Heart of Dallas Kickoff Classic at Cotton Bowl

EAGLE83

It would be killer if we could move the paycheck game (if we must have one) to something like Cotton Bowl or Deathstar. We may be a little ways away from that though. I would also just as soon keep the SMU game as home and home. I am actually looking forward to the trip to Ford.

By the way, the day he left Atlantic was a sad day indeed.

Edited by CurveItAround

Why would it be good to play a bodybag game at the Deathstar? Jerry would pocket the money.

Ford Stadium is ok. Nothing really special. Not even any place to tailgate. and you have to walk from side streets in Highland park, IF you can find any.

If we must play a bodybag game, the suggestion was to play at CB or DS as opposed to playing on the road. Would only work against teams that have huge DFW alumni that would bring about the same as home game for them so it would still be financially appealling for us.

If it is a team that we could schedule home/home with then I would not want to play them at CB or DS.

• Upvote 1

Yes, but I think it would be best in the long run to have an annual series with $mut at the Cotton Bowl. The body bag games will never be a home and home since their attitudes would not allot them to come here. IF we must play at either the Death Star or the Cotton Bowl. Give me the cotton bowl. I would think we would get more money in the long run since we wouldn't have to pay a Jerry Tax.

• Upvote 1

We built a new stadium, yet here we are, talking about a game at another venue.

I think there are 2 different conversations happening in this thread.

1. A body-bag "away" game held at the Cotton Bowl/JerryWorld. This would be a FANTASTIC idea... if we did not already have our body-bag games scheduled out 7 years. I would love to have an "away" money-game against Okie St. (for example) at the Cotton Bowl/JerryWorld rather than Stillwater.

2. A neutral site game with a team on our level (SMU/LATech) at the Cotton Bowl/JerryWorld. This is plain dumb...unless it is considered an "away" game and we would play there rather than at Ruston or Ford.

• Upvote 1

as long as we still have 6 home games... I'm ok with playing a game in one of those places... but I would much rather see SMU's Ford Stadium overrun with green than see us play to a half empty Cotton Bowl/JerryWorld

Edited by golfingomez
  • Upvote 2

Apogee wasn't built to load our team up and head to Dallas to play SMU at the Cotton Bowl. Now, I am all for collecting a check and playing an opportunity game there instead of in Baton Rouge, Fayetteville, Athens, GA, Knoxville, etc...

• Upvote 3

Now, looky here...if Tulsa or Louisiana Tech would agree to it, I'd have a neutral game very year there a la Florida-Georgia/Texas-Oklahoma.

What would it hurt? Think of the corndogs and roasted corn involved. Six home games, plus one game at the Cotton Bowl...that's what I'm in favor of.

I'm not prejudiced either - I'm already on record saying I'd like for every season opener to be against a HBC. We should also play one of the Mexican schools every year - the Aggies or Lobos, whichever one will do it, Sam!

Get RV off his ass again and have him wave the Magic Football Fan Pleasing Wand.

• Upvote 1

I would like to see a game at the Cotton bowl and/or Cowgirl Stadium in the near future. So many high schools have playoff games at Cowgirl stadium.

RV is on record as saying this will never happen. Even before Apogee he asked Delois Dodds for a 2 for 1. The response was you want to get UT to play at Fouts Field??? The fact is T$M @ TX Stadium is still the biggest "home" draw in history and about doubles the next closest. There is a reason that a team that travels that well will never come to Denton, and we continue to ignore the potential exposure and fan base that a game like that can draw.

Would you play Okla St or LSU. as one of our Home games. Louisiana Tech plays Army next year.C-USA Is involved. Game is played durring state fair.

I would say try to schedule K state, Texas, Ok state...and yes..Notre Dame...the teams we try to play at cotton bowl should be teams with name recog, possabilty to bring a crowd along with UNT that will total more than 30,000...I would be good with many teams in the rankings of 25-11, top 10, not so much. Army or navy would be good also....love this Cotton bowl idea !