Wow Things Are Changing

Cannot believe all of the changes in the last year in the status of our program. It's been a really tough two weeks but trying to look at this like I would if I was say an OU fan or better yet OU T-shirt fan. I think if I was that guy, I'd wonder what the heck is going on in Denton, and think it's something really good. We have a great new stadium that got lots of positive buzz. And both our basketball coaches left. Not because they were fired, but because they went to Texas and LSU. While LSU isn't a basketball power, it is one of the biggest boys on the block in college athletics. These are two huge schools and they wanted NT people.

Plus, there are many rumors that we are moving up in conference.

This is the kind of attention that is never paid to NT, at least not in a long, long, time. It sux, but it's good. You want to be good, because other people then want your people. It sure beats being lousy and nobody cares.

It also makes it so other coaches can see, that we are not some place you go to have your career die. You can get a dream job. Hell we had two people land their's recently.

Now we have to hope RV and team can keep it up.

That random fan of OU or wherever cannot help but think better of us. That also applies to the 100K alums or whatever in the area that we here about that fluff off their university. This will make them take notice too. We just have too keep doing it.

While it's painful, this is the kind of stuff that gets the stink off the program that has been here for decades.

Back to wallowing in the pain.

+1, or howevermany. When universities are being called out as places that don't prepare people for work, we have a university that prepares people for living their dream.

• Upvote 2

Johnny was a good coach but not irreplaceable. He left this program better off than when he found it whimpering in the dumpster next to the Food Lion. So thank you JJ for all that you have done the next guy will take us on to our first NCAA Tournament win.

• Upvote 4

Living in Las Vegas I was devastated when OU took coach Kruger. I fell in love with Running Rebel basketball under Kruger and was sad when he moved to the Big 12. I am glad for Johnny and know he will do well.

It is not the end of the world. We have a setup and just like UNLV was loaded with talent they lured Coach Rice from BYU to lead the Rebels into the top 15 this year. The #11 ranking at one point this season was their highest since the championship year and Final Four runs. So it can be done. We have a lot of talent coming back and are on the cusp of moving to an elevated league. We need to shoot high and sell the promise that is UNT 2012. Our future is bright and I am excited that I will see the New Mean Green continue to soar.

Can we get the Butler Coach? The Witchita State Coach? Rick Majerus? Go to a basketball factory like Memphis, Kansas, UCONN, Arizona, Duke, Michigan State, Gonzaga and get a high powered assistant who wants to live in one of the most dynamic metro areas in the country. The goal is simple: bring UNT its first big dance win! You have first round pick to take you into next season - tell me this isn't a delicious opportunity for someone. Good luck Rick - go get us our next big team leader and outfit them in Mean Green!!!!!

GMG

• Upvote 2

Living in Las Vegas I was devastated when OU took coach Kruger. I fell in love with Running Rebel basketball under Kruger and was sad when he moved to the Big 12. I am glad for Johnny and know he will do well.

It is not the end of the world. We have a setup and just like UNLV was loaded with talent they lured Coach Rice from BYU to lead the Rebels into the top 15 this year. The #11 ranking at one point this season was their highest since the championship year and Final Four runs. So it can be done. We have a lot of talent coming back and are on the cusp of moving to an elevated league. We need to shoot high and sell the promise that is UNT 2012. Our future is bright and I am excited that I will see the New Mean Green continue to soar.

Can we get the Butler Coach? The Witchita State Coach? Rick Majerus? Go to a basketball factory like Memphis, Kansas, UCONN, Arizona, Duke, Michigan State, Gonzaga and get a high powered assistant who wants to live in one of the most dynamic metro areas in the country. The goal is simple: bring UNT its first big dance win! You have first round pick to take you into next season - tell me this isn't a delicious opportunity for someone. Good luck Rick - go get us our next big team leader and outfit them in Mean Green!!!!!

GMG

There is no way Brad Stevens is leaving Butler to come to UNT, making 1.2 at Butler and will only leave for a basketball powerhouse job, lets be honest... Gregg Marshall is making 900k at Witchita State and Rick Majerus was reportedly offered 2 mil to coach at smu and turned it down

There is no way Brad Stevens is leaving Butler to come to UNT, making 1.2 at Butler and will only leave for a basketball powerhouse job, lets be honest... Gregg Marshall is making 900k at Witchita State and Rick Majerus was reportedly offered 2 mil to coach at smu and turned it down

Dude, it's not a true head coaching search until someone mentions Stevens or.....well I am not gonna mention him becase it'd be cheating (he's in the CAA). Both get mentioned every freaking time. :lol:

So we're on our way to the big time if Butler has already been mentioned.

Dude, it's not a true head coaching search until someone mentions Stevens or.....well I am not gonna mention him becase it'd be cheating (he's in the CAA). Both get mentioned every freaking time. :lol:

So we're on our way to the big time if Butler has already been mentioned.

This is true, we are now in an official coaching search.... I still think the guys i listed on my other post have actually have a legitimate chance of coming to denton.... As Prof Theriot (the riot) says.... All roads lead to denton

3/4 guys are all from the east even though i think well hire someone from the south/midwest

btw i already mentioned the other person in another post...oppps

Edited by Dr. Seuss

This is true, we are now in an official coaching search.... I still think the guys i listed on my other post have actually have a legitimate chance of coming to denton.... As Prof Theriot (the riot) says.... All roads lead to denton

3/4 guys are all from the east even though i think well hire someone from the south/midwest

btw i already mentioned the other person in another post...oppps

Hehehe, yeah I saw that you mentioned him by name, but not as a target. :) More as a skillset of an assistant moving up. I guess it counts though. Hehe

• Upvote 1

Does anyone know what JJ's starting salary was and his ending salary. I know we have given him raises throughout his career so he is making a lot more now. Since we have that money already available, this next coaching search will be much better off from the beginning because we can go after higher profile people making a descent salary. No more assistant coaches, unless they are that special type that you just know is going to be a successful head coach someday.

• Upvote 1

Does anyone know what JJ's starting salary was and his ending salary. I know we have given him raises throughout his career so he is making a lot more now. Since we have that money already available, this next coaching search will be much better off from the beginning because we can go after higher profile people making a descent salary. No more assistant coaches, unless they are that special type that you just know is going to be a successful head coach someday.

You wann see a riot from our current players? Hire an assistant coach whose name isn't Shawn Forrest.

Edited by emmitt01

You wann see a riot from our current players? Hire an assistant coach whose name isn't Shawn Forrest.

Emmitt, while I understand your support for Forrest, please keep in mind – UNT did not fire their Coach, he left. If Forrest is one of the best candidates give him the edge and make the hire, but why not take the opportunity to see what is available? I would prefer to take the emotion out of having “star” players dictate who should coach. If they are willing to leave because they don’t get the coach they “think” they want then clearly they do not have any concern for what is best for North Texas; and if thats the case should they be the ones with the ultimate decision?

So the Trilli era made us so paranoid to never hire an assistant again?

Was Trilli already in our system as an assistant before we put him at HC? I think Shawn is worth giving consideration because he is already familiar with how JJ ran the program, and he spent years in the film room with JJ.

1334422573' post='637316']

Careful Emmitt, he could be another version of Trilli. Don't know if that is true or not. He could be a great coach, but we never know.

Today's bb recruiting is very different than back in the Trili days.

IMO in the past you had to be a good x's and o's coach to be successful because recruiting was not a science. Today's game is more about just getting talent on the floor.

I use to think coaching beats talent in sports , but I lean more towards talent beats coaching these days. I know many will probably disagree with me tho

That being said , i think RV would be too gun shy to take any more risk. Dodge and Stephens were both risks and both burned him pretty bad.

Emmitt, while I understand your support for Forrest, please keep in mind – UNT did not fire their Coach, he left. If Forrest is one of the best candidates give him the edge and make the hire, but why not take the opportunity to see what is available? I would prefer to take the emotion out of having “star” players dictate who should coach. If they are willing to leave because they don’t get the coach they “think” they want then clearly they do not have any concern for what is best for North Texas; and if thats the case should they be the ones with the ultimate decision?

You're missing the point entirely. The operative words are "assistant coach." Forrest is being told only people with HEAD coach experience are gonna be in the hunt. If we go out and hire an assistant coach (regardless of whose staff he comes from or what school he's at) then you'll see some serious bad will around here.

• Upvote 1

John Calipari was always known as just a great recruiter. I'm just sayin...

While I don't think he's one of the very best at in game coaching/adjustments -- his X's and O's are pretty underrated. His teams always play disciplined defense going back to when he was at UMass. Definitely not someone who just rolls the ball out on the floor IMHO.