UNT/USA: Fumble was not a fumble

jperg2

According to this article (source: http://www.sunbeltsports.org/Sports/MensSports/Football/Article/tabid/740/Article/19111/Sun-Belt-Conference-Reprimands-Instant-Replay-Officials.aspx)

"...during the South Alabama at North Texas football game on Saturday, November 10 as USA intercepted a pass and the ensuing return resulted in a fumble by the returner at the NT goal line. The ruling on the field was that the ball was fumbled and hit the end zone pylon – resulting in a touchback. The play was reviewed by the instant replay official and the call on the field was confirmed.

Video evidence later showed that the USA player fumbled the ball and the ball proceeded to go out of bounds – short of the goal line. The ball should have been spotted at the one yard line with a first and goal for South Alabama.

The two instant replay officials will be placed on probation and will be removed from consideration to work a postseason bowl game."

• Upvote 1

i watched the game after i got home from the game, specifically to see that play again, because i questioned the call at the game (at the game i thought he stepped out prior to the fumble and he might have). he definitely fumble the ball and it went out at the one and then he hit the pile on. which probably would of cost us the game in hind sight.

So we needed a questionable call to go our way in order to secure a game against a team that is basically 1-AA? What a proud moment for a program that is going to celebrate it's 100th anniversary next year.

Man, someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed today. For all we know, USA could have tried to throw a screen at the 1 only to have it picked by Whitfield and returned for 6. Or, perhaps they score, we score on the kickoff to nullify it, and never look back from there? Or perhaps, USA could have scored, we could have fumbled the kickoff, and then they return it for a score.

Point is, saying that we needed that call to win is purely speculative. USA had plenty of chances after that call. UNT won the game, and that's the way I look at it. A win is a win is a win.

So we needed a questionable call to go our way in order to secure a game against a team that is basically 1-AA? What a proud moment for a program that is going to celebrate it's 100th anniversary next year.

So, for once, a call goes our way, and you're complaining about that? Maybe it's just me, but I didn't see any Sun Belt refs this season that I wanted to see again.

• Upvote 1

My son was sitting a few seats over from me when it happened. We both leaned forward and said "that was out of bounds" at the same time. We all thought we got a huge gift. I had recorded it and looked the play up when I got home. The announcers were adamant that there should of have been a flag for defensive holding because the player who got the interception had a handful of jersey as the pass was being thrown. So we really didn't catch a break at all. We should have had a first down 20 yards up the field.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, but if Karma is going to make it up to us, I would rather get the "makeup" call when we are playing Texas in 2014. After all, Karma does owe us one regarding Texas. We shouldn't need Karmic assistance with a 1-AA school.

If we ever make it back to even from a Karma standpoint, we should be national champions!
  • Upvote 2