McCarney on Gaines and more...

Harry

Wow. That was a wild day.

I talked to Tony Benford about the exchange he had with Arkansas
State coach John Brady, talked to Dan McCarney about Justin Gaines,
wrote a story about Jacob Holmen and Justin Patton hanging it up in
their senior seasons with the UNT men’s basketball team, talked to
Jermaine Antoine and Kahlee Woods about their decisions to not sign with
UNT and tried to get ready for signing day.

As far as the blog goes, let’s split this in half and talk football
tonight and basketball in the morning — mostly because I wrote a story
on “Benford-Brady Gate” for tomorrow’s paper that gives Benford’s side
of the story that people will see late tonight/early tomorrow.

Dan McCarney returned my call late this afternoon and said that
Gaines resigned to pursue other opportunities and said he wished his
former cornerbacks coach well.

read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/02/monday-night-football-notes.html/

A good place to start looking for assistant coach replacements at UNT would be from schools among the Go5 who annually win the "3 stars wars" versus our dear alma mater. I really don't even want to say who those schools are today as I look at my NTSU degree hanging on my home office wall and shake my head.

What are ULL, La Tech and ULM doing to get such good "speedy" athletes besides working their butts off in the recruiting wars? North Texas should be able to pay more for its assistants than at least 2 of those 3 Louisiana schools so why the delay? We have more time to break our 8 season losing streak did I hear somone say? I hope I didn't hear that (again).

It's like most our Texas HS football coaches used to tell us all: "You play on Friday nights how you practice Monday thru Thursday." So is our quality of play in 2015 and 2016 based on who we will sign tomorrow? I know there are other variables,ie, transfers, normal atrition, etc, but losing is one variable that says recruiting is usually not going well and should be addressed immediately--even at North Texas which sometimes moves at a snail's pace to make over-due yet crucial decisions which affect our immediate future and ultimate chance to be successful again.

We all love our school, right? So is wanting more for our school's athletic program (specifically football) such a bad thing?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I had always been under the impression that there was a pecking order in conferences relative to drawing talent. Since we moved up the food change by moving to C-USA, I was assuming that we would move up in recruiting, too. Oh well, time will tell.

• Upvote 1

I had always been under the impression that there was a pecking order in conferences relative to drawing talent. Since we moved up the food change by moving to C-USA, I was assuming that we would move up in recruiting, too. Oh well, time will tell.

It appears we are losing to Big XII schools TCU and Tech. I am not going to fault a player turning down NT to go to a school that will help him with his eventual graduate program. I hate to lose a kid who appears to have his priorities in the correct order. The other kid seems to have been lost when we lost that coach more than from a problem with our program.

While this year might not show it, I do think CUSA will help our recruiting in the long run.

• Upvote 1

A good place to start looking for assistant coach replacements at UNT would be from schools among the Go5 who annually win the "3 stars wars" versus our dear alma mater. I really don't even want to say who those schools are today as I look at my NTSU degree hanging on my home office wall and shake my head.

What are ULL, La Tech and ULM doing to get such good "speedy" athletes besides working their butts off in the recruiting wars? North Texas should be able to pay more for its assistants than at least 2 of those 3 Louisiana schools so why the delay? We have more time to break our 8 season losing streak did I hear somone say? I hope I didn't hear that (again).

It's like most our Texas HS football coaches used to tell us all: "You play on Friday nights how you practice Monday thru Thursday." So is our quality of play in 2015 and 2016 based on who we will sign tomorrow? I know there are other variables,ie, transfers, normal atrition, etc, but losing is one variable that says recruiting is usually not going well and should be addressed immediately--even at North Texas which sometimes moves at a snail's pace to make over-due yet crucial decisions which affect our immediate future and ultimate chance to be successful again.

We all love our school, right? So is wanting more for our school's athletic program (specifically football) such a bad thing?

GMG!

I don't know these things, but I am trying to find excuses to how any Louisiana school would be able to get better recruits than us, so my question actually involves academics. Is it harder to gain acceptance to UNT than it is for La Tech, ULL, ULM, or even UTSA, Texas State, or Arkansas State? I honestly don't know.

• Upvote 1

I don't know these things, but I am trying to find excuses to how any Louisiana school would be able to get better recruits than us, so my question actually involves academics. Is it harder to gain acceptance to UNT than it is for La Tech, ULL, ULM, or even UTSA, Texas State, or Arkansas State? I honestly don't know.

I think the answer is yes -- however I cannot prove that nor have done any research. I know there is a test in the State of Texas you have to pass to get into college and I don't know if that is required in LA. I know part of La. Tech's allure is their trimester program. Perhaps a dawg fan or someone from ULL can elaborate on this.

I can't answer to the specific requirements of each school but here are the 50 percentile SAT scores:

North Texas 1105

Texas State 1060

Arkansas State 1030

UTSA 1030

La Tech 1020

ULM 960

Louisiana 22.0*

*Louisiana uses ACT scores

This is only an indicator of the relative ease of entering. Even the minimum entrance requirements may be altered for certain athletes but they must meet the minimum NCAA requirements.

BTW, Sydvicious hasn't yet received a qualifying score. If he does not, he will be at Blinn for two years per Vito.

• Upvote 1

I'd like to hire a very good DFW high school coach to bring in to replace Gaines. Claude Mathis (DeSoto) accepted a position at UH last year as running back coach before deciding to go back to the U. Cedar Hill's Joey McGuire would be excellent and possibly Reginald Samples at Skyline (SOC alum) I'm sure all these guys are currently close to 100K which may present a problem. We just need to do better in Dallas/Ft Worth.

• Upvote 1

I'd like to hire a very good DFW high school coach to bring in to replace Gaines. Claude Mathis (DeSoto) accepted a position at UH last year as running back coach before deciding to go back to the U. Cedar Hill's Joey McGuire would be excellent and possibly Reginald Samples at Skyline (SOC alum) I'm sure all these guys are currently close to 100K which may present a problem. We just need to do better in Dallas/Ft Worth.

Certainly don't disagree here. Mathis or McGuire would be excellent.

I can't answer to the specific requirements of each school but here are the 50 percentile SAT scores:

North Texas 1105

Texas State 1060

Arkansas State 1030

UTSA 1030

La Tech 1020

ULM 960

Louisiana 22.0*

*Louisiana uses ACT scores

This is only an indicator of the relative ease of entering. Even the minimum entrance requirements may be altered for certain athletes but they must meet the minimum NCAA requirements.

BTW, Sydvicious hasn't yet received a qualifying score. If he does not, he will be at Blinn for two years per Vito.

That's why SMU lost interest. He will be a good get IF... and big on the IF... he qualifies.

• Upvote 1

Amen Cooley I'd take either one of them! I think giving a DFW high school coach from a power program with great relationships makes a lot of sense!!