Stadium & Beer

UNTexas

Anyone know if our stadiums (football & bball) will sell beer in the future. Several stadiums are going that route and it would help get bodies in the stadium. I heard a rumor we may. The El Paso Times online has an article out about the Sun Bowl starting to sell beer to everyone in the future. We would be smart to do the same.

Except that Ben Franklin never said that.

Geez. If I am drinking I may tell you I am Cobra Commander. If it makes you happy then here is another...

"To alcohol! The cause of - and solution to - all of life's problems." - Homer Simpson

Bibliography: Episode - "Homer vs The Eighteenth Amendment", aired on March 16, 1997

Edited by UNTexas

I'm all for it but the only thing I would ask they consider is setting up some type of free ride to the train or taxi services so people who have had too much to drink don't get in a wreck or get a DWI. I know that not everyone will take them up on it but it would lessen the liability and finger pointing that will occur if something bad were to happen. The last thing we need is to have a student tragedy occur and find out that drinking took place at the stadium and there were no options available to prevent it.

students won't like that.

Speaking for myself and my group of fellow students we wouldn't mind it at all. We often sit on the alumni side for most of the game to avoid the sun and we figure they could use a few more bodies over there to fill in all those empty seats, haha

• Upvote 1

I'm all for it but the only thing I would ask they consider is setting up some type of free ride to the train or taxi services so people who have had too much to drink don't get in a wreck or get a DWI. I know that not everyone will take them up on it but it would lessen the liability and finger pointing that will occur if something bad were to happen. The last thing we need is to have a student tragedy occur and find out that drinking took place at the stadium and there were no options available to prevent it.

Im no lawyer but they don't do this at any other stadium that serves so I wouldn't see the need at Apogee. As long as we take resonable precautions, train all the vendors in the required TABC courses, and stop serving in the 4th quarter we would be covered liabillity wise.

That being said, I'd like to see some kind of shuttle to and from the stadium on game days. College kids today are lazy and will use the long walk as an excuse not to attend games. We need to remove every excuse people give for not going to games. The bridge is a good step but we can do more.

Edited by Baby Arm!

Either you're responsible with your booze or you're not. There are about zero restrictions on consumption prior to the game and the enforcement against bringing in flasks of Emmitt juice is laughable. If we're going to worry about dram shop rules and tort, I'd almost be more worried about some tailgater hauling ass out onto 35 than I would be someone getting served by a TABC licensed employee.

I know that I'm sometimes not at all moderate about my booze consumption, and that includes buying overpriced concession beers in the club. But I've never driven home drunk from a game. I've always either got a prearranged ride or a room at the fine accommodations of the Lone Star motel and love shack. In fact, shocker, I haven't bought a beer during a game in over a year because I like to get home at night.

We're adults. Most of us are going to take proper precautions. For those of us who don't, whether beer is sold openly in the stands or not is going to have very, very little bearing on out decisions and subsequent actions.

The only viable reason to not allow beer sales in the stadium is that people are worried about drunken vocabulary around their kids, and that's a somewhat valid concern, but again, I refer you to the tailgates and rampant imported flasks roaming the stands.