Meanwhile in Baton Rouge

emmitt01

Except Alabama actually played a competitive game. LSU was blown out from the start.

I see, so according to you, Duke sucks they are completely overrated. Coach K is a horrific coach and should be fired after getting blown out by 27 against Miami and losing to Maryland yesterday, a team who wont even make it to the tourney.

Am I correct?

I see, so according to you, Duke sucks they are completely overrated. Coach K is a horrific coach and should be fired after getting blown out by 27 against Miami and losing to Maryland yesterday, a team who wont even make it to the tourney.

Am I correct?

They tried to fire coach K for his first what 3 years? Now look at him. Of course we should fire Benford now. Just like Duke should have fired coach K....

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

They tried to fire coach K for his first what 3 years? Now look at him. Of course we should fire Benford now. Just like Duke should have fired coach K....

To be fair his first year at Duke was solid, if unspectacular (he inherited a solid senior class). It wasn't until his 2nd and third seasons (when he started playing the younger kids he recuited) that fans started questioning him because he was getting blown out. Some of those youngsters grew into his 1986 Final Four team that got the ball rolling.

Edited by CMJ

To be fair his first year at Duke was solid, if unspectacular (he inherited a solid senior class). It wasn't until his 2nd and third seasons (when he started playing the younger kids he recuited) that fans started questioning him because he was getting blown out. Some of those younsters grew into his 1986 Final Four team that got the ball rolling.

I understand this but in all fairness I think Benford should have another year and there should not be a lot of bickering about it. He has been here one year. In one year he could not build a mountain and he could certainly not destroy it. He could have had a major year this year and then the next three seasons average about 13 wins a year. That is nothing spectacular. Next season lets see if we can pull together 16 to 18 wins and make a push in the CUSA tourney. If things go further south then we can talk. It has taken coaches a lot more then 3 years to build/destroy a program so be patient. Johhny did not all of the sudden make LSU great. he just had a decent year that ended with a nice run in conference play. I believe we can do the same next season.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

I understand this but in all fairness I think Benford should have another year and there should not be a lot of bickering about it. He has been here one year. In one year he could not build a mountain and he could certainly not destroy it. He could have had a major year this year and then the next three seasons average about 13 wins a year. That is nothing spectacular. Next season lets see if we can pull together 16 to 18 wins and make a push in the CUSA tourney. If things go further south then we can talk. It has taken coaches a lot more then 3 years to build/destroy a program so be patient. Johhny did not all of the sudden make LSU great. he just had a decent year that ended with a nice run in conference play. I believe we can do the same next season.

I can understand that he should get another year, but lets not forget what he told us day 1. We are going to play Defense, get easy buckets, take high % shots, transition basketball. Now did Benford succeed at anything he said? Then blaming injuries is just pathetic, theyre apart of the game and thats not an excuse

• Upvote 1

Some of you are forgetting, that he was HANDED a team expected to at least be competitive to make the NCAA Tournament. Johnny built this thing over 11 years. This athletic program and fanbase is not stable and die hard enough to withstand another season of cow turds.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The argument of "Coach X sucked early in his career at school Y before he turned it around!!" is just about as stupid as people arguing that recruiting rankings don't matter because Player X had no stars but turned out awesome.

For every example of Coach X turning the thing around there are 50 coach Y's that just end up failed. I'm guessing Coach K showed something in his early years at Duke that warranted not being dismissed. Other than it being his first season on the job name one thing you can hang your hat on that Benford did this year to merrit optimism for improvement.

The argument of "Coach X sucked early in his career at school Y before he turned it around!!" is just about as stupid as people arguing that recruiting rankings don't matter because Player X had no stars but turned out awesome.

For every example of Coach X turning the thing around there are 50 coach Y's that just end up failed. I'm guessing Coach K showed something in his early years at Duke that warranted not being dismissed. Other than it being his first season on the job name one thing you can hang your hat on that Benford did this year to merrit optimism for improvement.

He was nice to Andrew while at the next urinal? Edited by Army of Dad
  • Downvote 1

This comparison is (without caring enough to research your past tripe) the dumbest thing you've ever posted. Yes, that's possible.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

This comparison is (without caring enough to research your past tripe) the dumbest thing you've ever posted. Yes, that's possible.

You are basing this statement off of coach k's success. That in itself is "dumb". I said his first 3 years. This was before he was successful. We have given Benford one year. We have no clue if he is the next coach K or the biggest bust on coaching history. I cannot even take you seriously when you cannot comprehend what I meant. Please explain to me how this is dumb?

You mean dumb like comparing our season to an elementary school shooting? Or do you mean dumb like thinking is is just fine that Mitchell made zero attempt to rebound the ball in the biggest game of his career? Or do you mean dumb like making inappropriate jokes or making memes that even an 18 year old would not find humorous. Or dumb like thinking it is ok to break team rules which go above and beyond missing a practice? Dumb... yep... coming from people who know nothing about the game I take that as a compliment I suppose.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

a little surprised LSU didn't land an NIT bid. I was for sure the SEC was gonna be a 4-bid league, possibly 5 if Arkansas was included too

I originally thought they'd get in after they made the SEC quarters, but once all the potential at larges from the league weren't getting into the NCAA Tourney I figured LSU was sunk. The NIT wasn't gonna invite tons of schools from any one league - they never do.

• Upvote 1

I don't think he failed, but he peeked and never could seem to get any higher. Hopefully Bnford can take it to the enact level, but time will tell.

What are you basing this assessment on? The fact that he took us to two of the three NCAA tournament appearances in UNT's history?

I realize the dude is gone. Best of luck to him at LSU. The diminishing of his team's accomplishments on here these days is ridiculous. All it does is diminish UNT. I hope Benford gets the ship righted next year, but let's not trash some of the best bball in UNT's history in the process. Deal?

• Upvote 2

I was not attempting to bash JJ. I just do not think there was much more he could do here... I am sure he can take LSU far, especially after his new recruits come in.

The fact that you think Benford can take this program to places that JJ could not is quite funny.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

The fact that you think Benford can take this program to places that JJ could not is quite funny.

Hey, it looks like LSU is at least smart enough to not pay to go to a so-called post-season tournament. I guess UTA cares more than LSU and JJ too, right 90? :judge:

Personally, I think LSU deserved an NIT bid.

Edited by KRAM1
  • Downvote 1

Hey, it looks like LSU is at least smart enough to not pay to go to a so-called post-season tournament. I guess UTA cares more than LSU and JJ too, right 90? :judge:

Personally, I think LSU deserved an NIT bid.

I don't think many LSU Tiger club members (or whatever the hell they call it) question the LSU administration's commitment to winning.

JJ had the option. The CIT probably wouldn't even accept our money. That's how bad we have fallen.

Why people continue to try and put down the one guy that has provided any amount of athletic success at UNT in the last 11 years is beyond me.

The lengths some will go to justify this mess.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

So JJ failed according to some people on here. Never mind that he came closer to making the tournament in a much harder league. It will all come together for Benford next year, in a tougher conference, likely without our NBA prospect.

So JJ failed according to some people on here. Never mind that he came closer to making the tournament in a much harder league. It will all come together for Benford next year, in a tougher conference, likely without our NBA prospect.

Who said JJ failed? I have not seen that. What I have seen are folks talking about JJ doing a decent job and also pointing out how some on here who were not unhappy to see him go now seem to think he walks on water. Hardly anyone calling him a failure.

I don't think many LSU Tiger club members (or whatever the hell they call it) question the LSU administration's commitment to winning.

JJ had the option. The CIT probably wouldn't even accept our money. That's how bad we have fallen.

Why people continue to try and put down the one guy that has provided any amount of athletic success at UNT in the last 11 years is beyond me.

The lengths some will go to justify this mess.

Please point out one post where I in any way put JJ down. You continue with this line of thought even though you have no post that supports this position. My post about the buy in tournaments was aimed at you inane post about UNT failing because UTA wasted a bunch of money to dupe folks into thinking they made a post season tourney and the fact that JJ and LSU after being jilted by the NIT did not fall into the crap decision UTA made. It actually pointed to LSU and JJ's smarts as opposed to say your position regarding UNT. But, keep playing that broken record you have going if it makes you feel better.

I actually typed that knowing that I, as much as I can think of, agree with UNT90s expectations for this program.

I just want him to consider that he's posting on the opposite end of KRAMs sentiments, while being equally relevant (or irrelevant) in a debate.

Thanks for the psycho-babble. At least it's new.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1