3 Things that Have to Happen...

BIG DAWG

If you had to single out 3 things that have to happen (on the field) to get us to a bowl game this season, what would it be? To make it interesting, be specific...stay away from "the secondary has o play better"

Here are mine...

1) Thompson has to be a top 3 statistical QB in the Belt

2) We have to find 1 shutdown/solid corner...Trice will be a player and a dependable corner will dramatically help secondary

3) KC Obi has to play at the same level AK did

• Upvote 2

1) O-Line has to continue and build off its play from the end of last season. This will allow DT to blossom and a RB to emerge.

2) We need a star/impact player to emerge at each defensive level, Line/LB/Secondary

3) DMac needs a Grey Goose Boy a la Buick/Diet Coke Boy.

Edited by greenminer

1). One of the true freshmen must emerge at corner BY conference.

2). Tevinn Cantly must play the entire 2012 season like he did the last half of last season.

3). DT must stay healthy the entire season.

1.)our defensive tackles need to effectively take up space... they don't have to make big plays... just be able to alter running backs paths and move the pocket backwards on Qb's

2.)whoever is running the ball needs to be able to get a consistent 4 yards on first down

3.) we have to beat Troy, that is far and away the biggest game on our schedule IMO... and could really determine how the season goes...

• Upvote 2

1. Have more points at the end of the game than our opponent , for 7 of our games.

2. Have more points at the end of the game than our opponent, for 8 of our games.

3. Have more points at the end of the game than our opponent, for 9 of our games.

Sorry couldn't resist. ? I kid, I joke.

Edited by filmerj
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1. The strength of this team is the OL. If they can run the ball down other teams throats, it will help every other aspect of the game.

2. The defense looked pretty good at the end of last season. If they improve a little and the offence controls the clock and keeps them off the field, things will be ok.

3. The stars need to align. No weird injuries. No bad weird plays or calls at the wrong time.

By all odds we should finally get some breaks. We are due.

1) Six McCarney recruited guys that become difference makers (all conference types) early in thier career. We already have a few role players but we need the true difference makers to show up this year.

Last year there was no way I would have predicted 5 wins. I saw us more as a 0-3 win team. I am completely sold on McCarney if he gets us to a bowl this year although getting to a bowl seems a bit of a stretch.

1. Derek Thompson must continue his progress. I think a step back season could be trouble for the Mean Green. I don't think he needs to go out and win the games for UNT but he needs to be a good game manager.

2. Don't lose the special teams battle. No opening kickoff touchdowns, make field goals/ PATs, no blocked punts.

3. Someone step up and take leadership for the secondary. Potentially that is UNT's weakest spot on field and they need a leader both on and off the field to make them an asset.

• Upvote 1

1) A possession TE/WR must develop. Someone to move the chains and keep people off the running game.

2) The QB cannot be a statue. He must be some sort of running threat. Maybe he doesn't score, but he puts pressure on you out of the pocket or when he pulls the ball down.

3) Must develop a pass rush without bringing second level people.

1) DT has to execute better footwork in the pocket. -He's got to step into his throws in order to be accurate.

Too many times he throws off his back foot. That elongates his throwing motion & makes him less effective. Causes the "heave".

Correcting his footwork would make him 10 -15% more efficient & probably put him within the top 5 SB QBs.

-Plenty good to win with.

2) Blitz all the damn time & from every angle you can. This years secondary is much faster than last. They'll be able to deal with it.

3) Hold the line with your special teams. Good place kicker, Good return game, Great punter. Just don't get worse on special teams.

• Upvote 2

Derek Thompson is the key to the season. I like our O line and receivers and feel we're fairly solid at running back. The move of the fast kid from Sherman to CB greatly helps the secondary. I feel 7-5 is a realistic possibility. Far from being atrocious I feel our depth at QB is an asset, McNulty & Osborne are both gamers.

DT has to execute better footwork in the pocket. -He's got to step into his throws in order to be accurate.

Too many times he throws off his back foot.

This could be one of the most dead on statements I have read in a long time...PLEASE QUIT THROWING OFF OF YOUR BACK FOOT!!!

The team must remain healthy. No season-ending injuries by anyone but especially where we are thin (WR,DB).

The kicking game must be nearly flawless.

We need to have a plus in turnovers.

PS: I'm certainly no authority but I don't care whether he throws off off his front or back foot as long as he doesn't throw interceptions or get sacked.

Edited by GrayEagle