2012-2013 Schedule

All I can say our OCC scheduling by Tony Benford can't be any worse of what JJ suggested in the past.

Very excited and hoping to spend the money by bringing:

More Texas Schools

Mid-majors

A couple big time programs.

We need to really push our selfs and prepare for a run in the tourney.

A top 25 ranking would be great but a sweet 16 run is even more important.

Just playing swac and south land teams won't achieve those goals

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Everyone on here should realize a sweet 16 run is the slightest of possibilities. I mean the very slightest.

Like less than 1 percent slight.

Everyone on here should realize a sweet 16 run is the slightest of possibilities. I mean the very slightest.

Like less than 1 percent slight.

naysayer....

Is this a sand-bagging bit of which I'm un-aware?

Not a bit. At best, we will be a 12 seed. Best case scenerio, we play another 12 in a play in game. Even odds of losing. Then would play a 5 seed. Then would play a 4 seed. Underdog in every game but the play in game.

Lets say we get a 13 seed. Well, one less game, but that would mean beating a 4 seed in the 1st round, followed by a 5 seed in the second round. Underdogs in both games.

The easiest way is the way WKU did it in 2008 (?). Win your first round game, have a much lower seed win the game of your next oppponenets, and then beat that seed to get into the sweet 16.

Could it happen? Yes. Will it? The odds are heavily against it. That is just the reality of the situation.

Sun Belt Historic NCAA seeds:

2012 - 16

2011 - 16

2010 - 15

2009 - 12

2008 - 10, 12

2007 - 15

2006 - 14

2005 - 13

2004 - 14

2003 - 14

2002 - 9

2001 - 14

2000 - 13

1999 - 14

1998 - 12

Out of all of these years, Sun Belt teams have won all of 3 games, with 2 coming in one year, the year that WKU made a sweet 16 (2008). WKU won one game the following year (2009). Other than that, zero zip zilch success in the tournament for the Belt. WKU even wasted the 9 seed in 2002, falling to an 8 seed in round 1.

Being in the Sun Belt doesn't help. Win the conference and the conference tournament, and you might get an 11 seed. You will still be the underdog in your opening round.

Make no mistake, I hope this team is more than what we all hope it can be and win 25 games, go to the sweet 16, and gain some national attention for our program.

But make no mistake. The odds on that happening are very long.

• Upvote 4

If we get an auto-bid, we won't be in a first round game. I believe that's an NCAA guideline in seeding the tournament... All the play-in teams for the 12 and 13 lines are the final 4 at-large teams. We might, assuming a very good year, get a 12 or 13 seed and face a 5. History says you've got about a 1 in 4 chance of winning that game.

If we somehow manage to put together the resume for an at-large bid (and in a year where the Belt will be playing 20 conference games... that could be VERY hard), then it'll probably also be a 12 or 13 seed... But likely in a first round game like UNT90 mentioned.

In any case, winning an NCAA tournament game is hard as hell. I'm desperate for the day it happens for our program. But being capable of doing it and actually seeing it happen are 2 very different things.

Man, I'm really being a downer today... Sorry, everybody. Here's a puppy basket to cheer everyone up:

puppy-basket.jpg

So if we win 24 games next year the consensus is that we would be a 15 or 16 seed? Rubbish.

Probably no better than a 12. That is the assumption. Of course, it depends on who we beat OOC and who our conference mates beat OOC.

Look, people have been posting on here like a sweet 16 is more than likely for this team. That couldn't be further from the truth. We don't know who will make grades, who will transfer, what injuries will happen during the season, etc...

The odds and history say a sweet 16 is a minute long shot, that is all.

EDIT: The best case scenerio is to make a deep run in the preseason NIT, thus gaining us early season attention and a possible ranking before conference play. The odds of this are low for entirely different reasons (new coach, new system, point guard with half year experience, and so on...). Even if we achieve this, we can't afford more than 2 or 3 losses in conference or else we will soon be forgotten by the national media.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3

Murray State was ranked in the Top 20 nearly the whole year. They got a 6 seed and lost in their second game (basically they lived up to their seed). UNT90 is correct - -getting to the Sweet 16 is hard as hell. If we could win a round in the Dance it'd be the biggest accomplishment for the Athletic Department in over 30 years.

• Upvote 4

So if we win 24 games next year the consensus is that we would be a 15 or 16 seed? Rubbish.

How many games you win means next to nothing. Who you beat, and who you lose to for that matter, means almost everything.

Edited by MeanMag

NT if all goes well, should have the best team in history. I don't think getting into the top 25 or getting a single digit seed is impossible. Based on NT history and new coaching staff changes those achievements seem remote but if everyone returns there may not be 25 better teams out there.

I am not sure whether JJ was a realist or had other objectives at the forefront, but he never seemed to play for rpi's or even conference championships. It was always about peaking at the right time and winning the conference tournament.

Fail or not, I hope Benford goes into the season with a different approach. Play a schedule that at least provides an opportunity to get a rpi below 50. Play every game like they mean something. Beating patsies in the Non Con, playing even ball in the Belt, and even winning the conference tournament should not be enough for next year's team if the player pieces all fall into place.

I think NT will continue to be a good basketball program but if we really want to have a remarkably breakthrough season this is the one to do it. 4 star talents don't happen to schools like NT so if we want to make it something more "often" of talent like that coming here then I think they have to take that step and dominate the league. They don't have to be in the top 25 during the season but they should at least be in the conversation. And should this team get into the tourney I think they really have to win a game or two for the continuing uptick of the program in my opinion.