Is our problem the stadium location?

shaft

For all the complaints about attendance and tailgating is our problem the location of the stadium?

Is the off campus nature of the stadium that's keeping the students away?

I hate the remote layout of the parking lots and sprawled tailgating.

If that indeed is a problem then we seriously have much bigger problems with our students and fanbase than I thought.

• Upvote 1

For all the complaints about attendance and tailgating is our problem the location of the stadium?

A very reasonable question in my book. It crossed my mind last night as well.

The stadium's location is set up for when we are "big time." The tailgate scene, all the space around the stadium, the way the parking is configured, etc. is set up with future considerations in mind. There shouldn't be any real "growing pains" later.

I think the spread out nature makes it feel more sparce. Or maybe a 4-6 record going in to the game just isn't a reason to get a lot of people excited.

• Upvote 1

:thumbsd:

I suspect that it does to a certain extent, because we do have plenty of fat, lazy, cheap, aged, and child dragging people in this world (no offense intended), who think of Apogee as more of a challenge to deal with than Fouts. There's nothing we can do about it other than the pedestrian bridge and whatever else we can think of to ease the burden, so I guess that's just the way it is. Of course we could always just move back to Fouts. :rolleyes:

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Off campus nature? I suppose you could look at it that way......if you're a lazy butt!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I don't understand why we don't run shuttles on the 30 minutes to the other side of the stadium. Literally an oversized golf cart running back and forth from each side. I know people will say "Stop being lazy." But some people just don't travel as easily for numerous reasons and we must do EVERYTHING IN OUR POWER TO SERVE THE FANS. They are paying good money to support our University and if we don't have a service first attitude in all that we do we are creating self-inflicted wounds.

GMG

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I suspect that it does to a certain extent, because we do have plenty of fat, lazy, cheap, aged, and child dragging people

Let's talk about those groups.

fat & lazy - Wonder why tailgating sucks this season, because we're spread out across four different area and you can't pull up and party out of your car. Parking in a remote location by yourself is lame. If you say you like tailgating alone at Fouts compared to last season, your lying to yourself.

Cheap - Is this team worth paying $20 for parking and then having to hike to the stadium

Aged - Another group that would probably like to be able park closer to the stadium. They might even pay to do, but what choice do they have if they didn't get parking pass at the start of the season.

Child dragging - I bring my kid to the games and there are a lot less stroller this year than last year. It's not a lot of fun to haul junior from Fouts along a narrow winding sidewalk by the Myerson, across the bridge, and then through the windy hills to get to the stadium.

So instead of just labeling folks "bad" fans, maybe we can address these issues. Winning makes the difference between "casual" fans attending the game, but these structural obstacles are keeping us from developing "core" fans.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

failed_2.jpg

Have we really stooped so low that we're actually blaming the location of Apogee for the lack of attendance? I thought I had seen it all...

Edited by UNTcrazy727
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Joining the Mean Green Club is something every fan should do. Is it something every fan can do, depends. It would be awesome not to be beer raided when we leave the tailgate to go into the game. I spend my money on transit to and from Denton (mostly flights). We have season tickets but don't have the parking pass to secure our belongings on gameday. We unload and park across the highway by choice. We have not had our tailgage disturbed 4 of the 5 games so no biggie. I wish there was a way for people to sell their parking pass on gameday. I would pay $50 for upclose parking like that on gameday - split between the 4 - 7 I bring to the game it would still be a steal.

GMG

Joining the Mean Green Club is something every fan should do. Is it something every fan can do, depends. It would be awesome not to be beer raided when we leave the tailgate to go into the game. I spend my money on transit to and from Denton (mostly flights). We have season tickets but don't have the parking pass to secure our belongings on gameday. We unload and park across the highway by choice. We have not had our tailgage disturbed 4 of the 5 games so no biggie. I wish there was a way for people to sell their parking pass on gameday. I would pay $50 for upclose parking like that on gameday - split between the 4 - 7 I bring to the game it would still be a steal.

GMG

Are you an MGC member? If so you should have a parking pass right?

No. Just a season ticket holder - three of us.

So on the first day of Apogee we asked how do we get to park in there - they mentioned the MGC.

Next year I will try to be an MGC member but I elected to spend money on flights home instead of joining the MGC. Next year may be in a better financial situation to buy flights home AND join the MGC to get the parking pass. Where there is a will there is...

Please note that I am not complaining about the choice to park across the highway. But on gamedays like yesterday when there are open spaces, it would be great to grab a gameday close parking spot to secure the belongings (aka beer) during the games. Also, we have left people at the tailgate to ensure the stuff is not disturbed so I hope they never run people out of the tailgate zones during the games. Our running joke is okay drink as much as we can before the game because that will be less that will get taken. Problem is that we have to wait the hour after the game to breakdown with the car near so with no beer that would stink. But we always find a beer post game while waiting to move the car near for the tent, chairs, coolers...

GMG

Yeah, I am definitely joining the Mean Green Club next year. Mainly for the tailgate access. I want to say I tailgated about 3 games this year and it was a beating dragging all that stuff up near the hill. Especially when the side road is closed off right after the game. And I really don't want to tailgate at Fouts, I just really like the feeling of tailgating and overlooking Apogee (great view of the homeside/pressboxes).

We lose a game, have a modest crowd here in our 8'th losing season in a row so we go into over-analyzing mode now?

The Pedestrian Bridge from Fouts to Apogee which is projected for completion this next August will I think still solve many of our problems.

The 29,000 plus fans who showed for the UH game didn't seem inconvenienced.

UT-Austin according to the father of a Texas Ex friend said data confirms that the state's flagship school in Austin is more of a commuter school than North Texas ever has been. UT could play Slippery Rock and they will fill DKR Memorial Stadium. It's (to use Silver Eagle's terminology) just their culture to do that while North Texas fans want to pick and choose which opponents are worthy for them to show up at Apogee Stadium--that is our culture but losing season after losing season, ie, coaching regime after coaching regime with under .500 career wins just compounds our problems in Denton.

Coach McCarney was probably told exactly what he was getting himself into when he took this job. His personal hero Hayden Fry probably told him what he would need to do to be successful at North Texas then get out as soon as he could if he could beat a few "somebody" schools. Coach Mac probably just didn't realize how much of this would be on his shoulders, though--even the promotions part.:ph34r:B):ph34r:

Through the years, many new enthusiastic coaches have been shot down by what some call the Denton malaise; that is when said new hire just falls prey of the "just mesh in with the rest of us and don't rock the boat up here, we have a very cushy situation and these people will buy into anything we throw at them that sounds progressive (even though we can't deliver on it) but seem to still not care if under our watch we win or lose--but whatever you do....... don't rock the boat.

If North Texas does not get into CUSA this time around, then there probably needs to be a very serious on-campus intraspective as to what are we doing that is not making us attractive to even that league as the only non AQ school in DFW that just happens to have a new stadium setting out there on that rolling Texas prairie. For certain, North Texas could hire another consultant for $100K to perform a very comprehensive study as to what is wrong, but some of us on this board could probably tell them for free what the problem is with losing being the "always" common thread at North Texas. In sales, if you are not selling then you are looking for another job. I really don't know what the criteria is at North Texas as to what keeps some who have never been part of a winner continually on the payroll up there. I know some up there are quite adept in the selling of themselves, but at the end of the day, if your program (across the board) is still not winning then what do you really have to sell (other than yourself)?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

These threads lately have been pretty effin bad.... REALLY, lack of fans is due to one reason...LOSING RECORD. Fans dont make it a priority to go to games when there team sucks, plain and simple. For example, Boise State, they were a no name school before Peterson came along and turned the program around. TCU was unforgotten before LT came. Once your team starts winning the fans will come.

I'm not complaining about the location of the stadium, think winning will cure all. I do have a question though, I am a season ticket holder but not a member of the MGC & I would like to bring my 81 year old Mother the MUTS game. Is there a way for me to drop her off at the stadium & then go park my car elsewhere?

These threads lately have been pretty effin bad.... REALLY, lack of fans is due to one reason...LOSING RECORD. Fans dont make it a priority to go to games when there team sucks, plain and simple. For example, Boise State, they were a no name school before Peterson came along and turned the program around. TCU was unforgotten before LT came. Once your team starts winning the fans will come.

I agree 100%

I'm not complaining about the location of the stadium, think winning will cure all. I do have a question though, I am a season ticket holder but not a member of the MGC & I would like to bring my 81 year old Mother the MUTS game. Is there a way for me to drop her off at the stadium & then go park my car elsewhere?

Call the athletic department. I've seen multiple golf carts zooming around the parking areas at every game. I've seen many of them carrying people to the front entrance. I don't know where those people were when they were picked up, but there is a cash lot right across the street (Bonnie Brae) from the main entrance to the stadium.

No.

The location is a "we're planning for the future" situation. Better to be ready for it now, than be hammered for it in 5 years. To be honest, there's really nowhere else it could go anyways.