Arkansas Little Rock (12/29/11)

CMJ

Our % certainly was not acceptable during OOC, even if it has gone downhill since then.

I could be wrong, but I believe our FT percentage was around 75% coming into this game, which would be pretty decent nationally.

And Chris Jones was 83% coming into tonight...where he went 2-7.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

It is just me or does tony go for the big play every time? (dunk, block, steal) It seems to get him into foul trouble. Someone needs to sit him down and tell him sometimes its better to let them get the basket then come in hard and foul.

you mean like the Head Coach maybe

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

How in the world do we let 21 seconds run off the clock before we foul!?!?!?!? Someone made a huge mistake right there... the same mistake that cost us the tourney last year... Lots of mistakes tonight and JJ needs to take some of the blame. He is a great coach but our lineups seemed scrambled our defense was awful and even when we ran the press why was tony playing underneath the basket with 4 fouls. It was a failure waiting to happen and he had to let an easy basket go. Shooting is still awful but honestly we do not run an offense and clog our own lanes and force ourselves to just swing it around the perimeter!!! We hardly ran an offense tonight and it showed.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

How in the world do we let 21 seconds run off the clock before we foul!?!?!?!? Someone made a huge mistake right there... the same mistake that cost us the tourney last year... Lots of mistakes tonight and JJ needs to take some of the blame. He is a great coach but our lineups seemed scrambled our defense was awful and even when we ran the press why was tony playing underneath the basket with 4 fouls. It was a failure waiting to happen and he had to let an easy basket go. Shooting is still awful but honestly we do not run an offense and clog our own lanes and force ourselves to just swing it around the perimeter!!! We hardly ran an offense tonight and it showed.

Take these comments with a grain of salt... he still thinks that the 2-3 zone strength is stopping the 3

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Right now this team goes as CJ goes, and he had a tough night tonight.

Rough from the line but he did had 8 rebounds and 9 assists. I like that he filled up the stat line. Mitchel playing 13 minutes and Hogans playing 16 was a bit impact down low on a team that has 3 6'10" players. We still should have dominated this game from the start. Its time for someone to light a fire under these young men!

• Upvote 3

We got outcoached , pretty simple. We had far superior talent on the floor tonight , no question. UALR played almost the entire game w/ 2 freshman on the court at all times so don't give me the young team excuse. In fact , the Trojans played mostly 2 frosh & 2 soph over the last 5 minutes. We didn't go inside when the only person down low was Courtney Jackson. Jackson is a 3 playing out of position who is coming off a season ending knee injury from a year ago. The 2 tall white kids are tall , but not what I would call post defenders. The few times we did go down low we had success. Marlon Louzeiro is really the inside force and he only played a few minutes ( which really surprised me seeing how well he played in last year's tourny) . I was really impressed w/ Michael Javes. Get to know that name , he will be a all conference at least twice in his career.

Why do we seem to only look for the OUTSIDE shot ? It's really bothersome. It works when you have guys like White,TT & D Mo , but it's not going to work with this group. Alot of standing around and confusion it seems. Hopefully that goes away the more this team plays

Why do we not play with any urgency until the last few minutes of every game ?? We go to a press , gain the lead and then call it off ? It's like going to a prevent D in football. I think they scored every time down the floor after we stopped pressing. We have enough talent to run anyone out on the floor. We should start pressing the entire game. Seriously. It would help our 3 point D ( because every team seems to get a basket from beyond the arc when they want one ) It would keep T Mitch out of foul trouble and it would wear down the other team. There is not 1 team in the Belt that can match our talent 1 to 10 . 1 to 5 , yes , but 1 to 10 I don't think so.

I'm done venting , thanks for listening

Edited by NT03
  • Upvote 6

It is just me or does tony go for the big play every time? (dunk, block, steal) It seems to get him into foul trouble. Someone needs to sit him down and tell him sometimes its better to let them get the basket then come in hard and foul.

i believe the foul trouble is because he is not a center and mentally collapses when trying to guard one at the college level. he will play the 3 at the next level and he needs to be playing it at this one now. his dribbling skills are light years beyond J.W.'s and I would love to see him get a few more touches on offense. This would give us a threat similar to Tristan with someone that isnt afraid to take it to the basket and get the other team in foul trouble.

This could easily be done while giving J.W. the same amount of minutes since he could sub either Tony or Alzee. The only playing time change I can foresee with this type of adjustment is less Walton and more Zo. Of course, if Ked is going to miss time none of this matters.

• Upvote 2

We got outcoached , pretty simple. We had far superior talent on the floor tonight , no question. UALR played almost the entire game w/ 2 freshman on the court at all times so don't give me the young team excuse. In fact , the Trojans played mostly 2 frosh & 2 soph over the last 5 minutes. We didn't go inside when the only person down low was Courtney Jackson. Jackson is a 3 playing out of position who is coming off a season ending knee injury from a year ago. The 2 tall white kids are tall , but not what I would call post defenders. The few times we did go down low we had success. Marlon Louzeiro is really the inside force and he only played a few minutes ( which really surprised me seeing how well he played in last year's tourny) . I was really impressed w/ Michael Javes. Get to know that name , he will be a all conference at least twice in his career.

Why do we seem to only look for the OUTSIDE shot ? It's really bothersome. It works when you have guys like White,TT & D Mo , but it's not going to work with this group. Alot of standing around and confusion it seems. Hopefully that goes away the more this team plays

Why do we not play with any urgency until the last few minutes of every game ?? We go to a press , gain the lead and then call it off ? It's like going to a prevent D in football. I think they scored every time down the floor after we stopped pressing. We have enough talent to run anyone out on the floor. We should start pressing the entire game. Seriously. It would help our 3 point D ( because every team seems to get a basket from beyond the arc when they want one ) It would keep T Mitch out of foul trouble and it would wear down the other team. There is not 1 team in the Belt that can match our talent 1 to 10 . 1 to 5 , yes , but 1 to 10 I don't think so.

Thank you very much - you are right on - Out Coached and Out Played

• Upvote 3

THIS! We clog the lane and shut our selves out. EVen with a guy like Niko or Mitchel goes up to the elbow the other post player is still clogging the damn lane. We need to set screens on and off the ball and move more. Clear some space so a guy like J.W. can try to take it in without running into Franklin or Hogans.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

What a nightmare. How this team could lose at home to a squad that untalented is beyond me.

Anyone who thinks UALR is untalented is smoking crack or completely unaware of who they have on their team.

This loss sucks, and we should have taken this game. But calling UALR untalented is stupid.

Sounds pretty dead on to me! Thanks for typing it!