Just food for thought

emmitt01

California, that would be #18 California, just lost 92-53 to Missouri.

Should Cal fire their coach? Should they lament how overrated they must have been? Or, and bear with me, should they realize that occassionally the snowball rolls downhill on you and you take a big loss?

I concede that we have a LONG way to go to get where we're capable of being...but I think the ride will have far more smooth parts than bumpy ones when all is said and done.

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

Should Cal fire their coach? Should they lament how overrated they must have been? Or, and bear with me, should they realize that occassionally the snowball rolls downhill on you and you take a big loss?

I concede that we have a LONG way to go to get where we're capable of being...but I think the ride will have far more smooth parts than bumpy ones when all is said and done.

Yep. I mean there's a difference between getting annihilated like us and just getting beat down, but Connecticut got basically blown out by St. John's by around 20 last season.

Around 6 weeks later they won the National Title.

Things that might work - back to the basics:

"When losing, the best way to catch up, is to attack the paint,

and take those 'Playoff Fouls'."

"I used to be a boys (aged 8 - 11) basketball team assistant

coach."

"When up against a superior team, I would only have them

shoot 'Pull-Up Jumpers' from the free throw line."

"The opposing defense collapses on the shooter, 'Back Door'

on them EVERYTIME."

"DEFENSE: Half Court Press; Box - and - 1."

"REBOUNDS: Two would have to 'Box Out' their tallest and

strongest rebounder, instead of one."

"BALL HANDLING: Pass around the 'Four Corners'."

"GAME FILM: Only helps for practice. Please, check out the

1996 N.C.A.A. Mens Basketball Post Season Tournament

First Round game of, U.C.L.A. versus PRINCETON."

"When my boys basketball Summer League team went up

against the Full Court Press, they ran 'THE WEAVE'."

This thread should be brought back out around Sunday late afternoon. Mississippi State could put this sort of beating on us as well. It's important to remember this season is VERY young, our team is even YOUNGER, and the campaign has not descended into a dumpster fire yet.

Should Cal fire their coach?

Yes. It is unbelievable Jones still has a job after two losses already!

In all seriousness. You can't discount how much talent this YOUNG team has. It will be rough at first but I honestly believe come SunBelt play this team will find its groove and once we get Mitchell will do quite well in the tournament.

Main goal, in my opinion, is getting to the tournament. I believe this team can do that. Yeah, a loss like this sucks, but it's not the end of the world.

In all seriousness. You can't discount how much talent this YOUNG team has. It will be rough at first but I honestly believe come SunBelt play this team will find its groove and once we get Mitchell will do quite well in the tournament.

Main goal, in my opinion, is getting to the tournament. I believe this team can do that. Yeah, a loss like this sucks, but it's not the end of the world.

I used to believe that too. I just don't see it happening, we can't score 18 in the 1st half against f-ing UTA and realistically think we have any shot. This doesn't bode well for us at all. None of this will stop me from going to games (though I don't think I will be hitting any more away games) and cheering my loudest, but I just can't see this team doing something that last year's team wasn't able to do.

• Upvote 1

I agree with the bold above with just one little thing. I agree they are young, they are athletic, and they are big. Problem is, they can't shoot which I heard is kinda important is basketball. Sure would have been nice if the NCAA had cleared Patton to play this year.

I agree with the bold above with just one little thing. I agree they are young, they are athletic, and they are big. Problem is, they can't shoot which I heard is kinda important is basketball. Sure would have been nice if the NCAA had cleared Patton to play this year.

Uh, he is academically ineligible, other than the NCAA insisting players do at least some school work they had nothing to do with him not being on the court.

Yeah, that really bummed me when we lost Patton. My main concern this year was who's going to be putting the ball in the hole with regularity, and I had kind of penciled Patton in as the go to guy. At least until mid-December, and now it's starting to look like we're REALLY going to be asking a lot this year from Mr.' Mid-December.

Uh, he is academically ineligible, other than the NCAA insisting players do at least some school work they had nothing to do with him not being on the court.

I was unaware of this. I thought he was academically eligible but the snafu was the transfer from Grambling due to the ban on postseason due to APR issues.

UTA is a far cry from #21 Missouri.

I was unaware of this. I thought he was academically eligible but the snafu was the transfer from Grambling due to the ban on postseason due to APR issues.

Per Brett

The Mean Green also filed an appeal for Justin Patton that became moot when the school found out he would be academically ineligible in his first season at UNT after transferring from Grambling.

And we're no #18 either. I think his point is that those were two teams that were similar in talent like UTA and us. Also, it shows that these losses happen to teams in the top 20 as well.

ANYTIME we lose to a UTA (otherwise known for its UNBELIEVEABLY TAINTED ATHLETICS), it is time to panic. I was actually going to Austin on Tues. to see us play UT. Thank goodness yesterday was my 65th birthday and I had dinner with my wife rather than attend or hear this atrocity. This kind of confirms just like the TT game and even more so that this team can not shoot, can't get a long rebound, and is infatuated with shots beyond the arc that they hit 1 of 18 against TT. I have season tickets but I wish they were to Karen Aston's womens team now. At least they have some pride and scrap to win. The men's team is playing sand lot BB and is an embarrasment when it loses to a crappy metro team like UTA. This was almost as bad as the Rice FB game in Houston three years ago for the image of NT's athletic program. I hope Tony Mitchell is as advertised as someone needs to pull this bunch of shot happy playground players into a team!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

ANYTIME we lose to a UTA (otherwise known for its UNBELIEVEABLY TAINTED ATHLETICS), it is time to panic. I was actually going to Austin on Tues. to see us play UT. Thank goodness yesterday was my 65th birthday and I had dinner with my wife rather than attend or hear this atrocity. This kind of confirms just like the TT game and even more so that this team can not shoot, can't get a long rebound, and is infatuated with shots beyond the arc that they hit 1 of 18 against TT. I have season tickets but I wish they were to Karen Aston's womens team now. At least they have some pride and scrap to win. The men's team is playing sand lot BB and is an embarrasment when it loses to a crappy metro team like UTA. This was almost as bad as the Rice FB game in Houston three years ago for the image of NT's athletic program. I hope Tony Mitchell is as advertised as someone needs to pull this bunch of shot happy playground players into a team!!!!!!!!

In the last 6 years we are 2-4 against UTA, it's far from time to panic. I'm not saying we'll win 20 this year, but step off the ledge.

06'...lost to them in game 3 and went on to win the belt.

07'...lost to them in game 4 and ended up losing in the quarters to wku. *this was Josh and Tristan's freshman year.

08'...lost to them in game 12 and ended up losing to wku in the semis

09'...beat them in game 2 by 2 points in double OT in game 2 and won the belt

10'...beat them in game 6 and lost in the finals to ualr.

11'...you know what happened in game 3.

Granted the games above were all within 10 points, but it shows that one, we struggle against this team and two, that a loss to them isn't the end of the world. Also, we've won 20 games in every one of the seasons above.

Edited by Green Crazy
  • Upvote 1

In the last 6 years we are 2-4 against UTA, it's far from time to panic. I'm not saying we'll win 20 this year, but step off the ledge.

06'...lost to them in game 3 and went on to win the belt.

07'...lost to them in game 4 and ended up losing in the quarters to wku. *this was Josh and Tristan's freshman year.

08'...lost to them in game 12 and ended up losing to wku in the semis

09'...beat them in game 2 by 2 points in double OT in game 2 and won the belt

10'...beat them in game 6 and lost in the finals to ark st.

11'...you know what happened in game 3.

Granted the games above were all within 10 points, but it shows that one, we struggle against this team and two, that a loss to them isn't the end of the world. Also, we've won 20 games in every one of the seasons above.

Good analysis, but we lost to UALR last year, not Ark. St.

With all the hype of this year’s recruiting class the blow out to UTA was pretty surprising. As an arm’s length UNT b-ball fan I expected to see a higher level of play early on based on the high caliber of our recruiting class.... i.e. Kentucky's youngsters are playing well early against like competition. With regard to slamming JJ, it comes with the territory, Phog.net mods regularly slam Bill Self stating he can't recruit ignoring he has the most NCAA D1 wins over the last 5 years and a winning % above 80%.

I don't think you can shove this embarrassing loss under the table, but it is a long way from showing the season is going to be a disaster. I am in the middle I guess, this team has far too much talent even without Mitchell and Patton to be a mediocre team. This "blow outs will happen" garbage to dismiss yesterday;s performance is asinine in my view. I have seen over 500 NT basketball games and that is the worse performance I have ever seen and believe me I have seen some horrible games.

JJ's coaching style is to build toward the tournament and not fret much about the oc or in fact the Belt season. That plan has worked fairly well with average to good talent. This team has three freshman players that should be among the NT all time greats and if after 4 years; the best JJ can do is get into the tourney once or twice with bad seeds: I think it will be very disappointing and a really poor coaching job. I am sure many if not most think that I am being unreasonable, but the type of opportunity NT has with this squad to finally break out on the national scene is unique and a failure to do will haunt the program for a long time.

I thought like most that NT would struggle in the early going but this team is completely out of sync. I think JJ has a real problem melding the young talent with the few veterans and it shows. I would start Jones, Williams and play Robinson and Norris a lot and find which of the older players want it most. Forget about playing everyone and settle on 6 or 7 to get most of the minutes before Mitchell joins the team.

I don't expect wins, but I predict NT will be competitive against UT and Mississippi State and a couple of wins in the Cali tournament. Note I didn't say play better because it would be almost impossible to play worse than Tuesday. Time for Jones to show us that he can develop this team and earn that 7 year contract.

Wow. Take it easy we want to see you make it to 66. :)

• Upvote 1

Seems to me that we have lost to UTA in the past and still had good seasons. We are UTA's NCAA playoff game. They were at home in their weird gym (which should have never been sanctioned for NCAA division I play) and had more experience...oddly, they even had a bit of a crowd. They will be very average when they move to a real basketball arena.

• Downvote 1

Seems to me that we have lost to UTA in the past and still had good seasons. We are UTA's NCAA playoff game. They were at home in their weird gym (which should have never been sanctioned for NCAA division I play) and had more experience...oddly, they even had a bit of a crowd. They will be very average when they move to a real basketball arena.

Anyone know if UTA opens the doors at the half. It seemed to me the crowd got much bigger in the second half, something that usually doesn't happen. The auditorium side went from a very few to half full in the bottom tier.

It is a shame that UTA gets such poor support, I bet a new arena and new conference will not help their attendance near what they hope.