Vito reporting Gaines leaving UNT’s staff

Harry

Justin Gaines, one of the original members of Dan McCarneys staff at North Texas, has resigned.

Gaines coached UNTs cornerbacks and recruited Louisiana throughout his tenure with the Mean Green.

Trent Delahoussaye, the head coach at Loreauville, La., High said Monday that Gaines was no longer recruiting his star player, wide receiver/defensive Jermaine Antoine.

A source within the UNT athletic department later confirmed that Gaines resigned late last week.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/02/gaines-leaving-unts-staff.html/

Delahoussaye said that UNT safeties coach Noah Joseph has continued recruiting Antoine since Gaines left the staff. Delahoussaye said that TCU offered a scholarship to Antoine in the last few days. Antoine has yet to decide what he is going to do, but that he was upset by Gaines’ departure from the staff, which could impact his decision on where to sign

Antoine said Sunday afternoon that he was still committed to UNT following his visit to TCU, but also told Ryan Osborne, who works for PurpleMenace.com, Rivals.com’s TCU site, that he would seriousluy consider signing with TCU if the school offered him a scholarship.

Can't win for losing

Vito ... thanks a lot for breaking this story two days before signing day. I'm sure that will encourage McCarney to give you some inside scoop.

Yeah, I would think this has to do with another job. If McCarney wanted to replace him for coaching reasons you'd think that would have been done earlier.

Considering football scoop doesn't even have it yet, this might have been a tad overzealous... I guess the cat is out of the bag now

One would think Gaines could have used his brain and waited a couple days....unless this is some sort of serious personal matter...in which case officially resigning probably would not have been a priority anyway though.

Really funny how nothing ever goes right for us...oh wait, we did steal that one recruit from TSSM.

• Upvote 3

Not good news this close to signing day. One wonders why it came this close...hopefully, Coach Gaines got a job he thinks is bigger, better, etc. Just wish the announcement could have been held until after signing day. But, if the only reason the kid was coming to UNT was because of who recruited him, then not sure he was that solid a "yes" anyway. Sure hate to lose the kid to TCU.....double darn. But 18 year old kids have a way of doing interesting things....so until signing day is done and names are signed on dotted lines, I just will hold my breath and hope the kid "see the errors of his ways" here and comes home to UNT!

He may well see the pine for a good while at TCU where he would have seen earlier playing time at UNT perhaps...then there's that "potential" thing...seen a lot of "potential" go to waste on lots of football teams from HS to the pros. As the great philosopher says..."you never know until you know?.

• Upvote 2

Vito ... thanks a lot for breaking this story two days before signing day. I'm sure that will encourage McCarney to give you some inside scoop.

Yeah, I would think this has to do with another job. If McCarney wanted to replace him for coaching reasons you'd think that would have been done earlier.

I don't think you can lay blame at the feet of Vito. It appears he was following up on Antoine and found out through his coach, and then tried to confirm with McCarney, who hasn't responded. If McCarney left Antoine dangling then it is his own fault.

• Upvote 1

Not good news this close to signing day. One wonders why it came this close...hopefully, Coach Gaines got a job he thinks is bigger, better, etc. Just wish the announcement could have been held until after signing day. But, if the only reason the kid was coming to UNT was because of who recruited him, then not sure he was that solid a "yes" anyway. Sure hate to lose the kid to TCU.....double darn. But 18 year old kids have a way of doing interesting things....so until signing day is done and names are signed on dotted lines, I just will hold my breath and hope the kid "see the errors of his ways" here and comes home to UNT!

He may well see the pine for a good while at TCU where he would have seen earlier playing time at UNT perhaps...then there's that "potential" thing...seen a lot of "potential" go to waste on lots of football teams from HS to the pros. As the great philosopher says..."you never know until you know?.

The kid just bitch-slapped us.... fill his role with someone else and let him seek himself at TCU and MAYBE get some playing time by his Junior Yr. As far as LA recruits....screw em. Too much has this happened to us in the past while passing up on Texas talent.

Devante Davis just left the team... Darius Carey couldn't stop being a stupid shit..... and then we have last year's last second switch of Royce LaFrance to sorry Tulane.

Quit wasting time going after kids who are that far away and wind up not panning out for us.