Will UNT's New Baseball Stadium Look Similar To This

PlummMeanGreen

After all, it's the national past time....

I know this is a football board, but football season is over and we don't have a baseball forum section.......yet.

https://picasaweb.google.com/109777712292907946523/LuptonStadiumAndWilliamsReillyField?authkey=Gv1sRgCLmR87XWiK_4cQ&feat=flashalbum#5594373044849971698

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Lupton has some serious flaws. The grandstand is all metal and sounds like a county park when people walk up and down the stairs (although it does make for a noisy environment to rattle opposing pitchers). The general admission section (a popular feature these days) has no view of the field at all as it its blocked by the grandstand. I had ga tickets for Fullerton last year because it was otherwise sold out. I could hear that there was a game being played, but I couldn't see anything beyond the right fielder, and people got angry at me for trying to see, since it apparently blocked their view of the bullpen or something.

Lupton, was thrown together quickly and without thought to increase capacity so they could host in the post season.

Make the brick match that at Apogee and have something that looks like the Wing Zone over the first base to third base seating area.

And find enough women's sports to counter the 15-25 men's scholarships needed for baseball.

GO MEAN GREEN

Baseball is only 11.5 scholorships I believe and I'm pretty sure we are good to go on the Title 9 front already

• Upvote 1

Something like this, but with real grass would be nice. Am I asking too much?

That's a little ambitious for a startup program that struggles to get 20,000 in football and 5,000 in basketball. 1,500 seatbacks expandable later on, grass hill for kids and general admission (not blocked like Lupton), brick facade. I like the wing idea for the seating. You need 3,000 assignable seats to host in the post season, but building that many to start might be a little much.

Other things that are strong considerations for both the NCAA and high school recruits are the quality of the playing surface, the amenities in the dugouts and clubhouse, the scoreboard, the setup for media coverage (there is a LOT of terrible video streaming in college baseball because they didn't build their stadiums for that).

I suppose that suites will be part of the package too, right? While I certainly appreciate the club level on cold, rainy game days in football, that's not nearly such a consideration for me in baseball.

Like I've said many times on here before, the Sunbelt is a big up and coming conference in baseball, currently 7th, and knocking on the door of becoming an addition to the current big 6. Should UNT make the jump to Big Country (I think that's the name of the new monster alliance), it would automatically be in a major baseball conference. Either way, it is really reasonable to build a program, in Texas, in the sun belt, that goes to the post season and wins in a short period of time.

Definitely leave the outfield for students. This has been popular at the softball games. a hill in left field would be cool for them to sit on. I like the covered idea too. Baseball has alot of day games so the comfort of the shade would be nice for the fair weather folk. The mean green village is going to be sweet after track moves over, baseball is started, football has its indoor, and the new dorm next to victory is completed.

Edited by Green2012

I would of thought that since we were able to get the naming rights for the football stadium before the season even started, we would be able to start getting the ball rolling on baseball.

As a student, it gets very boring after basketball season ends.

Hell, maybe baseball would be the answer to get Denton off their arse and start coming to UNT athletics?

Edited by LakeTravis

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone want to guess how long it will take some folks to start complaining about the new baseball stadium once the plans are made public? I'm going to start the guessing at a nanosecond!

Traffic, parking, site, construction firm, why it isn't named as yet, who will get first pick at season ticket locations and how the seat assignments will be handled, the color scheme, the seating set up (bleachers or individual seats), grass or turf and on and on and on.....for me, I'll just realize that a dream for a lot of folks is coming to reality and be more than happy to see the thing built.

Just getting on record early about the fun that we will all have here on GMG.Com regarding the new baseball program and stadium when all the official announcements are made...hopefully, SOON!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I wonder if HKS gets to design the stadium? They did the Corpus Chrisit Hooks park and did an excellent job...

I still want them to incorporate a different part of the eagle into the baseball park. Maybe a Eagle head press box or wings down the grandstands or claws or something. Kinda get it as a "Where's Waldo" hunt in the athletic village..

Maybe make it an upsidedown eagle with the the wings going out at 45 degree angles...

Unless some big donor comes up with a boatload of money, like, $10 mil or so, I think UNT will build a nice, serviceable stadium that will get us started in baseball. Nothing on the cheap like the bleachers we added at Fouts. I wonder if there are already BB stadium drawings in the works? Maybe when the official announcement is made the AD will began a campaign for donations.

Harry, we need a "UNT Baseball" section added to GMG.com.

Edited by DeepGreen