VERBAL - 2013 JUCO - Arthur Casimiro - 6'10" C

Point being?

These are the only stats I have seen on this young man while our two LB recruits for our football team have the numbers to indicate that they are athletic and have produced on the football field.

Just seems ironic that you jumped downed someone's throat for calling a primarly back up player on a 2 - 8 team a " project " and then turn around and do it on someone who was good enough to make the Brazilian national team.

International players play a different style of game , they aren't going to wow you with any numbers. We got a big guy who is going to play tough defense. He's from Brazil , so you know he's physical. I don't think he was brought in here to score 20 + points a game for us

They could all be projects or they could all turn out to be all conference. We don't know , our coaches don't know. That's just the way recruiting go. To already say this is a wasted ship is a bit of a knee jerk

Edited by NT03
  • Upvote 2

I am waiting for our first guard to sign! I would like a nice 6'5" 3 point shooter please!

I'm really hoping for Shirmane Thomas as our next verbal , altHough he said he won't commit till August. The way things are going , we might be out of ships by then

Edited by NT03
  • Upvote 3

I think a lot of you are looking at his stats and comparing to US high school stats. His regular team not the international team, average age was 26 and there is no comparison even with the best US high schools. One service has his skill level rating as low but his potential high.

I don't think Benford would be interested if he didn't think he had a high ceiling. A lot of people maybe are thinking Barnett, Howerton and Knox but my guess is none of them would be remotely close to playing on a Brazil national team. NT has signed a lot of 6'10 projects because the NT's of the world don't get big men that are play ready. I don't think that Coleman and Casimiro are sure things either but I believe they have much more potential than the ones named.

• Upvote 2

Just seems ironic that you jumped downed someone's throat for calling a primarly back up player on a 2 - 8 team a " project " and then turn around and do it on someone who was good enough to make the Brazilian national team.

International players play a different style of game , they aren't going to wow you with any numbers. We got a big guy who is going to play tough defense. He's from Brazil , so you know he's physical. I don't think he was brought in here to score 20 + points a game for us

They could all be projects or they could all turn out to be all conference. We don't know , our coaches don't know. That's just the way recruiting go. To already say this is a wasted ship is a bit of a knee jerk

A high school project with 4-5 years to develop is different than a JUCO transfer with 2 years to develop, but point taken.

• Upvote 1

Casimiro is, at most, the 3rd best 20 year old Center in Brazil.

His stat lines are sub-Fabio Ribeiro. His international experience and his evaluations (international scouting and JUCO/college recruiting) put him in a tier below Niko Stojiljkovic.

I'm not saying any of this is good or bad. These are just facts. Set expectations accordingly.

Looking ever farther into the future

CURRENT

C- tony Mitchell (SR) Kieth Coleman (SO) Niko (SR)

PF- Tony Mitchell (SR) Jacob Holmen (Sr) Niko (SR)

SF- Jacob Holmen (SR) Jordan Williams (SO) Clarke Overlander (FR)

SG-Alzee Williams(will be SR) Brandon Walton (SR)

PG- Chris Jones/(SO) Trey Norris(SO) Hardwick(FR)

Next year

C- Coleman/Casimiro/Tony Nunn

PF- Anthony Norris/Casimiro/Tony Nunn

SF- Jordan Williams/ Clarke Overlander

SG- Chris Jones? Trey Norris? Clarke Overlander?

PG- Chris Jones? Trey Norris? PJ Hadrwick

Hopefully we land a true shooting guard and another player in the 6'6-6'8 range to play the 3/4. Even without Tony if Coleman comes along, this team will be scary for the next three years.

• Upvote 1

Looking ever farther into the future

CURRENT

C- tony Mitchell (SR) Kieth Coleman (SO) Niko (SR)

PF- Tony Mitchell (SR) Jacob Holmen (Sr) Niko (SR)

SF- Jacob Holmen (SR) Jordan Williams (SO) Clarke Overlander (FR)

SG-Alzee Williams(will be SR) Brandon Walton (SR)

PG- Chris Jones/(SO) Trey Norris(SO) Hardwick(FR)

Next year

C- Coleman/Casimiro/Tony Nunn

PF- Anthony Norris/Casimiro/Tony Nunn

SF- Jordan Williams/ Clarke Overlander

SG- Chris Jones? Trey Norris? Clarke Overlander?

PG- Chris Jones? Trey Norris? PJ Hadrwick

Hopefully we land a true shooting guard and another player in the 6'6-6'8 range to play the 3/4. Even without Tony if Coleman comes along, this team will be scary for the next three years.

We will have Alzee at the 2 for next year. He is only a Jr.

Edited by glick1980
  • Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...

I feel like this is a similar situation to one I found myself in about a month ago. My Celtics drafted Fab Melo from Syracuse, a big man with no skills but he's huge and good at defense, and has a high upside. The biggest difference is that he has maybe 5+ years to develop, whereas in college you only have a couple, especially if he is already 20. But, let's withhold judgment here. Benford knows what he is doing, and he wouldn't waste a scholly on a kid that he didn't think would help the team. Even in C USA, 6'10 is rather large. Even if he plays 15 minutes a game of just good D and rebounding, but is an offensive waste of space, it will be worth it. Not many schools have that amount of size.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• 3 months later...

Lot of you like to rag on Casimiro as a reach but I think Norris is far more risky. Looks awful Edwards' like to me, great hs player his junior year but has disappeared since. Didn't statr as a fish at JUCO, and doesn't look good thus far this year.

Casimiro by the way is listed on the San Bernardina Valley College as a 6'11 270 lb freshman. Even though Jucos frequently overstate heights, he has to be a big dude and it appears will have 3 years to play at NT.

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 1

Lot of you like to rag on Casmira as a reach but I think Norris is far more risky. Looks awful Edwards' like to me, great hs player his junior year but has disappeared since. Didn't statr as a fish at JUCO, and doesn't look good thus far this year.

Casmira by the way is listed on the San Bernardina Valley College as a 6'11 270 lb freshman. Even though Jucos frequently overstate heights, he has to be a big dude and it appears will have 3 years to play at NT.

I knew he was tall but did not know he weighed that much... that's a big dude

Lot of you like to rag on Casimiro as a reach but I think Norris is far more risky. Looks awful Edwards' like to me, great hs player his junior year but has disappeared since. Didn't statr as a fish at JUCO, and doesn't look good thus far this year.

Casimiro by the way is listed on the San Bernardina Valley College as a 6'11 270 lb freshman. Even though Jucos frequently overstate heights, he has to be a big dude and it appears will have 3 years to play at NT.

But, he's white.

UNT has a terrible history with big white guys. Niko is the best white big I can think of UNT having in years.

Man I'd love to have any of these guys:

Terry Bailey, 6-8 (Juco All-American)

Jason Miller, 6-9 (Best on the team with Deginald Erskin; transferred to OSU)

Adam Smith, 6-8

Greg Grissom, 6-10 (Transferred to TCU)

John Horrocks, 7-0

Grame Anstey, 6-11 (Australian)

We just haven't recruited the better players.

Edited by Cooley