Tidbits from Mac Coaches Show Tonight

Harry

I don't get why when the game was still out of hand in the 3rd or 4th quarter, how come Osborn didn't get any reps? What could it have possibly hurt? I know Mac wants Mcnulty to have a lot of reps to be prepared for the future, but what if DT is out for awhile and Mcnulty goes down ( Knock on wood)? But what are the chances of the #1 and #2 QB's getting hurt......Right?

The most compelling thing concerning this Coack MaC said last night was that he wouldn't put someone on the field so that North Texas could lose.

Son of a friend or not, I truly believe Coach MaC wants to win. And I also believe he'd sit his own son if another player gave NT a better chance to win.

Next game, start a chant, "We want Ozzy," and see what happens. And if a big guy in sunglasses comes into the stands, remember what I said above.

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It's also much better than 113.4 but I don't hear anyone asking for DT to get pulled.

Actually the week before the ULM game, people were asking for just that.

I know I had finally decided to throw in the towel on DT (as did many others), but only in favor of Osborn getting a shot, as Mcnulty is certainly not a step up from DT.

It is just that these thoughts were silenced by a very solid performance against Monroe.

Edited by MeanGreenDan
  • Upvote 1

We will lose every game Thompson doesn't start if McNulty is the replacement. We've already seen that. He isn't a good quarterback at this point in his career.

I'm sorry that we seem to have hired a coach who is stubborn about quarterbacks again. What counts is what happens during the games, not what happens during practice.

We are stuck in a situation where we have three quarterbacks - Thompson, McNulty, and Osborn - who each had only one FBS-level scholarship offer, North Texas. Thompson had one other FCS offer, Osborn had two, McNulty had zero.

Osborn's two FCS offers came from schools that throw the ball around quite a bit. Tennessee-Martin has thrown it 30 time per game this season. Murray State has thrown 45 times per games so far. These were school that wing it around and wanted Osborn on board.

We will be forced to watch more bad quarterbacking for the remainder of the season. We shouldn't flinch, I suppose, because we've seen nothing but bad quarterbacking for seven seasons in a row.

But, we're not as blind as Dan McCarney wants - or Todd Dodge, or Darrell Dickey wanted - us to be. North Texas football isn't the only football we've seen in our lives. We know what good quarterbacking looks like; what McNulty does during games ain't it.

We will finish 3-9 if Thompson keeps getting injured and McCarney keeps insisting on throwing McNulty out there.

As unfair as it is to the seniors who were asked to rededicate themselves at a higher level, and who watched teammates booted for not buying in enough, the coaching staff has mailed it in offensively for 2011.

If it weren't for Bowen and the defense, there would be nothing more to watch this season.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

...If it weren't for Bowen and the defense, there would be nothing more to watch this season.

You think coach Bowen would throw Chad Polk in to replace Orr? I mean, Polk looks like he will be a good MLB in the future. Sure, January is a Sr. and is probably a better player, but Polk is the future right? Heck no! We'll see January out there at MLB at Troy. And why? Because we are trying to win the game.

Just pray that Thompson comes back healthy for the Troy game and he does not go out again. We already know McNulty will not be winning any games for us this year when he is playing QB.

• Upvote 2

This is the vast conspiracy that is North Texas football:

We only hire coaches that purposefully set their own careers aside and deliberately and intentionally lose games. Can someone provide me motive for why any coach would do that?

These coaches, the offensive coaches only, correct, have "mailed it in (I read that QUIT)" on their family, their players, their team, without regard to their future careers and incomes?

C'mon Fake...you cannot believe that, can you?

I don't.

And just to clarify, I do not blindly follow everything these guys are doing. But for now, I will trust the coaches, the players, the department are all doing what they believe to best for the program, are giving everything they have to improve its future and want (almost as badly as we do, I am sure) to win.

Sometimes you aren't as big, as fast, as good....not sure if that is the case here, but it may have something to do with it.

Reality says we haven't been very good for a VERY long time, even against teams we THINK we should be better than....a VERY long time.

That is not to fault a single player on this team. I am proud of every guy on this team.

I think this coach and this staff can move us forward, and one can argue it is happening right in front of our eyes.

Get healed, get better and FINISH!

GMG

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

You think coach Bowen would throw Chad Polk in to replace Orr? I mean, Polk looks like he will be a good MLB in the future. Sure, January is a Sr. and is probably a better player, but Polk is the future right? Heck no! We'll see January out there at MLB at Troy. And why? Because we are trying to win the game.

Just pray that Thompson comes back healthy for the Troy game and he does not go out again. We already know McNulty will not be winning any games for us this year when he is playing QB.

I think you mean Akunne, Polk has not played all year. I doubt you see much of January. I would guess this will come down to Akunne or moving Forlando Johnson inside. For what it is worth, I think Akunne has been more impressive than January. No matter who plays, our starting MLB is a much bigger concern than who is the back up QB.

It's also much better than 113.4 but I don't hear anyone asking for DT to get pulled.

The amount of playing time is quite a bit different from Thompson and the other two. McNulty's and Osborn's scope of work are more comparable, and the ratings were much the same when their playing time was roughly equivalent. Then again, McNulty was put in to situations that were more conducive to success.

• Upvote 1

Coach Mac probably does believe that Andy is better than Ozzy. What troubles me is that we've had ample opportunity to see that with the game still in question, Andy just can't move the team. I think the rest of the team, offense and defense sees it too. As accustomed as this team is to losing, I'm not sure they fight as hard as they should when the chips are stacked against them.

I guess I just don't understand what it would hurt to throw Ozzy(who you may or may not believe is as talented) out there and see if it provides the spark that we know Andy does not. If you want to prove you're trying to win to your fans and your team... You try anything at this point.

Edited by Green P1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I got stories too.

There was a kid named Tim Tebow who was a 3rd string QB. The coaches said that he was clearly the 3rd string QB, and that it wasn't even close. He got in a few times in mop up duty and did ok. The fans start ranting and raving. This goes on for weeks/months on end. Coaches continue to say "we see the competition everyday in practice and we're staying with the pecking order we have". Fans continue to ask for the "chosen one" to be brought up the depth chart. How's that worked out for everyone?

There you go. Let's compare a 1st round NFL draft pick to or situation. The Gilbert scenario at UT is a much better comparison.

There you go. Let's compare a 1st round NFL draft pick to or situation. The Gilbert scenario at UT is a much better comparison.

How? We're talking about 3rd string QB's and the fans love of them. Seems pretty on par to what we're talking about here.

It's no more ridiculous then comparing our situation to that of Gilbert, a 5* recruit, who is also one of the biggest recruits to come out of the state of Texas in the last 10 years.

This is the vast conspiracy that is North Texas football:

We only hire coaches that purposefully set their own careers aside and deliberately and intentionally lose games. Can someone provide me motive for why any coach would do that?

These coaches, the offensive coaches only, correct, have "mailed it in (I read that QUIT)" on their family, their players, their team, without regard to their future careers and incomes?

C'mon Fake...you cannot believe that, can you?

I don't.

And just to clarify, I do not blindly follow everything these guys are doing. But for now, I will trust the coaches, the players, the department are all doing what they believe to best for the program, are giving everything they have to improve its future and want (almost as badly as we do, I am sure) to win.

Sometimes you aren't as big, as fast, as good....not sure if that is the case here, but it may have something to do with it.

Reality says we haven't been very good for a VERY long time, even against teams we THINK we should be better than....a VERY long time.

That is not to fault a single player on this team. I am proud of every guy on this team.

I think this coach and this staff can move us forward, and one can argue it is happening right in front of our eyes.

Get healed, get better and FINISH!

GMG

Rationally, there should be no reason to believe. But, don't you have to look at the real evidence?

At Tulsa, McNulty threw two touchdown to Tulsa defensive backs, and McCarney kept him in the game.

At Arkansas State, McNulty couldn't move the team until it already out of hand and Arkansas State had backups in.

At Alabama, Osborn moved the ball in junk time...and was pulled after getting 1st and Goal from the 2...and McNulty couldn't deliver the final two yards for a score.

At Tulsa, Osborn moved the ball and scored in junk time.

We already understand that both QBs can move the ball against other school's backups. So, what does that leave? That leaves is, how does each QB perform when the game is still in question.

We already know the answer to that questions with McNulty. He cannot deliver against the best of even a Sun Belt Conference opponent's defense.

We do not know whether Osborn can deliver against an opponent's best on defense because he simply hasn't been given a shot.

And, we don't have blinders on. We watch football before we go to the North Texas game. We watch football after. Years and year, decades and decades. We know if a kid isn't getting the offense to move, coaches will pull him and give someone else a try.

So, then we come to our situation. We see a quarterback failing and a coach continuing to let him fail to the detriment of the competitiveness of the team overall.

If Osborn fails as badly as McNulty has with the game on the line, fine. Then we know they both need work. Until such time as we see it, all we know is that McNulty can't do it at game time.

When one quarterback is failing in a blowout, many of us believe there's no harm is seeing what the other guy can do. It's not rocket science. If schools as big as Texas can do it, surely little ol' North Texas can do it as well.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 5

Everyone loves to cherry pick situations. Why not discuss the 99.9% of 3rd string QBs that never played a down in a game, served their time on the scout team, got their degrees, and were very productive college students.

The more talented kids are going to rise to the top. Sometimes it takes more time than others.

• Upvote 1

Everyone loves to cherry pick situations. Why not discuss the 99.9% of 3rd string QBs that never played a down in a game, served their time on the scout team, got their degrees, and were very productive college students.

The more talented kids are going to rise to the top. Sometimes it takes more time than others.

That's not exactly true. Texas and OU have Elite 11s backing up Elite 11s.

In our case, we have injured starters, and their backups without much, if any experience. So, what is the harm is seeing if one will fail as badly as the other already has. None.

The answer is, none.

(Also, we have to pretend Osborn has no college experience whatsoever to say he has no experience. The truth is otherwise. He has a whole year of JUCO experience where he led a school to a 9-1 record.)

• Upvote 5

Occupy College Football?

• Upvote 1

Pretty clear that he has absolutely doghoused Osborn for whatever reason, so I think it's time to chant for Baine at the next home game. Baine actually did a pretty damned good job down the stretch last year, and I would very much prefer that the veteran get a chance to expand on his previous success. Is McNulty faster, tougher, more experienced, a better field general, or have a better arm than Baine? Me thinks not. Oh that's right, this year doesn't matter. We're rebuilding.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Don't disagree with your logic, Fake. Very well stated.

I am not sure why Coach Mac (or Canales?) hasn't gotten Osborn off the bench the past few weeks, but I don't think it is because they are intentionally losing games, directing our players to lay down, etc.

That would infer that McNulty and his offensive teammates have nothing to gain from some success, or that they somehow gain from "mailing it in."

Its not like we are in the Suck for Luck sweepstakes!

GMG

Don't disagree with your logic, Fake. Very well stated.

I am not sure why Coach Mac (or Canales?) hasn't gotten Osborn off the bench the past few weeks, but I don't think it is because they are intentionally losing games, directing our players to lay down, etc.

That would infer that McNulty and his offensive teammates have nothing to gain from some success, or that they somehow gain from "mailing it in."

Its not like we are in the Suck for Luck sweepstakes!

GMG

I agree, but I do think the offense looked deflated when DT went down. WHY?