Meanwhile in Baton Rouge

emmitt01

Our perpetually "underachieving" ex head coach is up 19 on Miss St and cruising toward 15-8. With "somebody else's players" and BEFORE his top ten recruiting class comes in.Remind me again Andrew, how many top flight recruits are lining up to live our "next year" dream?

Dude, stop. Everyone wanted jj to stay, but there's nothing anyone could have done to keep him here. This is the nt basketball forum, not the sec update forum. You and Andrew can exchange emails and then you can continue this personally.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

Dude, stop. Everyone wanted jj to stay, but there's nothing anyone could have done to keep him here. This is the nt basketball forum, not the sec update forum. You and Andrew can exchange emails and then you can continue this personally.

I mean to be be fair, you don't think we'd be getting Iowa updates from someone if GMG had existed when Hayden Fry left?

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 1

If only......

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 8

LSU did what mostr universities do when they hire a coach--they looked around the nation and found someone eager to move up to coach at that level, after being a successful head coach somewhere else. Does it always work out--no. Kentucky hired Billy Gilllespie and they fell apart. But I'd take that chance versus hiring an assistanat with no previous head coaching experience. Instead, we basically trsuted our best team in decades to be coached by someone who was known to be a great recruiter. Vic Trilli's tenure here apparently was not remembered by those in charge. And, now, we pay for it--for at least two more years. The good news for Benford and RV? Literally, a .500 record would get some of us interested in seeing if he has anything in the year following. Hell, knowing North Texas, we will probably give him an extension for a near .500 record at this point. But all of that kind of talk seems like a pipedream at this point.

LSU did what mostr universities do when they hire a coach--they looked around the nation and found someone eager to move up to coach at that level, after being a successful head coach somewhere else. Does it always work out--no. Kentucky hired Billy Gilllespie and they fell apart. But I'd take that chance versus hiring an assistanat with no previous head coaching experience. Instead, we basically trsuted our best team in decades to be coached by someone who was known to be a great recruiter. Vic Trilli's tenure here apparently was not remembered by those in charge. And, now, we pay for it--for at least two more years. The good news for Benford and RV? Literally, a .500 record would get some of us interested in seeing if he has anything in the year following. Hell, knowing North Texas, we will probably give him an extension for a near .500 record at this point. But all of that kind of talk seems like a pipedream at this point.

Again, after being told we would no longer go the inexperienced assistant route in hiring coaches.

Good points. I have wondered for a while why we don't go below our tier in college athletic and hire somebody that wants to move up. For example a Scott Cross or Danny K. And for football, a coach from Sam Houston or the guy at West Texas. Instead we bring in coaches with no reall ties as for as recruiting and the lack of resources when compared to their past jobs. Mac did have the Big 12 at Iowas St and Iowa fell on some hard times following Hayden' retirement which really helped. Taking everything into consideration, Mac has us headed in the right direction. Petersen and Aston both had ties for recruiting and both have done pretty good post Shanice. . And no, TX ties did not help Dodge, but coaching in TX high school football and recruiting it are 2 different things. But lets say you brought in a successful Div 1 FCS coach instead of Dodge, it would be interesting to know how it would have worked out.

Edited by Green Dozer

And, meanwhile down in Austin, Texas......

Really sorry to see some UT folks calling for Aston's head after a 2 win conference record to date and some pretty bad losses. Just shows what can happen to good coaches in new situations...seems UT did exactly what Dozer is suggesting...a proven winner at a lower level...yet, this season is not turning out so great...as yet! If the folks in Austin will give her some time, they will be happy they did.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

And, meanwhile down in Austin, Texas......

Really sorry to see some UT folks calling for Aston's head after a 2 win conference record to date and some pretty bad losses. Just shows what can happen to good coaches in new situations...seems UT did exactly what Dozer is suggesting...a proven winner at a lower level...yet, this season is not turning out so great...as yet! If the folks in Austin will give her some time, they will be happy they did.

UT fired their last coach because they weren't winning (enough). I agree that they will be happy they gave Aston some time, but (mean)green apples to (burnt)oranges.
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

UT fired their last coach because they weren't winning (enough). I agree that they will be happy they gave Aston some time, but (mean)green apples to (burnt)oranges.

It it fits your agenda to say so...fine with me. Lots of parallels and I have a nephew who is a big time UT booster...the info I have comes from his "inside sources". I have tried hard to tell him to pass the word to back off and let Aston have a couple of years before they go bonkers. I am convinced that she will do great in Austin...given time...but so far quite a few of the burnt orange faithful that actually follow women's BB are more than a little unhappy with to date results. And, so far, the AD and staff are backing Aston as are several other boosters who are close to the situation. Like I said...quite a few parallels, but it';s OK if you don't want to see them.

But, since we were talking about other programs thought I'd mention how things are going in Austin with another of our ex-head coaches who took their "dream job". It is a thread dedicated to trying to make folks see how well our other coaches are doing as opposed to our current one, right?

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

It it fits your agenda to say so...fine with me. Lots of parallels and I have a nephew who is a big time UT booster...the info I have comes from his "inside sources". I have tried hard to tell him to pass the word to back off and let Aston have a couple of years before they go bonkers. I am convinced that she will do great in Austin...given time...but so far quite a few of the burnt orange faithful that actually follow women's BB are more than a little unhappy with to date results. And, so far, the AD and staff are backing Aston as are several other boosters who are close to the situation. Like I said...quite a few parallels, but it';s OK if you don't want to see them.

But, since we were talking about other programs thought I'd mention how things are going in Austin with another of our ex-head coaches who took their "dream job". It is a thread dedicated to trying to make folks see how well our other coaches are doing as opposed to our current one, right?

Good points Kram, some folks are making a failing effort to emulate those they idolize.. It does not help Karen's situation that the No. 1 team in the land plays just up the road from Austin, but this is Griner's last year. It is never easy in Austin when Baylor is winning in any sport while TX struggles. And FWIW, UT did not fire the last coach nor was she going to be fired at the end of the season last year. Sure, she was going to have to win this season or else. Karen has lost 3 players for the season to injury, including her best player, and is playing a lot of freshmen. One thing to remember its not just Karen we are pulling for, but one of our former players in UNT Hall of Fame member Jaylee Mitchell as well.

• Upvote 3

The UT women weren't a consensus pick to win the Big 12.

Their athletic department didn't advertise the team as "the most talented in UT history."

Apples and frieght trains

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Wrong...UT did not fire the coach prior to Aston. But, thanks for playing! Ha! :-)

• Upvote 2

The UT women weren't a consensus pick to win the Big 12.

Their athletic department didn't advertise the team as "the most talented in UT history."

Apples and frieght trains

You are beginning to get in your own way...being hyped as the best and actually being so are two different things. Do you always buy into the hype? In all fairness here....most of us did, but not everyone blames the hype.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

You are beginning to get in your own way...being hyped as the best and actually being so are two different things. Do you always buy into the hype? In all fairness here....most of us did, but not everyone blames the hype.

Forget about preseason polls. The same group of guys were Sun Belt finalists last year. I'm not going to do the digging on roster turnover because I think you're determined right or wrong to stand by your opinion, but Aston's team was 3rd-to-last in the Big XII last year. They lost to TTech in the first round of the B12 tourney.

I respect your ability to stay positive (to the point of stubbornness) on all things Mean Green, but you are going to be hard pressed to find a better example of first-to-worst journey than this season with Benford. We still have some postseason to play, but I don't think Benford turns this ship around in time. Here's hoping I'm wrong.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Apparantly yhe UNT Athletic Department did. So they either can't evaliate talent or...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1