Will UNT's New Baseball Stadium Look Similar To This

PlummMeanGreen

I mentioned specifically in previous post the need for a" Don January" golf practice facility, as a well as a track and field venue. Sports is in fact big business,and my personal opinion is that building a baseball stadium and committing to funding its continued operation is not a good business decision and a waste of resourses. Athletics at North Texas will always run in the red,and I see no reason to add to it. But again,this is just my personal opinion.

Golf facility is past the planning stages and into the construction phase pretty much. It is being built in conjunction with the Trophy Golf Club. The Trophy Club will become UNT's home course. A practice facility is being added for the team who will have "first dibs" on times and use. This a another great partnership for UNT and a wonderful expansion of UNT's athletic facilities under our current AD's watch. So, other "Olympic sports" are not being shortchanged while UNT adds baseball. The track facility is in the planning stages and will get proper attention.

Wardly...you brought back some very bad memories when you mentioned the men's soccer team. My wife and I were in the meeting with the AD and players and parents when the men's soccer program was "killed". Talk about telling a ton of untruths (is that a nice way of saying lied?)...that meeting was one big lie by our ten AD from start to finish regarding the program. A black day for me in the history of UNT athletics. The ONLY good thing that resulted was the creation of our very successful women's soccer program (as you also noted). UNT men's soccer was GREATNESS...several trips to the NCAA's...beat SMU on their home pitch in their own tournament...really good teams...really rich history!

• Upvote 1

Golf facility is past the planning stages and into the construction phase pretty much. It is being built in conjunction with the Trophy Golf Club. The Trophy Club will become UNT's home course. A practice facility is being added for the team who will have "first dibs" on times and use. This a another great partnership for UNT and a wonderful expansion of UNT's athletic facilities under our current AD's watch. So, other "Olympic sports" are not being shortchanged while UNT adds baseball. The track facility is in the planning stages and will get proper attention.

Wardly...you brought back some very bad memories when you mentioned the men's soccer team. My wife and I were in the meeting with the AD and players and parents when the men's soccer program was "killed". Talk about telling a ton of untruths (is that a nice way of saying lied?)...that meeting was one big lie by our ten AD from start to finish regarding the program. A black day for me in the history of UNT athletics. The ONLY good thing that resulted was the creation of our very successful women's soccer program (as you also noted). UNT men's soccer was GREATNESS...several trips to the NCAA's...beat SMU on their home pitch in their own tournament...really good teams...really rich history!

Thanks for update on golf and track&field. I was out of the loop on the status of both.Sorry about the bad memories about out men's soccer program,and not to take away from the womens, but the guys were great!

I would assume if baseball is privately funded (some of those in the loop are saying the entire thing will be funded with private money) then that should certainly allow for the AD to continue to focus on building out the remaining portions of their master plan, which also includes golf practice facility and an indoor facility I believe.

Actually NT was a collegian power in the beginning of soccer at NT. It was basically equivalent to a club team now, that was so successful that they did make it a varsity sport. As popularity grew other schools such as SMU started giving scholarships for soccer players and fairly quickly become better than NT. NT was competitive but was far from a power when the sport was axed.

I am in the middle of the baseball question. Baseball at a lot of places has grown to a strong third among sponsored sports. Nothing really makes money at the college level but a few high end programs, but baseball programs can be close to break even at NT. Assuming that the stadium is primary built with donations then I see no big reason not to start a team.

Other facilities such as a track complex, indoor practice facility and center court for the tennis complex should not be delayed by the initiation of a baseball program.

• Upvote 1

UNT also provided men's soccer scholarships, and it was far more than a club sport when it was axed. Just the year prior UNT beat SMU on its home pitch and won SMU's own tournament. When axed it was the winningest men's program at UNT. Several players went on to coach at the college/university level and the club level. In fact, one of the coaches of the last team played professionally indoor soccer and now coaches with one of the nation's premier local clubs. One of the players on that last team also helped coach our son's club team. That last team had a bunch of really good guys, and quality players. They were really fun to watch play.

UNT also provided men's soccer scholarships, and it was far more than a club sport when it was axed. Just the year prior UNT beat SMU on its home pitch and won SMU's own tournament. When axed it was the winningest men's program at UNT. Several players went on to coach at the college/university level and the club level. In fact, one of the coaches of the last team played professionally indoor soccer and now coaches with one of the nation's premier local clubs. One of the players on that last team also helped coach our son's club team. That last team had a bunch of really good guys, and quality players. They were really fun to watch play.

Either I can not write clearly or you do not take a lot of time reading. My comment again, NT was a power at the beginning of the sport at NT. It was common to have double figure wins over opponents at that time, but the team was basically a club sport. Sponsored by NT, but little financial backing or ships. After a lot of success it became a varsity sport (gave scholarships) in the mid seventies. At the same time that SMU and others did the same thing. As far as beating SMU, maybe but it doesn't show up in their records. They claim to be 18-4-1 against NT, including a 11-0-1 record in the last decade of NT playing soccer. I do think NT was slightly better than that, but SMU became and still is a national power in the sport. My guess is that NT spend a fraction of the money on the program as SMU and could never really compete.

My point is that at the time NT cancelled their men soccer program (after the 1993 season) that NT was far from the soccer power that many seem to remember. I think the hatchet job on men's sports to comply with Tittle 9 was wrong and a disaster for men's Olympic sports at NT and many other places. Men's soccer did have a few years were they were ranked in the top twenty in the country and in fact top 10, however I don't remember them ever winning a NCAA tournament game. The appeal of soccer is nowhere close to baseball, and frankly I don't see NT ever restarted the sport.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...