A key point being missed in regards to UTSA

Harry

Put your personal feelings about UTSA aside. Certainly, they have not been in business very long and have facility issues which need to be addressed. It will be awhile before they field a competitive D-I program.

That being said - the attraction as I see it is San Antonio...it's a great destination city and very easy to get to from really anywhere in the country... they have tons of attractions and hotels. If you are the Alliance or Sun Belt, you love the attendance but even more you love the exposure that San Antonio could bring your conference. Also, it certainly doesn't hurt your negotiations with the TV networks. UTSA already has Virginia, Oklahoma State, Colorado State, Baylor, Rice, Houston, New Mexico, and Arizona State committing to games at Alamodome. That is attractive to TV networks. I know that my family loves to go there and I would not have a hard time convincing them to join me for a football weekend.

My personal view is they will come up short on the alliance this time around and find themselves in the belt which is still a big win for their program. The Alliance will be keeping a close eye on them though.

Agree. Let them do their time in the Belt/WAC before any offer.

I disagree with network attraction to those games with the BCS big boys. No one wants to watch the home team lose 70-0.

I have never turned off my TV set when North Texas was winning 70-0 but then again the last time that probably happened was against Abilene Christian 20+ years ago and that game wasn't on TV.

I have never turned off my TV set when North Texas was winning 70-0 but then again the last time that probably happened was against Abilene Christian 20+ years ago and that game wasn't on TV.

Hey, it's cool. I know you stayed all the way through the MTSU game last year, and that is close enough. ;-)

UTSA just needs to mature and I think CUSA/MWC will stay away from the stigma of taking in a FBS start up, IMO.

Too bad Benson can't get this lesson.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

A couple opinions:

1. I don't see why UTSA playing in the Alamodome is any better then when we used to play at Texas Stadium. There were good reasons why we stopped playing those games at Texas Stadium.

2. Although I don't consider San Antonio a great destination city, I will say that its greatest advantage is that it is drivable from Dallas.

• Upvote 2

San Antonio has supported utsa to the tune of 35,000 a game. Dallas didn't support us that way even when we played smuu- could of been great but smuu didn't bring any fans.

McCombs had all their utsa fb games televised on the longhorn ntwk. So really they are getting more pub than NT and putting more butts in the seats.Lynn Dickey is doing a great job with the assets here in town.

So my take is Harry is right, but I guess we don't need any more tv games!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

35,000 a game. How many would be there if they had to purchase tickets? How many will be there in 2 or 3 years when they are still struggling? That number from last year is terribly skewed and appears the result of UTSA hiring SMU's old attendance counter. They need to earn their stripes before moving up.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

People's anti-UTSA is totally off base. I would love to see UNT build an instate rivalry with them.

Why would we not want to be in a conference with a Texas team? It is asinine to think otherwise.

I hear West Texas A&M and SFA are available. Just think of the Texas love we could show them!!!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

People continue to mention UTEP as a team we should play every year. That is fine, however, it is unrealistic for a lot of our fans to go to. 637 miles from Denton. I am from EP. The Tep is better off playing teams in their region. LA is closer to them drive time then Dallas.

UTSA, RICE, SMU, Houston, TX State, are more reasonable for a yearly matching. That being said, I still would love for us to beat them down in addition to the aforementioned Universities.

• Upvote 1

A couple opinions:

1. I don't see why UTSA playing in the Alamodome is any better then when we used to play at Texas Stadium. There were good reasons why we stopped playing those games at Texas Stadium.

um....the Riverwalk makes the Alamodome better. Seriously, one of the dumbest moves they could make would be building an on campus stadium and giving up one of the best game day advantages/atmospheres around.

• Upvote 2

People continue to mention UTEP as a team we should play every year. That is fine, however, it is unrealistic for a lot of our fans to go to. 637 miles from Denton. I am from EP. The Tep is better off playing teams in their region. LA is closer to them drive time then Dallas.

UTSA, RICE, SMU, Houston, TX State, are more reasonable for a yearly matching. That being said, I still would love for us to beat them down in addition to the aforementioned Universities.

If people want to travel to games then they have two years to plan a trip to drive to El Paso. If you want to go bad enough you will always find a way. Or you can always take a 30-60 minute flight if you live somewhere within the region.

• Upvote 1

I don't know why yall can't just let both Texas St and UTSA wait their turn to grow in the Sun Belt? CUSA will still have schools from Texas in the conference when yall get in with Rice &/or UTEP

Because some either want a short, NICE trip to see the team play out of town or still view this program as they view it in the Southland days.

I understand wanting a nice road trip, but I would rather drive/fly an extra 400 miles for an upgrade in competition for our football program.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1