Louisiana State (12/22/11)

CMJ

A year ago to the day, arguably our biggest win came in Baton Rouge. This year the Tigers are playing much better, and we are way younger.

We are still finding each other, Mitchell hasn't even practiced more than a couple of times yet for crying out loud. Being at home should help a lot but this is probably our 2nd toughest game of the season (MSU being #1).

Hopefully we'll bring it.

GMG

I sure hope UNT gets its legs and blows LSU out of the Super Pit Thursday. I'll definitely be there to see the action. But, this is a young team trying to find its way. LSU is also somewhat young, but seem to be playing at a bit higher level than the Mean green at the moment. T Mitch has missed some wide open shots and seems to be waiting for the lob pass which hasn't come very often as yet. CJ is doing a good job and Williams and Franklin seem to be gearing it up. BUT, it will still take time. Some of the passes we are seeing should never have been made, some of the shot selections are just crazy and they team has yet to find a set rotation.

So, I am hoping that the Mean Green Nation is not expecting too much early on from this group. This is a very special group of players, indeed, and they will definitely achieve some great things together, but it is early...very early...and these guys are really still young and adjusting to the college game. LSU is not Sam Houston State, Jackson State or Grambling and should prove to be a real test for this young squad. Instead of looking for the "highlight reel" play each and every time down the floor they will need to play fundamentally sound basketball on offense...and a team offense...while still working hard on the defensive end. I have been more impressed with the defensive efforts so far than I have the offensive firepower. The offense will come and the defense will get even better. These guys knew they would eventually blow away Grambling...which they certainly did...LSU, well, that's another matter.

Let's get a great turnout Thursday night. This is an exciting team and one everyone can be very proud of and super glad they are wearing the green of the Mean Green. The crowds have been pretty decent so far given that the students are out, but they will need all the support we can give them against LSU Thursday...I can assure you that there will be plenty of gold and purple in the Super Pit Thursday.

Can UNT win this game...absolutely...will UNT win this game...perhaps....either way, it should be a great game to watch and should help our young team "grow-up" and prepare for the conference schedule. I can't wait for Thursday night at the Super Pit. It's great fun this year watching these young men play for UNT. It's going to be something special indeed...can you imagine what this team will be like in the months and years to come as they mature as college players and get a better feel for their teammates? WOW...just WOW!

See you at the Super Pit on Thursday...wear green, be loud and be proud. Let's show our visitors from LSU that UNT is indeed, a team to be reckoned with!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

LSU is a big team. Bigger than us. Maybe a starting lineup of CJ, Alzee, TM, Ked, and Zo is in order for this one?

Excited for the game, but don't be suprised if we struggle.

why would you place Alzee over Jordan? Especially if you are looking for height. I believe that should be our starting lineup every night! 3 freshmen 2 seniors and a very solid crew.

• Upvote 1

why would you place Alzee over Jordan? Especially if you are looking for height. I believe that should be our starting lineup every night! 3 freshmen 2 seniors and a very solid crew.

Jordan would be fine there, also. Alzee, Jordan are pretty interchangable at this point.

Jordan would be fine there, also. Alzee, Jordan are pretty interchangable at this point.

I still like Jordan's athleticism, but both botched dunks last night...

I do love the intensity that Mitchel brought to this team! Everyone is flying out of the building! It seems he is either jogging up and down the court acting like he does not care, or jumping up and down after he or someone else slams down the ball.

• Upvote 2

I still like Jordan's athleticism, but both botched dunks last night...

I do love the intensity that Mitchel brought to this team! Everyone is flying out of the building! It seems he is either jogging up and down the court acting like he does not care, or jumping up and down after he or someone else slams down the ball.

I worry about Jordan guarding the other team's 2 guard. he may get out quicked (or transfered, if Big Brother is watching) by the other 2 on drives to the bucket. Alzee is big at the 2 and an excellent, proven college defender.

What I want to see:

1) Score > 60. LSU comes into this game on the heels of four straight wins not allowing opponent to score more than 60. I think we do that when...

2) we have 3 players besides Tony step up with solid, solid contributions; i.e. 8 - 12 points and 3 - 6 rebounds/assists

3) Do what we do on the boards. LSU will be our biggest test to date regarding size, and we cannot let them dictate things on the glass

4) I don't ever want to see Tony or CJ in foul trouble. I know CJ isn't really in danger. Tony fouled out against Grambling State. Hopefully that is an exception, and not the start of a trend.

Does anyone know what kind of defense LSU primarily runs?

Is our bench/rotation > their's? I like to think so. We are long and athletic and should try to wear them out in transition.

Who is your pick to click? I don't know if tonight is the night, but I want Trey Norris to have a break out game.

Edited by greenminer

FYI, ESPN's SEC Power Rankings.

4. LSU: The Tigers clearly aren't the fourth-most talented team in the league, but they climb up the rankings on the back of a four-game win streak heading into Monday's home game against Marquette. LSU has been stingy on defense, holding each of its past four opponents to fewer than 60 points.

LSU is a big team. Bigger than us. Maybe a starting lineup of CJ, Alzee, TM, Ked, and Zo is in order for this one?

Excited for the game, but don't be suprised if we struggle.

To me the beat think about having Tony is that we no longer have to have Ked and Zo on the floor together.