Ted Nugent: It might have been best if South won Civil War

Several books written on this topic. Lots of speculation as to what would have happened had the South won the Civil War. One theory had Texas once again becoming a separate nation and the country re-uniting as one to fight the axis in WWII. So, there would have been three nations until the early 40's when the various nations would once more form "a more perfect union".

Nothing wrong with such historical "play"...I did not read what Nugent had to say...just pointing out that such speculation has even found it's way into recognized books and historical fiction on numerous occasions.

Shocking to see you qoute an MSNBC article. ;)

I think this quote from Teddy puts his comments in a more fair context than your title of this thread:

The Detroit-born rocker and outspoken conservative activist writes in a new op-ed for The Washington Times of his fundamental fear of what he calls "Fedzilla," or a government with a social safety net. Triggered by Chief Justice John Roberts voting to uphold President Obama's Affordable Care Act -- but calling the mandate to buy insurance a tax instead of a penalty -- Nugent says, "Because our legislative, judicial and executive branches of government hold the 10th Amendment in contempt, I’m beginning to wonder if it would have been best had the South won the Civil War. Our Founding Fathers’ concept of limited government is dead."

Check out the link to the original op-ed written by Teddy, which is in the above paragraph. I mean, if one was wanting to be fair, that is what one would have posted in the first place, not an ultra-liberal news network's slant on what Teddy wrote in the op-ed, but I digress. I think this particular sentence is dead on:

"The bottom line is that Chief Justice Roberts‘ traitor vote will ensure more monumental spending and wasted taxes and put almost 15 percent of the nation’s gross domestic product (GDP) under one of the world’s most bureaucratic, ineffective, incompetent and grossly expensive systems ever devised by man: our out-of- control federal government."

And if one reads the full op-ed by Teddy, one would realize that the one sentence in which he mentions the nation being better off with the South winning the civil war was hypebole and said to make a point. The op-ed is about out of control federal spending and the huge effect Judge Roberts decision will have on the future of America, but that is not what Greenbat or MSNBC want you to read because it doesn't benefit eithers' political position.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Alternate timelines are Historically Significant Fun.

Turtledove's certainly made a good living at it.

For those interested in a decent story about a different Civil War outcome, start with "How Few Remain" by Harry Turtledove. Concept is that McClellan never finds a copy of Lee's orders moving his army north in Sept 1862, thus the Battle of Antietam never happens. Instead Lee successfully invades central Pennsylvania and turns east toward Philadelphia. France and England see this and assume viability for the Confederacy. The also covet the CSA's agribusiness and recognize the CSA and open trade, sending enough naval forces to remove the USA's blockades of Southern ports. Since the CSA is trying for independence, not taking over the USA, Lee is able to eventually bring things to where Lincoln has no choice but to reach a peace treaty and formally recognize the CSA.

The next dozen or so books that follow unwind the next century in such a 4-nation North American continent. Texas remains in the CSA. Obviously, the USA and CSA fight again (and again ?). Who invents The Bomb ? And who uses it first ? What roles do Mexico and Canada play ?

It's a good story although there are a few ridiculous parts. Turtledove recreates some 20th century happenings in new locations ("bolshevik" revolution, "Third Reich", etc) Some "real" famous people also become famous in this setting, others do not.

Check it out, the first book is How Few Remain. If you like it keep going with "American Front".

This is different from "Guns of the South" by Turtledove, which is not part of this canon. Guns of the South is a stand-alone book about time travelers bringing AK-47's to Lee. It turns out they are from a near-future white supremacist faction.

• Upvote 1

Shocking to see you qoute an MSNBC article. ;)

I think this quote from Teddy puts his comments in a more fair context than your title of this thread:

The Detroit-born rocker and outspoken conservative activist writes in a new op-ed for The Washington Times of his fundamental fear of what he calls "Fedzilla," or a government with a social safety net. Triggered by Chief Justice John Roberts voting to uphold President Obama's Affordable Care Act -- but calling the mandate to buy insurance a tax instead of a penalty -- Nugent says, "Because our legislative, judicial and executive branches of government hold the 10th Amendment in contempt, I’m beginning to wonder if it would have been best had the South won the Civil War. Our Founding Fathers’ concept of limited government is dead."

Check out the link to the original op-ed written by Teddy, which is in the above paragraph. I mean, if one was wanting to be fair, that is what one would have posted in the first place, not an ultra-liberal news network's slant on what Teddy wrote in the op-ed, but I digress. I think this particular sentence is dead on:

"The bottom line is that Chief Justice Roberts‘ traitor vote will ensure more monumental spending and wasted taxes and put almost 15 percent of the nation’s gross domestic product (GDP) under one of the world’s most bureaucratic, ineffective, incompetent and grossly expensive systems ever devised by man: our out-of- control federal government."

And if one reads the full op-ed by Teddy, one would realize that the one sentence in which he mentions the nation being better off with the South winning the civil war was hypebole and said to make a point. The op-ed is about out of control federal spending and the huge effect Judge Roberts decision will have on the future of America, but that is not what Greenbat or MSNBC want you to read because it doesn't benefit eithers' political position.

Sorry that baston of Journalism truthfulness Fox New did not have a link on the story. :shocking:

Edited by GreenBat
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Sorry that baston of Journalism truthfulness Fox New did not have a link on the story. :shocking:

Point is, you could have just posted Teddy's op-ed piece, but you didn't. You posted a slanted MSNBC piece that focused on one statement and completely ignored the theme of the editorial.

Not surprised.

Have to be honest, was fully expecting everyone to say "who cares, Nugent is an idiot, plenty of them on both sides of politics" oh well.

Why do that when we can just attack the OP for not being politically neutral...though we all knw his political leanings, have no right to act shocked, and look even MORE ridiculous for pretending he's the only one around with a bias.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

--- Why some people who think actors, musicians, athletes, etc. are really smart amazes me. Some like Tom Cruise never even walked into a college even one day and are as dumb and ignorant as a goat. Granted being a college graduate doesn't automatically make a person intelligent but it sure increases the odds. -- As said above, some need to shut up and we might think they are more intelligent than we think they are.

--- As he said above, I often voted GOP in some of the years he mentioned above ..... but once they started claiming it was the party of Christianity.... I pretty much stopped... Mixing religion and government doesn't work for me..... apparently it doesn't work so well in the Middle East either. Besides Christian churches have so many different beliefs.... on alcohol, contraception, the way you dress(1880 dresses/hair styles), which day is #7, snake worship, caffeine use*, eating pork, and so many other things..... so which group do we want to be in charge? [ and yes I am Christian, and attend church regularly ]

---I don't think not voting is the answer.. I have voted for individual Green or Liberterian candidates at times...not because I wanted them to win .... but as a protest to the idiot that was running in the major party... that way they and others can see some don't support them.

*Mormons oppose use of coffee, tea, cokes, energy drinks, alcohol, etc.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

TFLF's whole awesome post, even if I don't jive with some of it.

Yeah, that sounds about right. Best post on politics on this board since it all mysteriously started around the 2008 election.

Also, Nugent is an idiot and at best, a troll. Once a great musician, now just a sad joke of a man who should give as much thought to what he says as what he's shooting at on his property at home.

Edited by meangreendork
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

--- Why some people who think actors, musicians, athletes, etc. are really smart amazes me. Some like Tom Cruise never even walked into a college even one day and are as dumb and ignorant as a goat. Granted being a college graduate doesn't automatically make a person intelligent but it sure increases the odds. -- As said above, some need to shut up and we might think they are more intelligent than we think they are.

--- As he said above, I often voted GOP in some of the years he mentioned above ..... but once they started claiming it was the party of Christianity.... I pretty much stopped... Mixing religion and government doesn't work for me..... apparently it doesn't work so well in the Middle East either. Besides Christian churches have so many

beliefs.... on alcohol, contraception, the way you dress(1880 dresses/hair styles), which day is #7, snake worship, caffeine use*, eating pork, and so many other things..... so which group do we want to be in charge? [ and yes I am Christian, and attend church regularly ]

---I don't think not voting is the answer.. I have voted for individual Green or Liberterian candidates at times...not because I wanted them to win .... but as a protest to the idiot that was running in the major party... that way they and others can see some don't support them.

*Mormons oppose use of coffee, tea, cokes, energy drinks, alcohol, etc.

Totally agree, George Clooney is a complete idiot.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1