Taking an early stab at a prediction on UTSA football

Harry

I actually really like that UNT will be playing UTSA on a regular basis. I see a potential for great road trips, some wins and perhaps even a rivalry game developing in the course of a few years. It's a Texas school (many have been wanting such for a good many of years now...myself included), will have a decnt size student body that might travel to away games, has shown an early ability to draw fans and financial support, and is trying to develop a solid athletic program including football.

So, bring 'em on...I see nothing at all other than positives with UTSA now and in the future.

• Upvote 1

I predict Utsa will win 3-4 games...........well, let me correct that. I pray we win that many. I see alot of potential in the Runners, but we arent quite there yet. Even though I was quite suprised with an 8 win season. Everyone forgets that Utsa was only in its second season with 60 something scholarships compared to the 85 full D1 schools receive. We also won 8 games with mostly, freshmen, sophomores and walkons. I dont even believe Utsa had any players over 2star..........if even that.

Edited by lebomb
  • Upvote 1

I predict Utsa will win 3-4 games...........well, let me correct that. I pray we win that many. I see alot of potential in the Runners, but we arent quite there yet. Even though I was quite suprised with an 8 win season. Everyone forgets that Utsa was only in its second season with 60 something scholarships compared to the 85 full D1 schools receive. We also won 8 games with mostly, freshmen, sophomores and walkons. I dont even believe Utsa had any players over 2star..........if even that.

Do you believe one of those 3-4 wins will come against the Mean Green in Denton?

I actually really like that UNT will be playing UTSA on a regular basis. I see a potential for great road trips, some wins and perhaps even a rivalry game developing in the course of a few years. It's a Texas school (many have been wanting such for a good many of years now...myself included), will have a decnt size student body that might travel to away games, has shown an early ability to draw fans and financial support, and is trying to develop a solid athletic program including football.

So, bring 'em on...I see nothing at all other than positives with UTSA now and in the future.

I agree 100%. This could develop into a great rivalry.

For all the UTSA haters, it will be great to get an easy win next year against an upstart team.

All they have are a bunch of no name players and some old coach named Larry Coker. So what if he won a national championship and finished ranked in the top 5 three times. After all, he has lost 25 games in his coaching career and he didn't take Miami to back to back undefeated seasons because of the controversial loss to Ohio State in the BSC championship. So what if they went 31-1 when he took over as head coach. We should never fear some old coach who is obviously past his prime. Just because I whistle when I walk past a graveyard at night doesn't mean I'm afraid. No not me.

Edited by casual fan
  • Upvote 1

I agree 100%. This could develop into a great rivalry.

For all the UTSA haters, it will be great to get an easy win next year against an upstart team.

All they have are a bunch of no name players and some old coach named Larry Coker. So what if he won a national championship and finished ranked in the top 5 three times. After all, he has lost 25 games in his coaching career and he didn't take Miami to back to back undefeated seasons because of the controversial loss to Ohio State in the BSC championship. So what if they went 31-1 when he took over as head coach. We should never fear some old coach who is obviously past his prime. Just because I whistle when I walk past a graveyard at night doesn't mean I'm afraid. No not me.

So what if Coker did well with someone else recruits and watched it fall apart after wards.. Never been a fan of his and his supposed coaching genius.

Edited by laxtonto

So what if Coker did well with someone else recruits and watched it fall apart after wards.. Never been a fan of his and his supposed coaching genius.

I've never heard anyone call Coker a genius, but I do think that he was a part of the staff that recruited all that talent at Miami. They fell backwards and he got canned, but Miami has never been close to the same since he left. I do believe that UTSA got a great coach for their situation. Time will tell.

I've never heard anyone call Coker a genius, but I do think that he was a part of the staff that recruited all that talent at Miami. They fell backwards and he got canned, but Miami has never been close to the same since he left. I do believe that UTSA got a great coach for their situation. Time will tell.

Coker was never the big recruiting guy for Miami. I lived in south Florida during his run and he was never the guy that brought in the players. There has been a total of 2 coaches since he left, so it is kinda hard to say that it means anything that they have not gotten back to where Butch Davis and Jimmy Johnson got them to and Coker subsequently let die out.

Lets also not forget that the "U" is in financial trouble in their AD and have let facilities slide some so it is not a surprise to see. Mix in the fact that Larry Coker's tenure aligns up exactly with the beginning of the Nevin Shapiro years in Maimi and lets just say I have a hard time equating him with being the driving force behind their success.

If North Texas were to lose to 3 year program UTSA, I think the apocalypse would start soon-after and it would start in Denton, Texas, America; plus it would be very easy to predict that there would be one helluva bunch of heads that will be rolling out of the vicinity of the UNT athletic department because even they know BS-101 or spin would no longer work among the very restless natives that our constituency has become.

I have admired UTSA's "can do" marketing spirit, but am not ready to concede to a school that has not one iota of the history that the rainbow-colored signature below this post indicates that we have at North Texas. I know, that and a buck will get you a bad cup of coffee, but history and legacy are still something to build onto and this next Fall will tell us much about what kind of construction workers we really have. I hope we are a raging success and become like a warm fuzzy feel good movie next Fall because I'm tired of changing every 4 or 5 years but while on that subject........you still may have to do what you have to do if you need to ultimately do it.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

If North Texas were to lose to 3 year program UTSA, I think the apocalypse would start soon-after and it would start in Denton, Texas, America; plus it would be very easy to predict that there would be one helluva bunch of heads that will be rolling out of the vicinity of the UNT athletic department because even they know BS-101 or spin would no longer work among the very restless natives that our constituency has become.

I have admired UTSA's "can do" marketing spirit, but am not ready to concede to a school that has not one iota of the history that the rainbow-colored signature below this post indicates that we have at North Texas. I know, that and a buck will get you a bad cup of coffee, but history and legacy are still something to build onto and this next Fall will tell us much about what kind of construction workers we really have. I hope we are a raging success and become like a warm fuzzy feel good movie next Fall because I'm tired of changing every 4 or 5 years but while on that subject........you still may have to do what you have to do if you need to ultimately do it.

Nope...wouldn't happen. Sorry, PLUMM...it would just be another loss in a game where we should have been on the winning end. You and I have seen this too many times in recent years....recall the Troy game last year? I am still bummed about that one. No heads will be rolling and the sun will still come up over Apogee the following morning shout UNT somehow lose to UTSA this year.

Lots of programs have lost games to "supposedly" lesser competition...happens every year in college ball.....now as far as this year's game with UTSA...That will be a UNT win at home, and that will "save the day" in our scenario, so never fear!

Nope...wouldn't happen. Sorry, PLUMM...it would just be another loss in a game where we should have been on the winning end. You and I have seen this too many times in recent years....recall the Troy game last year? I am still bummed about that one. No heads will be rolling and the sun will still come up over Apogee the following morning shout UNT somehow lose to UTSA this year.

Lots of programs have lost games to "supposedly" lesser competition...happens every year in college ball.....now as far as this year's game with UTSA...That will be a UNT win at home, and that will "save the day" in our scenario, so never fear!

KRAM1, you remind me of me 30 years ago with all the Dr. N.V. Peale stuff, but that was 30 years ago and much has happened (or not happened) in our last 30 years in Denton. I will not list all of them because that would take up too much (is it called) broadband?

America loves "come back" stories and I hope our alma mater, ie, North Texas will be one of those this Fall (and I think it actually could be); but on the other hand...........well, I worked in private industry (as most on this board do) and when someone who does not get the job done with a fair amount of time to git'er done to quote a famous movie star............"well, you have to let them go." I realize UNT is basically a goverment run operation for all practical purposes and therefore doesn't seem to have the same sense of urgency private industry has but.............it really should.

GMG!

KRAM1, you remind me of me 30 years ago with all the Dr. N.V. Peale stuff, but that was 30 years ago and much has happened (or not happened) in our last 30 years in Denton. I will not list all of them because that would take up too much (is it called) broadband?

America loves "come back" stories and I hope our alma mater, ie, North Texas will be one of those this Fall (and I think it actually could be); but on the other hand...........well, I worked in private industry (as most on this board do) and when someone who does not get the job done with a fair amount of time to git'er done to quote a famous movie star............"well, you have to let them go." I realize UNT is basically a goverment run operation for all practical purposes and therefore doesn't seem to have the same sense of urgency private industry has but.............it really should.

GMG!

Oh, Plumm, you just have a vivid imagination of what a loss to UTSA might mean to the program and the HC and the AD with regards to their jobs...that's all. Keep smokin' the good stuff.....and keep the faith...Hey, I have lived through those 30 years of changes in denton...no need to list them for my sake.

I don't think it would be as devastating as losing to start-up programs like FAU. Captain K. just owned DD, and even though Captain K. was a great coach (and obviously a great recruiter) it still look pathetic to the casual/uneducated students and/or locals that we lost to Florida Who?

Oh, Plumm, you just have a vivid imagination of what a loss to UTSA might mean to the program and the HC and the AD with regards to their jobs...that's all. Keep smokin' the good stuff.....and keep the faith...Hey, I have lived through those 30 years of changes in denton...no need to list them for my sake.

Yes, as they say........... one game does not a program make or break, but we just had our 8'th losing season in a row, KRAM1 so...........speaking of smoking? Just what blend are you mixing these days because I want some of that like....NOW! LOL!

Seriously, since my first North Texas game in September of 1973 and up till present day...most of us from that era (as you would know) have not experienced this many losing seasons in a row so I guess many of us Old Phart Alums are getting (might you say) a bit panicky since some of our life clocks are ticking? :(

North Texas deserves no less than what our former Big West conference-mate Boise State has been doing and I will feel that way until my own last second ticks down. I don't get caught up with campus personalities and really stopped doing that about the time Corky Nelson left so it's easy to express how I feel about these things. Getting emotionally attached to UNT employees is not always the best modus operendi in order to keep an unbiased opinion on an employee's job performance.

GMG !

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I don't think it would be as devastating as losing to start-up programs like FAU. Captain K. just owned DD, and even though Captain K. was a great coach (and obviously a great recruiter) it still look pathetic to the casual/uneducated students and/or locals that we lost to Florida Who?

Yes, it would. People in Texas actually know UTSA. No one had heard of FAU or USF before them, so when we lost to them (repeatedly) no Texans even cared. UTSA beating us would be the ultimate insult. If we lose to them, which means we would have a losing season most likely, I know for a fact that changes better happen, either with the head coach and his enitre staff or with all of them plus the AD. No way that should be acceptable to anyone who posts on this board. Hell,it shouldn't be acceptable to any of the casual fans of ours that only show up when we play someone they've heard of. And if it happens and no one loses their job, I am out on giving anymore time, money, or energy to this place. If things are so apathetic around here to not cause any changes if that kind of stupidity occurred, we really should just go back to FCS ball. That is unforgiveable, at least in my eyes. No freakin' way a third year program should be able to even compete with a program like ours at this stage of the game. We aren't in our 5th year of FBS ball, its going to be number 19, for crying out loud!!

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 1

Yes, it would. People in Texas actually know UTSA. No one had heard of FAU or USF before them, so when we lost to them (repeatedly) no Texans even cared. UTSA beating us would be the ultimate insult. If we lose to them, which means we would have a losing season most likely, I know for a fact that changes better happen, either with the head coach and his enitre staff or with all of them plus the AD. No way that should be acceptable to anyone who posts on this board. Hell,it shouldn't be acceptable to any of the casual fans of ours that only show up when we play someone they've heard of. And if it happens and no one loses their job, I am out on giving anymore time, money, or energy to this place. If things are so apathetic around here to not cause any changes if that kind of stupidity occurred, we really should just go back to FBS ball. That is unforgiveable, at least in my eyes. No freakin' way a third year program should be able to even compete with a program like ours at this stage of the game. We aren't in our 5th year of FBS ball, its going to be number 19, for crying out loud!!

So the results of the 10 games before we play UTSA next year mean nothing? If we are bowl eligible before playing the UTSA game, but lose, you want heads to roll or you will stop supporting your school? I really do not get statements like yours. For me, I'll take the games one at a time and hope that we only lose to UTSA next year. I'll take those types of results and would hope that those in charge would get an extension instead of cutting bait because we lost to a particular team I felt was beneath our greatness(Not saying I feel UTSA is beneath us in any way other than being a newer program).

• Upvote 2

So the results of the 10 games before we play UTSA next year mean nothing? If we are bowl eligible before playing the UTSA game, but lose, you want heads to roll or you will stop supporting your school? I really do not get statements like yours. For me, I'll take the games one at a time and hope that we only lose to UTSA next year. I'll take those types of results and would hope that those in charge would get an extension instead of cutting bait because we lost to a particular team I felt was beneath our greatness(Not saying I feel UTSA is beneath us in any way other than being a newer program).

I'll let him answer for himself, but I assume the boldface was a key part of what he went on to say:

UTSA beating us would be the ultimate insult. If we lose to them, which means we would have a losing season most likely, I know for a fact that changes better happen

• Upvote 1

Love this I will hold my breath until someone does or does not do something or until UNT does or does not do something. Seems this strategy never changes parental behavior but the kids keep trying.

• Upvote 1

It is called expectations. Don't lose to UTSA. That is the bare minimum.

Agreed and you have stated yours for all to see. My money is on Mac to bail you out of your "either or". Here's hoping he does.

I am also betting on Mac to make sure I don't have to follow through. But I think I have proven that when I state something I will follow through.

Examples: getting $3.50 per credit hour per student to build the Mean Green Village; staying off GMG for one year after losing a bet to emmitt.

I fully expect UNT to beat UTSA. In fact, I am 100% sure they will. That is why if they don't, it will be the last straw for me. I barely came back after that shit-show of a game against Troy. If he blows it against UTSA, it is certain proof he isn't the right guy for the job and must go. Period.

I really am betting on Mac. Betting my hard earned money when I pay my MGC dues. I upped my donation from $250 to $500 in 2012. (I know that isn't much to some of you but it is for me right now.) Just to show I am on Mac's side and not out for his head, I will up it again to $750. But if he fails us this year, either he goes or I do.

See, this is a one-sided losing bet. Mac is risking nothing, but you have set up a no-win. Mac stays and knows nor cares anything about your threat. So, make it better...send Mac a personal note and let him know what's at stake. I doubt he reads this board, so he might not know how big the stakes are for him in that UTSA game. Just having some fun with you. Seriously though...appreciate the fact that you will up your contribution even while you throw down the gauntlet. Well done, Sir! I'm betting you will have to raise it to $1000 in 2014 just to keep this going. BEAT UTSA...we are rooting for 97and03 here!

• Upvote 1