Spring game quick-hitters

Harry

Here are a couple of headlines/stats from todays spring game:

The Green Team (UNTs starters) won 33-26 over the White Team, which starterd out with a 21-0 lead.

UNT came out of the spring with no clear-cut starter at quarterback. Dan McCarney said the competition would last into the fall and the staff would evaluate the tape of the spring game. Derek Thompson said he felt like he did enough in the spring to start. He went 17-for-29 for 156 yards with an interception and a touchdown. McCarney said backup Andrew McNulty is one of UNTs most improved players . He went 8-for-10 for 106 yards and a touchdown with the starters and 10-for-15 for 108 yards with the backups. Brock Berglund didnt see a whole lot of time and went 8-for-12 for 41 yards.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/04/spring-game-quick-hitters.html/

My quick thoughts:

QBs: DT was his same old, though marginally improved, self - unsatisfactory. McNulty has drastically improved, but still had major skill holes - form and motions, good; passing and ball handling, bad. Bergland, if he makes it into a starting role, will be by far the most fun player to watch at North Texas in a while. He unfortunately today had very little to work with however, and that one jumpy receiver... His scrambles are Manziel-like, and I love that.

I thought the O-line was solid for the most part but surprisingly whiny over certain things. C'mon, Abbe. Oh and the easy sacks today?? Hmm...

Running game: we're still way behind here, despite our talent and growing depth; there were no standouts today.

The receiving core is definitely filling out, but needs serious improvement in awareness and separation from defenders.

-----

Our new faces in the kicking game look to have a lot of potential and Olen is still Olen. There were a couple of wind-assisted bombs within the five-yard line that were fun to watch. I love the way wind works in Apogee.

It may have been just the nature of today's game, but the return crew maybe needs to start showing some real, er, enthusiasm at their position.

-----

Speaking of enthusiasm, I loved the White team's scrappy attitude and vocalism, and was surprised at our starters' rather vacuum of such. Perhaps we need to return some "lock the gate"...

-----

The lack of depth at D-line is quite literally leaving some gaping holes on the field - worrisome.

I didn't really see anything too special from the linebacking core today; Zach Orr, where you at?

I did however love to see the new size we have in the backfield! They were certainly the most pumped for today's game and some of the best plays came from them.

-----

Sir Calvin Harris was robbed :)

-----

Did I just completely miss seeing Canales today? Am I missing something there?

-----

Lots to worry about, but equally lots to look forward to.

Edited by Christopher Walker

Thought all the receivers looked pretty good, only a couple of drops. DT was solid, not spectacular. McNulty has really improved. BB, I thought, tried too hard at times but showed glimpses of his talent. Jordan Gill, nice kid & good athlete but he didn't show much at all in his 1 series. Anyone else notice that Buyers started at corner ahead of Whitfield?

Thoughts on the game game...
As mentioned, the running game did not look good. Don't know if this was an improved D-Line or our running backs just not up to snuff, but it was bad today.
Overall defense played very well.

Quarterbacks...
DT looked a little better than he did last season, but not by much. He looked a little bit quicker on his feet, but the balls he was throwing still had lots of air under them and were not a tight spiral.
BB had the quickest arm and was a very elusive runner. One of the last plays of the game he spun out of a collapsing pocket and there was a definite "oh crap did he really just do that?!" from the crowd. Similar stuff to what you see from Johnny down in Cstat. I would have liked to see what Brock could've done with the first team (his white team that he was on was horrible... tons of penalties that ended drives)
McNutly looked like a good mix between BB and DT. His throws weren't as crisp as BB but weren't as bad as DT. Had a little bit more speed than DT. Overall though, I thought McNutly was good but a little bit raw, with things like bad hand offs to running backs, took the most sacks of all the QBs, and bad ball security (I believe he fumbled two other times in addition to the bad hand off).

As far as the completion percentages go...
Derek Thompson- 17 completions on 29 attempts with the first team for a 58.6% completion percentage.
Andrew McNutly- 8 completions on 10 attempts with the first team and 10 completions on 15 attempts with the second team for a 72% completion percentage.
Brock Berglund- 8 completions on 12 attempts with the third team for a 66.7% completion percentage.

Again, I think it would have been really nice to see what Brock could've done with the first team, considering McCarney said there was no clear starter....

Edited by Snowy

My quick thoughts:

QBs: DT was his same old, though marginally improved, self - unsatisfactory. McNulty has drastically improved, but still had major skill holes - form and motions, good; passing and ball handling, bad. Bergland, if he makes it into a starting role, will be by far the most fun player to watch at North Texas in a while. He unfortunately today had very little to work with however, and that one jumpy receiver... His scrambles are Manziel-like, and I love that.

I thought the O-line was solid for the most part but surprisingly whiny over certain things. C'mon, Abbe. Oh and the easy sacks today?? Hmm...

Running game: we're still way behind here, despite our talent and growing depth; there were no standouts today.

The receiving core is definitely filling out, but needs serious improvement in awareness and separation from defenders.

-----

Our new faces in the kicking game look to have a lot of potential and Olen is still Olen. There were a couple of wind-assisted bombs within the five-yard line that were fun to watch. I love the way wind works in Apogee.

It may have been just the nature of today's game, but the return crew maybe needs to start showing some real, er, enthusiasm at their position.

-----

Speaking of enthusiasm, I loved the White team's scrappy attitude and vocalism, and was surprised at our starters' rather vacuum of such. Perhaps we need to return some "lock the gate"...

-----

The lack of depth at D-line is quite literally leaving some gaping holes on the field - worrisome.

I didn't really see anything too special from the linebacking core today; Zach Orr, where you at?

I did however love to see the new size we have in the backfield! They were certainly the most pumped for today's game and some of the best plays came from them.

-----

Sir Calvin Harris was robbed :)

-----

Did I just completely miss seeing Canales today? Am I missing something there?

-----

Lots to worry about, but equally lots to look forward to.

Canales will be in press box next season. Was probably there today.

If you found a tribal bushman from New Guinea and he had never seen a football game, sat him down and let him watch all four of the QB's play today and then asked him: Which one is best? Even he could tell you: Brock Berglund.

I'm not bagging on DT, AM or Gill but everything about Brock's kinesis is superior. The ball comes out of his hand quickly, on target and with great touch. And his scrambling was fun to watch. Once he starts playing with the 1's his ability to shake and bake and freeze defenders coming to do him great harm is going to allow recievers to do some freelancing that will make highlight reels. There is, very genuinely, an "IT" factor with Brock. That can't be coached. You either got it or you don't. My eyes say he does.

DT at times, looked much improved, but, a play or two later and you'd say: "Oh, yeah, there's that guy from last year." His under throwing of a deep ball to an open receiver for an INT hurt to watch. (Wind at his back mind you.) But his deep ball into the wind for a TD was very nice. Jekyll & Hyde that guy.

AM, from what I saw today, is certainly more than Scott Hall drive the Buick QB. He had a good day and possess really nice touch with the ball although his spirals aren't always pretty. If there were no BB in the discussion I'd wager AM could take the job from DT this season. Maybe not at season start but before it finished. Id say he is further along at his development than DT was at the same point in his career.

Gill - One series. It wasn't good.

Should have, but you don't get to when you are third string

I thought McNulty and Berglund did about as good as anyone could have with the second team O. If McNulty had not gone in and QB'd the first team at the end of the game, the White team probably would have hung on a won. I just wish we could have seen what Berglund could do with the starters.

Plus, they didn't bring Berglund in to play for the third team. Everyone at the game today could see he had more ability then the other QBs. Could he excel on the first team and separate himself from the other QBs? I don't know. Today he didn't get the chance. McNulty got a chance, and I think he made the most of it.

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 1

Should have, but you don't get to when you are third string

Actually, he should have. The Green team was 1st and 3rd team players vs. the 2nd and 4th units White team. Berglund was on the Green side the first half (in a green jersey). The second half he switched to a white jersey and finally played with the 2nd and 4th units.

Oh, I do too, but the hamstring injury left him behind DT and AM. I think he was in Canales hip pocket for a reason today, to learn the offense.

To be honest, I went to a few practices this Spring and Berglund was still learning the offense and working on reading the defenses. It looked like he had a better handle on it today. He should only get better by next season.

Actually, he should have. The Green team was 1st and 3rd team players vs. the 2nd and 4th units White team. Berglund was on the Green side the first half (in a green jersey). The second half he switched to a white jersey and finally played with the 2nd and 4th units.

I agree, but if you are third on the depth chart you don't typically get to run with the first team.

Talking to him is one thing. Following him around like a puppy dog is something else.

What? Really? Do you watch football games? What's the first thing a QB does when he gets to the sidelines? He gets with the OC. Who should he be talking to? Sklandy? Mac? Diet Coke Boy? The QB should be the OC's shadow. That's a good thing that the QB is getting with his coach to know what to improve, look for, audible to, patterns, etc

• Upvote 2

What? Really? Do you watch football games? What's the first thing a QB does when he gets to the sidelines? He gets with the OC. Who should he be talking to? Sklandy? Mac? Diet Coke Boy? The QB should be the OC's shadow. That's a good thing that the QB is getting with his coach to know what to improve, look for, audible to, patterns, etc

Yes I played the position and there is a difference.

From a pure fan point of view that doesn't watch the position battles as closely as most, today was greatness! The day was perfect! It was a perfect running day for the 5k. This was my first spring game to attend after living out of town for a decade, and it just really felt nice to "start" the season in April. The garage sale and game were icing. Nice to see the students out and our D looks like it is going to be strong this year. I echo the QB play. I was impressed with AM and BB. DT looks faster and better from the competition. All in all a great day in Denton.

For our tailgate crew a new tradition is born.

GMG

• Upvote 6

Let's be honest, Berglund is the highly touted minor league prospect and yesterday was his Sept call up.

Without the benefit of seeing him day in, day out, fans are inclined to dramatically overrate good qualities as sure-fire potential and dismiss poor qualities citing an understandable learning curve.

If nothing else, hopefully he drives competition.

• Upvote 1

Let's be honest, Berglund is the highly touted minor league prospect and yesterday was his Sept call up.

Without the benefit of seeing him day in, day out, fans are inclined to dramatically overrate good qualities as sure-fire potential and dismiss poor qualities citing an understandable learning curve.

If nothing else, hopefully he drives competition.

If you are going to use a baseball analogy would you be just as quick to say DT is the aged reliever that tends to blow saves?

• Upvote 1