Who should fill our recruiting class?

BillySee58

3 spots left in this class seems to be the consensus. We're less than a month from signing day, so who would you want (ideally, yet realistically) to fill our recruiting class?

A few of the candidates: (Player, home town, position, Rivals Rank)

Jermaine Antoine - Loreauville, LA - Skill Athlete - 3 stars

DJ Dean - Newton, TX - Skill Athlete - 3 stars

Aaron Doddy - Hooks, TX - Skill Athlete - 2 stars

Jerquis Beasley - Orange, TX - Defensive Tackle - Unranked

Chris Loving (JUCO) - Klein, TX - Tight End - Unranked

Tre Allen - Longview, TX - Jumbo Athlete - 2 stars

Allen is still listed as a commit to Arky State on recruiting websites but has decommitted from the team and still is uncommitted as far as I know. He also does not show a UNT offer but does have former teammates from Chapel Hill in Tyler currently playing for UNT.

http://etsn.fm/longviews-tre-allen-no-longer-committed-to-arkansas-state-weighing-options/

*Note - A skill athlete is a player recruited to play a skill position on either side of the ball such as a wide receiver/cornerback and a jumbo athlete has the potential to play a position on either side of the ball with more weight requirements such as a tight end/defensive end or a o-lineman/d-lineman.

• Downvote 1

I am thinking they try to land TE Loving and the two athletes. I don't think they will take a dtackle unless there is quality that comes available.

I agree. If Beasley commits, which I think he will since we are his only offer, I could see him being a potential grayshirt candidate

Edited by BillySee58

At the end of recruiting, it is interesting whether NT goes up or down. In the past, particularly under DD, NT picked up some good potential players as they missed out on their dream team or conference. McCarney thus far has went in the opposite direction even losing some commits and going to back up recruits.

There are both types that have been identified, recruits that are still looking for a "better" situation and some that are not holding any offers.

My view is that NT should hold out for the recruits with the most potential and if they miss out on a few borderline recruits, so be it. To be very candid, there is not much difference in the perceived quality of a fill in recruit and one that might walk on.

To be very candid, there is not much difference in the perceived quality of a fill in recruit and one that might walk on.
This. I look at Kenny Buyers contributing on special teams and even playing meaningful minutes at times in our dime packages last year as a walkon true freshman.

If a guy like John Shilleci, scholarship commit who looked suspect when I saw him play for Guyer this year, can turn out as good as Kenny Buyers, I'd be happy.

In addition to those BillySee58 named there are several more that we have offered that might still be open. I have a feeling that many on the list may not have clearance and a few may have been withdrawn but I still have the following open:

Carlton Perkins RB Walker LA 3*

Cameron Smith WR Coppell 2*

Ladarius Spearman WR Beaumont West Brook Unrated

Taylor Cochran DT LaPlace LA 2*

Matthew Romar DT Port Arthur Memorial 3*

Graysen Schantz DE Lake Dallas 2*

Tanzel Smart DT Baton Rouge LA 3*

Ed Duplessis LB Covington LA 2*

Kahlee Woods LB Sherman 3*

Manuel Mukes DB Baton Rouge LA 3*

Zachry Newman DB FB Marshall 3*

In addition to those BillySee58 named there are several more that we have offered that might still be open. I have a feeling that many on the list may not have clearance and a few may have been withdrawn but I still have the following open:

Carlton Perkins RB Walker LA 3*

Cameron Smith WR Coppell 2*

Ladarius Spearman WR Beaumont West Brook Unrated

Taylor Cochran DT LaPlace LA 2*

Matthew Romar DT Port Arthur Memorial 3*

Graysen Schantz DE Lake Dallas 2*

Tanzel Smart DT Baton Rouge LA 3*

Ed Duplessis LB Covington LA 2*

Kahlee Woods LB Sherman 3*

Manuel Mukes DB Baton Rouge LA 3*

Zachry Newman DB FB Marshall 3*

Thank you! Romar has eliminated us.

Antoine, Claude George & Loving would be who I think we end up with. I'm also not sure Beasley's offer is current, nor his teammate at WOS Colin Janice.

I would personally like to have Antoine, Loving, and any DT left that's a border line player, even a guy who would be a 2 or 3 year project. We need at least one in this class.

Antoine, Claude George & Loving would be who I think we end up with. I'm also not sure Beasley's offer is current, nor his teammate at WOS Colin Janice.

I would personally like to have Antoine, Loving, and any DT left that's a border line player, even a guy who would be a 2 or 3 year project. We need at least one in this class.

Ah, forgot about Claude George! Yeah I like his potential as well.

I like pulling players from Louisiana as well.

Victor Howell is still out there and would be a couple years down the road type of DT. Tanzel Smart has visit scheduled with Tulane on 1/18 according to rivals. If we are signing a DT currently on the radar, one of those two may be the most likely. Of course there is always the chance that we offer a non qualifier DT stud not currently on the radar and hope that he qualifies over the summer.