UNT parts ways with backup

Brett Vito

I figured this might happen. Anyone who thinks this is Clarke's decision needs only to look at his attendance as a fan at just about every game his senior HS season.

I was really hoping he would be a good fit for the program, for his sake and ours .

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Really unhappy to see this news! Clarke is a great young man with an outstanding family and support system who very much supported the program. Clarke will be an asset to whichever team he ends up playing for and I hope he already has one nailed down. It will be a team I will follow and hopefully get to see play in person.

I had heard this rumor recently, and from what I can understand this is pretty much Clarke's decision. Whatever the case, I thank Clarke for the year he spent as part of the Mean green Nation, and wish him nothing but the best of success going forward. This young man has a great career in front of him both ON and OFF the court.

For one, I will very much miss Clarke, the Overlander family and the "gaggle" of friends and family that always showed up for each game to support the Mean Green.

Thank you Clarke...thank you to all the Overlander's. You will be missed...on and off the court. All the best with your career and know that this is one member of the Mean green nation that will be following your career and looking forward to seeing you play!

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Assuming this really was his decision... Can't say I blame him.

The writing was on the wall the second he started following FakeBenford on twitter.

Benny has already changed my feelings towards those who choose to leave our athletic programs.

Best of luck Clarke!

• Upvote 2

This really sucks. Clarke was such a huge fan and supporter before he even got here.

Yup. No matter how or why this is happening, it sucks.

I've been pretty critical on how our new coach has handled personnel and staff issues, but I'm trying not jumping to any conclusions here. Although, as someone pointed out... Overlander was just tweeting a few days ago about being excited to practice in the new facility.

If Overlander decided to leave on his own, it's unfortunate and I'm sorry to see him go. He was obviously struggling this year, but I don't think he somehow magically forgot how to shoot a basketball once he threw his cap in the air on high school graduation day. But he did look incredibly uncomfortable much of the time, and the program he signed with is not the one he showed up to play for. So, I wouldn't blame him, but it sucks to see such a quick exit for a guy who was so obviously excited to come play for us.

If we're pushing him out, then that's even more unfortunate. As rough a year as he had... There are 13 scholarship players, and an exceptionally deep team might give notable minutes to 9 or 10, at most. Those other 3 chairs on the bench can go to a transfer (like Taylor)... But when they don't, there are worse options than having a guard with reasonable height and the potential to be an outside shooting threat, who also makes good grades (wasn't there hypothetical talk of him having the grades for an academic ride?). Or a 6'10" guy like Knox who also makes honor roll. Anyway... I'd hoped Overlander could develop into a Taggart Lockhart type guy for us... But it's tough for anyone to develop into anything when we keep losing guys after a year.

I'll be interested to see if Overlander goes elsewhere to play basketball or if he does what Knox did and decides to just focus on school.

This happens a lotof places. Scholarships are not guaranteed. Every year the coaches bring you into the office and let you know if you will be back the next year. This happens in basketball and football every year at every school. If you did not cut it or they think they need someone better or someone with different abilities they will let you know. This does suck though because I know Clarke loved UNT and I wonder where he will go/what he will do. I am sure that this was passed down through the coaches. I wish him the best and alsohope that this move and ones that follow can somehow make us better.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 9

This happens a lotof places. Scholarships are not guaranteed. Every year the coaches bring you into the office and let you know if you will be back the next year. This happens in basketball and football every year at every school. If you did not cut it or they think they need someone better or someone with different abilities they will let you know. This does suck though because I know Clarke loved UNT and I wonder where he will go/what he will do. I am sure that this was passed down through the coaches. I wish him the best and alsohope that this move and ones that follow can somehow make us better.

Lots of times, coaches are brought in and told they won't be back next year at alot of places except UNT, that is. We accept failure.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Sorry to see this. Clark may have decided to leave, but there were lots of hints that that should have been his decision. I know there were some on this board that questioned whether he was a Div 1 player, and by the way I respect your opinion. That said, since Clark was on the team, I think we can agree he did not get a fair chance, and really a few players on this team as well. Hell, this season was over before the half way mark, so he should have been given more opportunities. In the practices I watched, he hit everything. It is not fair to give a player 2 minutes or 1st mistake your out because most players cannot get their timing, etc that quick, especially the majority of freshmen. Basically, Benford kept Clark. as insurance in case Taylor could not make it academically. It makes me mad that Benford wasnt honest with Clark when he was hired.

• Upvote 5