Mixed drink of choice

I'll usually default to one of two drinks:

Shiner

Jack and Coke

But always like to try new combinations. I just bought some jiggers and a shaker and would love to hear from you: what are your favorite non-beer drinks? Would you be willing to share a recipe? I'll dig something up of my own and post as the weekend unfolds.

Cheers,

gm

I like a shot of jager dropped into a glass of root beer. A few bars on Fry call it a morrison, but I've had bartenders look at me like they've got no idea what it is. It is super tasty though.

As for beer, I'll drink anything, but really enjoy Shiner Blonde.

Edited by Mean Green Matt
  • Upvote 1

I usually prefer to drink beer, but here are some good cocktails. The names are changed to protect the innocentwhat I like to call them.

Mean Green Kool Aid

One part Midori

One part coconut rum

1.5-2 parts pineapple juice

Dirty Southern Girl

1.5 ounces of Southern Comfort poured into a rocks glass filled with ice, add grapefruit juice to fill.

Dirty Princess

Same as Dirty Southern Girl but substitute Crown Royal. It's like drinking summer in a glass.

Spiked Eggnog

A finger or two of Captain Morgan in a rocks glass.

A dash of ground cloves

A dash of ground cinnamon

Add eggnog to fill, stir and enjoy.

Edited by Army of Dad

I'm a whiskey man...almost exclusively ryes and bourbons with a bit of ice... occasionally into Irish or Scotch whiskeys, though that tends to be when American isn't an option. I never drink Canadian whiskey (i.e. Crown). Its sh*t. When I need a whiskey break, I've some stand by brands for the other liquors (Hendricks Gin, Tito's Vodka, Sailor Jerry Rum).

When I mix, my default is a bourbon (or Jack Daniels) and ginger ale.

When entertaining, I like to experiment with muddled fruits and spices...a bit of an amateur mixologist...recently for a friend's birthday I muddled fresh mint, pomegranate and brown sugar with Hendrick's gin to rave reviews.

I like medium to full bodied reds...Malbec, Temprenillo, Syrah, Pinot...and crisp whites...Sauv Blanc, Viognair.

I tend to drink beer more in the summer...I find most winter ales a bit to heavy, and here in the northeast whiskey makes a lot more sense in the winter. Brooklyn Summer Ale is my all-time favorite beer...Brooklyn Lager is my year-round default. I miss Shiner, though I've found a few places in the city that sell it.

I like to drink.

• Upvote 1

Being that the Dude is my leader, I'm pretty partial to White Russians.

2 parts milk

1 part Kahlua

1 part vodka

You can sub milk for cream and Kahlua for coffee liquor, but the above is how I first learned to make them so its what I got use to. Others also prefer more alcohol and less milk.

• Upvote 2

I am with 1855. But also like Wild Turkey (101 of course) and a little frozen water.

Worked at a bar in the early 80's and we made a shot that we called the Turkey Snowshoe. Equal parts Wild Turkey and Rumplemintz chilled and poured. Average proof, 100.5. Do not do this if you have not been training.

1855, you are in H town no? We should get together and knock back some MM sometime.

• Upvote 1

I am with 1855. But also like Wild Turkey (101 of course) and a little frozen water.

Worked at a bar in the early 80's and we made a shot that we called the Turkey Snowshoe. Equal parts Wild Turkey and Rumplemintz chilled and poured. Average proof, 100.5. Do not do this if you have not been training.

1855, you are in H town no? We should get together and knock back some MM sometime.

Yes indeed! Sounds good to me, good sir.

Have you been to Downing Street in Houston? It's a nice whiskey/scotch/cigar spot.

And I'm really intrigued and terrified of the Wild Turkey/Rumpleminz concoction. I'm fairly certain Fry Street ruined that peppermint horror for me some time ago.

Whenever possible I try to get a little history lesson into a thread. I read this a long time ago, but it was confirmed for me when I watched that excellent Ken Burns series "Prohibition" last fall. Mixed drinks (cocktails) were born out of necessity during the prohibition era. Because all the homemade whiskey and gin of the prohibition era was too nasty to drink.....even by hard-core drinkers. So they started mixing the nasty stuff with fruit juices and sugary concoctions to make it palatable.

Having said all that, my favorite mixed drink is a whiskey sour.

Last year I went about trying the various brands of whiskey/bourbons to see if I could acquire a taste for any of them straight-up (I hadn't before). Of the brands that I tried (and there were several) I found Jameson to be the best sipping whiskey, followed by Makers, Jack Daniels black label, and Bullett Bourbon. I found that Wild Turkey 101 was one of those Whiskeys that you saw people in the movies gasping for breath after taking one drink. :rolleyes:

For Beer, most of the Samuel Adams brews are great. BUT you can't beat the out-of-this-world taste of this great brew......

https://www.google.com/search?q=Roswell+Alien+Amber+Ale&start=10&hl=en&sa=N&gl=us&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ei=aqERT_3ZE8Pq2QWdz6WECg&ved=0CCcQsAQ4Cg&biw=1280&bih=709

Whenever possible I try to get a little history lesson into a thread. I read this a long time ago, but it was confirmed for me when I watched that excellent Ken Burns series "Prohibition" last fall. Mixed drinks (cocktails) were born out of necessity during the prohibition era. Because all the homemade whiskey and gin of the prohibition era was too nasty to drink.....even by hard-core drinkers. So they started mixing the nasty stuff with fruit juices and sugary concoctions to make it palatable.

Having said all that, my favorite mixed drink is a whiskey sour.

Last year I went about trying the various brands of whiskey/bourbons to see if I could acquire a taste for any of them straight-up (I hadn't before). Of the brands that I tried (and there were several) I found Jameson to be the best sipping whiskey, followed by Makers, Jack Daniels black label, and Bullett Bourbon. I found that Wild Turkey 101 was one of those Whiskeys that you saw people in the movies gasping for breath after taking one drink. :rolleyes:

For Beer, most of the Samuel Adams brews are great. BUT you can't beat the out-of-this-world taste of this great brew......

https://www.google.com/search?q=Roswell+Alien+Amber+Ale&start=10&hl=en&sa=N&gl=us&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ei=aqERT_3ZE8Pq2QWdz6WECg&ved=0CCcQsAQ4Cg&biw=1280&bih=709

Some whiskey suggestions...Basil Hayden's bourbon, Willett bourbon and Bulleit Rye.

Yes indeed! Sounds good to me, good sir.

Have you been to Downing Street in Houston? It's a nice whiskey/scotch/cigar spot.

And I'm really intrigued and terrified of the Wild Turkey/Rumpleminz concoction. I'm fairly certain Fry Street ruined that peppermint horror for me some time ago.

Cool. Going through a short drying out spell but will be in touch when I get my hall pass. Have not made ot to Downing Street yet so we will have to introduce me.