Texas St to Hire SFA's Kaspar

KoldBeer

This is exactly what I wanted us to do last year--hire a winning head coach, even if it was from a lower Division 1 team. You get a Scott Cross, Danny Kaspar, Steve Shields, or Bob Marlin here and you let them coach with the resources and talent that we have here. It doesn't always work, but I think it gives a school that was in the situation we found ourselves in after JJ left to continue forward with the progression that had been made.

Hiring people with no head coaching experience to take over a program that is on the cusp of moving upward is just a crapshoot. Unfortunately, we are stuck. No money to buyout 4 more years of this. Just gotta hope that he doesn't take us all the way down the drain, the way Trilli did. But I'm not holding my breath.

Texas State made a nice hire here. I bet he will be somewhere else very soon. I actually think he will coach at A&M if Billy Kennedy continues to flounder in College Station. But, for Texas State, that is a great move.

This is exactly what I wanted us to do last year--hire a winning head coach, even if it was from a lower Division 1 team. You get a Scott Cross, Danny Kaspar, Steve Shields, or Bob Marlin here and you let them coach with the resources and talent that we have here. It doesn't always work, but I think it gives a school that was in the situation we found ourselves in after JJ left to continue forward with the progression that had been made.

Hiring people with no head coaching experience to take over a program that is on the cusp of moving upward is just a crapshoot. Unfortunately, we are stuck. No money to buyout 4 more years of this. Just gotta hope that he doesn't take us all the way down the drain, the way Trilli did. But I'm not holding my breath.

Texas State made a nice hire here. I bet he will be somewhere else very soon. I actually think he will coach at A&M if Billy Kennedy continues to flounder in College Station. But, for Texas State, that is a great move.

So are you saying that Kaspar wanted the job, but wasn't given an interview?

with him being an alum and in the position JJ left the program in I would hope he was applying for the job, but was ignored. Who wouldn't apply for it. JJ did leave the program in good shape, regardless of my opinion of him (which is growing after Benford debacle).

Apparently, he wanted to interview but never got the chance. I, mean, really, how could he beat out Tony Benford? Who cared that if Benford did any good this year, he would be getting ready to go home to Lubbock and wear red & black at his alma mater? We really couldn't interview a UNT alum that has actually been a head coach at a university in Texas when you have the chance at a guy who has never been a head coach anywhere to coach your most talented team ever but also graduated from a school in the state that would gladly hire him away if was worth a damn. That's foresight!!

• Upvote 1

Great hire...

Athough their fans are in for a shock if he coaches the SFA/Princeton system. They could go from the fast-break, no defense style of the current team to potentially 55-point offensive nights but a lot more Ws. I know UTA always had trouble speeding up the games against SFA, Denver, Samford who play that style.

He's always had good, strong athletes who really put their team first, ego second and win a ton of games. A class act and a nice addition to our league. And I'd think San Marcos (with Austin and San Antonio nearby) would be easy to recruit to.

I think one of the 10 commandments at most normal operating NCAA athletic departments (which North Texas is not and has not been for quite awhile now as one looks at all the varsity W/L records) is to simply do this..................interview a graduate from the school he/she attended and who is now applying for a similar position (as in head basketball coach) at his/her alma mater whether you intend to hire that person or not. So..........where the hell is someone with some major cajones like a university administrator version of Donald "YOUR FIRED!" Trump when it's all but been put in sky-writing that changes need to or even should have already taken place? :(

Silver, found this unbelievable piece of info on the subject on the other board................and so sadly..............it's just almost unbelievable what this regime gets away with in Denton leading I'm sure even more to wonder if they have anyone higher up that ever critiques their job performances and hirings (using wins versus losses a the usual and normal barometer).

From the other board:

UNT alum Danny Kaspar now has SFA at 20-2.......11-1 in SLC play. They drew almost 4400 at home the other night. Anyway, Danny and the Lumberjacks play Long Beach State in a Bracket Buster game on ESPNU on Friday Feb. 22. Finally, five name coaches called on his behalf when he wanted to get an interview here---UT's Rick Barnes, the Spurs Greg Popovich, Butler head coach Brad Stevens, former OU/Indiana coach Kelvin Sampson, and former A & M and now Maryland coach Mark Turgeon. Danny never received a call to interview here. (kudos to mngrn04 for some of the info in this post).

GMG!

PS: So come on all you red totin' regressives out there...show me some Big Red while you still amazingly continue to genuflect to those who are leading UNT to an NCAA version of a burnin' straight down to the ground Rome and..................a program that would have not even performed well at the NCAA FCS level most of the last 10 or so years.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I really wish we could have seen what Danny Kaspar could have done with last year's team.

What did we know going into last year? That we had a VERY athletic team that really couldn't shoot. Many of us thought that 1 year of college seasoning would cure the shooting woes. We were wrong (and yes, the coaching hire didn't help the situation).

Instead of a coach that promised defense without delivering, wouldn't it have been nice to have a coach who actually knew how to coach athletes to play defense? And generate offense from said defense?

I know, I know, Mitchell would have gone NBA and CJ and JW would have transferred if we made this hire (no, I don't believe this for a second), but I bet you we would have had one of the best defensive teams of all time at UNT, not to mention at least 19 wins.

I have a lot of respect for TTech for going with Tubby over the demands of the 5 star recruit. Just a random thought .

Edited by UNT90

I really wish we could have seen what Danny Kaspar could have done with last year's team.

What did we know going into last year? That we had a VERY athletic team that really couldn't shoot. Many of us thought that 1 year of college seasoning would cure the shooting woes. We were wrong (and yes, the coaching hire didn't help the situation).

Instead of a coach that promised defense without delivering, wouldn't it have been nice to have a coach who actually knew how to coach athletes to play defense? And generate offense from said defense?

I know, I know, Mitchell would have gone NBA and CJ and JW would have transferred if we made this hire (no, I don't believe this for a second), but I bet you we would have had I e if the best defensive teams of all time at UNT, not to mention at least 19 wins.

I have a lot of respect for TTech for going with Tubby over the demands of the 5 star recruit. Just a random thought .

Considering Tony's & Jordan's previous relationship with Benford were soothing factors after they found out coach Leonard was not the guy (and both were pissed about that) I'm betting we would have lost both of them if it were Kaspar. And if we lost both of them, CJ surely would have followed.

Hindsight being 20/20, if Kaspar could have come in here and won without those 3 (which looking at the disappointment of this past season, he may have been able to get more out of the remainder of the team than what Benford did this year with everyone) maybe he would have been the better coach to hire. But RV and everyone else didn't see this season coming with the Benford hire. No one did.

At the very least, we needed a bus driver for this team. Instead, we got what appeared to be a drunk driver.

• Upvote 2

I know, I know, Mitchell would have gone NBA and CJ and JW would have transferred if we made this hire (no, I don't believe this for a second), but I bet you we would have had one of the best defensive teams of all time at UNT, not to mention at least 19 wins.

DK is a strict disciplinarian, and not patient about team rules. So just HYPOTHTICALLy, what if Tmitch had been suspended for a game, not just a couple of minutes like against a Lehigh, would you have supported it?

• Upvote 2

Is it true that Kaspar runs the Princton offense?

It seems like Kaspar has a lot of supporters around here. I would have to believe that recruiting to a program that runs the Princeton offense may be even tougher than one that runs the Benford offense.

Kaspar's bread and butter is defense. His SFA te had a streak of around 68 games in a row where no team scored over 70.

When you keep your opponents from scoring, you have a chance to win the game, no matter how bad your team shoots.

Players like to win, whatever the system. Look for Tx St. to out-recruit UNT next year if Benford is given a 3rd season (which he will, because if there is one thing UNT athletics does, it's waiting too long to fire bad coaches).

• Upvote 2