Aggies leave no doubt

emmitt01

Nah, the SEC isn't better than the Big XII. They're just working on national title number seven...in a row, just have more ranked teams and more highly ranked teams year in and year out, and have beaten their Big XII opponent when they've squared off in the NC game lately. If you're waiting for the Aggies to win a national title to be "great", it seems a little strange that the conference that's collecting them like stamps is somehow not at the top of your hierarchy.
Nobody is disputing they are having a good run. A&M has collected how many championships lately? Stick with the topic. I recall some Big XII teams winning a few years back. Not to long ago people were arguing the PAC10 dominance. The SEC has done great lately but like everybody's run, it will end. The BSC ensured what been going on with rankings and that's why its going to always be around. Oh wait...

You appear to know everything though. It's been corrupt and that is why its out. The world isn't black and white nor is college athletic rankings. There are no politics involved, right Boise? All this is here nor there and I won't bother discussing anything further with your arrogant behavior. Take your blood pressure meds and chill out. It football talk for goodness sake. Good day...

Edited by UNTexas
  • Downvote 1

You do acknowledge that subjective terms like "better" are relative to the here and now, do you not? For instance, would you say that Boise State is better than North Texas in football? I certainly would. Why? Because, currently, they are vastly more successful. We all know there was a time when this wasn't the case...perhaps when you played for North Texas and gained your vast knowledge. When you make the statement "The SEC isn't better than the Big XII" and I respond with evidence to the contrary that is rooted in their relative positions TODAY I'm not sure how this is difficultto comprehend.

By the way it was YOUR standard of winning national titles that I used to judge "greatness". If we use your very own standard to judge "greatness" than the SEC has had seven straight "great" teams. One of those "great" teams beat the Big XII's champion just a few years ago. So, we can even reach back to the original argument about "better" and use your own logic to prove that the SEC, because they are again CURRENTLY the more dominant conference, is "better" because of their "greatness". Again, why the brain lock caused by my using said standard to show how the SEC is currently the Big XII's superior?

And politics is a funny thing to bring into this equation. The "politics" of college football ensure that the wealthiest schools with the biggest followings are highly rated so that television can always sell a marketable matchup. Are you honestly expecting us to believe that the rankings favor one monolitic conference over another (especially when the supposedly slighted cknference has a flagship school with one of the two largest athletic budgets in America)? Really?

Would you like some of my blood pressure medication to help you out?

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

So you do realize that A&M has won no championships lately? (original point) Yes, the SEC is currently out performing the Big XII. Not rocket science. However, its not always the case. Hence, seasons, fresh starts, new teams, new players, and this thing called history. When I say the Big XII is probably better than the SEC, its an opinion. Historically and possibly under the coming playoff system it could be a far better place to be, in my opinion. In a playoff system, albeit limited, wouldn't you want the easier conference? You do acknowledge in your vast field of knowledge people are entitled to opinions?

On your other point, I just had a physical and it appears everything is performing as it should be. Numbers looked good according to my doctor. I do appreciate your generosity though.

Okay, good talk, no need to respond as I am simply a UNT fan that has spoken about things I don't really care about long enough. I am going drinking for the wild card game. Have a fantastic evening! Unless you'd like to argue NFC vs AFC? That is a joke... (nfc rocks)

They did a bang up job in the Big XII. How many conference championships did they win? Did they win the SEC championship?

They weren't terribly competative so they took their ball and went home. Now they complain they won't play Texas. Frankly I hope Texas continues to shun them. A&M is a bizarre group of people that wish they were UT. One season doesn't mean crap.

Texas will shun A&M because they know that A&M would hand them there ass. It's actually not called shunning, it's called running like cowards.

• Upvote 1

Texas will shun A&M because they know that A&M would hand them there ass. It's actually not called shunning, it's called running like cowards.

But didn't they make they make the decision to not play them last year....when UT beat them?

I think all this talk s stupid anyway. The SEC is a better conference but the Big 12 will/would be the easier conference for either team to win and pave the road to a playoff/championship. A&M would beat UT this season. That doesn't mean anything for next season though.

They played last year and Texas won. Texas didn't run away. They just won the last showing and said bye bye. I am not going to defend Texas but they have their schedule locked until 2018 or something like that. Should Texas kick us off their schedule in two or three years for the Aggies? I would be upset if that happened because we need the cash

But didn't they make they make the decision to not play them last year....when UT beat them?

I think all this talk s stupid anyway. The SEC is a better conference but the Big 12 will/would be the easier conference for either team to win and pave the road to a playoff/championship. A&M would beat UT this season. That doesn't mean anything for next season though.

I'd argue, my opinion, that Texas aTm will still be better than Texas next season because they will have more stability at the key positions of QB and OL. Texas can't even decide, which is getting pretty common for Mack, who their QB is. And, I think a second year under Sumlin's system will have them even running even more smoothly.

And, while I wholly concede that playing in the Big XII does offer an easier road to the "big game" right now...that may not be such a great thing when a playoff is instituted. I think voters/computers will still weigh SEC wins more heavily than those in the Big XII (or ACC, Pac 12, Big 10, etc). Because of this, while an undefeated Big XII team is virtually assured a spot at the playoff table, a one loss team (or several one loss teams) from the SEC could trump fellow one loss teams from other conferences. (Take this year's polls going into the SEC title game as an example) So, you could have an end of year poll that looks like this...with these teams being place holders for their respective conferences and not necessarily my picks to be in each spot....

#1- LSU (12-0)

#2- OU (12-0)

#3- Wisconsin (12-0)

#4- Texas aTm (11-1)

While a 11-1 Texas team, an 11-1 Va Tech team and a 11-1 USC team would be left out.

Again, just my opinion of how it could shake out.

• Upvote 1

They played last year and Texas won. Texas didn't run away. They just won the last showing and said bye bye. I am not going to defend Texas but they have their schedule locked until 2018 or something like that. Should Texas kick us off their schedule in two or three years for the Aggies? I would be upset if that happened because we need the cash

But I thought we were talking about this year. This year A&M would stomp a whole in Texas' ass.

But it sure makes for good rivalry, doesn't it?

You mean past rivalry. As I said before, texas, according to the Aggies I talk to daily,... is in their rear view mirror.

Speaking of the past, watching Johnny Football last night reminded me alot of watching Roger "The Dodger" Staubach, Fran "The Mad Scramber" Tarkenton and Joe Theisman, scrambling around running the tongues out of the D Linemen. Very entertaining.

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

But I thought we were talking about this year. This year A&M would stomp a whole in Texas' ass.

They didn't play so its kind of silly. ATM was supposed to stomp them the last time they played. None of it matters because they aren't playing each anymore. I am interested to see how they perform next year though.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You mean past rivalry. As I said before, texas, according to the Aggies I talk to daily,... is in their rear view mirror.

A&M is definitely the better team this year, and I have no doubt that they are very happy in the SEC. . . . but you do know your Aggie friends are lying through their teeth with those comments though, right?

• Upvote 1

I know you wish this to be true. It just isn't.

I don't know if you think A&M is some workin' man's hero of a program that has been "held down by the man", but they're still one of the "evil elites" - their budgets are still obscene compared to the "little guys" (us)... just like UT. The difference is, A&M spent 14 years doing less with more than almost any program in the nation. And then blamed it on Texas. Which is why people call them the little brother.

It indeed appears they finally turned the corner. Which as I have said several times is great for them. And I love the move to the SEC!

But this idea they've "passed UT by" based on one season and a fifth place finish in the SEC is comical and delusional.

• Upvote 3

Rick

I've got some hardcore Aggie friends who say the same things but there is no way they truly believe this. They're just forcing that type of thought and mentality to make themselves feel better and make the SEC move more justified. A&M will always be second fiddle to Texas in this state as will every other school. It is what it is...there's isn't really anything wrong with it. It almost seems that A&M people are/were blaming Texas for their mediocrity and suckness during their Big 12 tenure.

At the end of the day A&M will be fine because they have a great school, program, history and money. They were a nice team this year but other than the Alabama game I wouldn't really call them all that stellar either.

I personally will not be sad if I never see the Mean Green line up across the field from Oregon and now A&M. Anyone else you can have a good half and we have against K-State, LSU, Alabama...but you are flat out taken to the woodshed and embarrassed when the Ducks and Aggies get a hold of you. That is even if you are a very solid smaller program - see Arkie State.

I love the Aggies watching from afar. I think you need to play them often like Stanford to make headway. They are like the antithesis of Air Force.

Texas A&M doesn't need any justification for joining the SEC. Down in Aggieland SEC flags fly proud and getting those rabid fanbases visiting College Station is going to do well for them for decades to come.

GMG

Finally someone with some sense on this thread! Manziel is great but I will never be a fan of the horrid Aggie!

But you are a fan of TCU and the horrid Cowboys! A walking, talking contradiction.

But you are a fan of TCU and the horrid Cowboys! A walking, talking contradiction.

Regardless how bad the Cowboys get I will always be a fan. I am a alumni of TCU so I am allowed to be a fan. Also, Aggies are way more annoying than any TCU fan. Most the ding dongs I met at TCU will not get in a fight with you because you say Frogs suck.

Edited by North Texas Shep

A&M beating the crap out of a team that beat the crap out of texas..... That's what is comical!

Rick

Yeah, but we passed A&M in 1999 because we beat Texas Tech and they beat A&M. So really, we're already ahead of everyone. Have been for about 13 years. Honestly, surprised we didn't get the SEC invite. Because that's exactly how college football work.

• Upvote 1

Deep down, every Aggie would trade this spectacular season for a 6-6 season including a win against the Longhorns as long as Manziel still got the Heisman. I've never seen a school revere a spare Heisman winner like the Aggies revere that one dude with 3 names (don't care to look him up). That's just how every Aggie is wired. And by wired, I mean brainwashed upon setting foot on campus: a football season is wasted without a win against the Longhorns.

Think UNT VS SMU, except times a million. This has been the M.O. of just about every Aggie I've ever known.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3