has had 2 years of college ball, and one of those was with a woefully deficient head coach. Mitchell is all of 21 years old.

Yet, some think he has no room to improve his game.

Watch, wait, and see.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2

Or you could make a better comparison to this guy:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/players/82033

You know, a guy who played 2 years in a lesser conference, didn't rebound as well as Mitchell, yet scored a little better.

All he did was make the all-star team last year.

And he didn't have to suffer through a terrible 1st year coach his second season.

It amazes me that we finally get a bonafide 1st round NBA draft pick to come out of UNT in any sport, and all some people want to do is piss on him.

Mitchell has had 2 years of college ball, and one of those was with a woefully deficient head coach. Mitchell is all of 21 years old.

Yet, some think he has no room to improve his game.

Watch, wait, and see.

He has a ton of room to improve his game, I just don't see a guy who pouts and jogs up the court in college ball, being a major contributor in the NBA. The NBA draft is full of busts every year. There just aren't many guys that contribute significantly on an NBA roster. In fact there are only about 250 players in the entire world that play significantly in the NBA. He is going to have to pick it up a lot to make it in the NBA. I hope he does well, I really do, but I just don't see it, not unless he has a real change in the way he approaches the game.

He has a ton of room to improve his game, I just don't see a guy who pouts and jogs up the court in college ball, being a major contributor in the NBA. The NBA draft is full of busts every year. There just aren't many guys that contribute significantly on an NBA roster. In fact there are only about 250 players in the entire world that play significantly in the NBA. He is going to have to pick it up a lot to make it in the NBA. I hope he does well, I really do, but I just don't see it, not unless he has a real change in the way he approaches the game.

Every player has to "pick it up" when thy enter the NBA. Mitchell is no different.

Funny that I just turned in the Sphrs game and a commentator said that a guy on the Spurs I had never heard if didn't know how to shoot when he ca e into the league, and how much better the Spurs were this year because he learned how to shoot.

Tony has freak athlete measurements. It's his for the taking. Having a real coach and players who he can look up to ability wise will do wonders for him. I think we will look back in : years Nd reAlize how foolish this conversation was.

But, like you said, there are busts all the time. We ahall see.