Tidbits from Mac Coaches Show Tonight

Harry

The upside of the bye week is that Thompson gets an extra week to make sure his head is right.

I think one of the thing to consider about this whole discussion is the complete up and down nature of this season's team. In season's past, whether we were at home or on the road, we pretty much hoped to win but expected to lose.

There's a strange disconnect this year between how this team performs at home versus on the road. I think that further frustrates the QB discussions. We know that this team can move the ball and score, because we've seen it firsthand at Apogee.

So, when the team is on the road, and being beaten soundly, we think about the team that a week ago at the home games was moving well. And, therefore, we naturally wonder, 'Can the other guy do it, if not this one?'

Thus, the insistence by McCarney that this is the order to definitely expect is a little disheartening to those who have seen the offense do well at home.

You just look at that 3-1 home record and think about how young the line is, how few real "name" playmakers we have, and you know the coaching is good and the players want it.

But, you've got to admit there is some level of mystery as to why we wouldn't try to plug a guy in to see if he couldn't spark the offense.

• Upvote 1

Without going into details, the thing that bothers me the most about this situation is the overall effect on the team. They're not idiots.

Well, and the other thing is, Osborn is just a sophomore. Doesn't it make sense to try to develop both QBs as much as possible?

He hasn't reshirted, so he's still got three to play two. McNulty still has four to play three. If we are going to develop quality depth, wouldn't it make sense to get as much playing time for Osborn for the future as well.

I think the fear is, he's already been written off. Maybe they already know he's not coming back next season. If that were the case, I can understand why he isn't playing.

BUT, if that were the case, you figure Teegarden or Cooper Jones would be running at #3.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

Let's face it, our offense is screwed up. Probably to many Chiefs or the wrong Chief calling the shots. Let Chico run the offense, call the plays, and decide who plays. Make it public knowledge and if nothing gets better then it is his fault, if we improve we give Chico props.

Fake, could it just be that fate worked to our benefit and we played three really crappy teams at home?

FAU is winless, scoring 82 points through the first 7 games.

ULM has a win against a D1-AA (old school, I know) and Troy (not the Troy we all know and love).

Indiana has one win, also against a D1-AA school.

Perhaps we are who we thought we are...and we weren't good enough (YET) to let the rest of them off the hook.

GMG

• Upvote 1

Well, and the other thing is, Osborn is just a sophomore. Doesn't it make sense to try to develop both QBs as much as possible?

He hasn't reshirted, so he's still got three to play two. McNulty still have four to play three. If we are going to develop quality depth, wouldn't it make sense to get as much playing time for Osborn for the future as well.

I think the fear is, he's already been written off. Maybe they already know he's not coming back next season. If that were the case, I can understand why he isn't playing.

BUT, if that were the case, you figure Teegarden or Cooper Jones would be running at #3.

I thought Brent redshirted at Georgia Southern, and if that's the case, he's down to two more years after this regardless.

Let's face it, our offense is screwed up. Probably to many Chiefs or the wrong Chief calling the shots. Let Chico run the offense, call the plays, and decide who plays. Make it public knowledge and if nothing gets better then it is his fault, if we improve we give Chico props.

I agree with the Chico thoughts. If we could only go back....never mind.

How? We're talking about 3rd string QB's and the fans love of them. Seems pretty on par to what we're talking about here.

It's no more ridiculous then comparing our situation to that of Gilbert, a 5* recruit, who is also one of the biggest recruits to come out of the state of Texas in the last 10 years.

Osborn proved in early games that he can move the team. For example, he drove the team down the field to the Alabama 2 yard line only to be pulled for McNulty who lost 12 yards in two plays.

Sorry, but I've watched Osborn and McNulty in games this year and Osborn performed much better and wasn't inserted into positive situations like McNulty.

• Upvote 2

I'm not sure that folks saw my first post on this thread because this disussion is still going on on so I figured I would reiterate. Both Osborne and McNulty know when they are being evaluated and on what they are being evaluated. One is performing the other so much better in practice that the coach continues to state that it is VERY CLEAR where they stand in the backup QB competition. I am dumbfounded that some on this board fail to understand this concept.

Edited by UNTP1
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

I'm not sure that folks saw my first post on this thread because this disussion is still going on on so I figured I would reiterate. Both Osborne and McNulty know when they are being evaluated and on what they are being evaluated. One is performing the other so much better in practice that the coach continues to state that it is VERY CLEAR where they stand in the backup QB competition. I am dumbfounded that some on this board fail to understand this concept.

We understand the concept. We also understand that during games McNulty is awful. It's hard to imagine Osborn being worse. So, give him a shot as well. There's nothing to lose. We already know McNulty can't move the offense until we're being blown out and the opponent takes their foot off the gas.

See? You see what happened there? You restated your argument and I restated mine. I don't agree with you, and you don't agree with me...and, that's fine. And, yet...McNulty still can't move the ball during games no matter what he does in practice.

• Upvote 3

We're on the outside looking in. There are obviously things going on that we don't understand. Maybe neither of them have a grasp on the offense. Maybe McNulty is the lesser of two evils. We can debate, naysayers can p1$$ and moan until they feel they get their way and Osborne gets playing time however, and I'm sure I'll get -785 on my profile for this one (fire for effect upon reading, if you so choose), but we don't see. Maybe Osborne is a rock making idiotic decisions in practice making McNulty #2 by default. Maybe he has an attitude problem. Maybe there are a number of factors that the average fan doesn't see during practice.

If you played any sport growing up, be that football or squash, you know for a fact that evaluation is done during practice. Maybe Osborne is more jacked up than a football bat in practice. Until we know everything, it is all heresay and speculation and incontinent complaining about a pipedream that was a bowl season this year and variables that we will never see.

Feel free to molest my profile rating.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Beware logic, it has a tendency to irritate the irrational thought process that comes with expecting a team that could count its wins on one hand over the last three years to make a bowl game this year citing "we should elevate our expectations because we're playing Sun Belt talent". Your post will suffer the consequences.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

We already know McNulty can't move the offense until we're being blown out and the opponent takes their foot off the gas.

Wow. The kid has started a grand total of one game. He came in on the 3rd play of his second game after not planning to start. This is not definitive proof he can't play. If it was we'd be on to our 5th QB by now because DT "proved" he couldn't move the offense in the first two games this year either. The reason he is playing is because right now the coaches think he is the next best QB on the team. And since DT gets hurt quite a bit their hoping maybe by the 7th full game McNulty plays, he might have a good game like DT finally did against ULM.

I am sure that we can all agree that it is the friendship with the father, along with the son's lack of success in games, that is giving this question related to the second-string QB life.

But it is the role of the former rather than the latter which is the most nebulous.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I don't get why when the game was still out of hand in the 3rd or 4th quarter, how come Osborn didn't get any reps? What could it have possibly hurt? I know Mac wants Mcnulty to have a lot of reps to be prepared for the future ...

I think you answered your own question. If McNulty is the guy for the future, he needs the game time.

• Upvote 1

We understand the concept. We also understand that during games McNulty is awful. It's hard to imagine Osborn being worse. So, give him a shot as well. There's nothing to lose. We already know McNulty can't move the offense until we're being blown out and the opponent takes their foot off the gas.

See? You see what happened there? You restated your argument and I restated mine. I don't agree with you, and you don't agree with me...and, that's fine. And, yet...McNulty still can't move the ball during games no matter what he does in practice.

Remember back in the mid-aughts when the Cowboys had this scrappy Romo kid and a coach named Bill Parcells? And Parcells kept insisting he saw giant red flags in practice about this guy that had to be fixed before he put him on the field? Now, I'm hazy, but didn't he come in and produce results while continuing to do some of the things that irritated his coach? Wasn't Parcells beaten up to high hell despite his skins on the wall and the benefit of hind-sight to make it look like he had a point? Wasn't there another QB on the roster Parcells had a previous relationship with?

Was he the best QB on the roster? Should he have been developed more carefully and the final bad habits ironed out? Has this approach held him back in his career today? I was no big fan of Parcells, but looking back, his point is a lot more obvious to me now than it was then.

It's crazy, but maybe coaches do know best and see things we miss while we look for guys to throw TDs.

Edited by Quoner
  • Upvote 6

Remember back in the mid-aughts when the Cowboys had this scrappy Romo kid and a coach named Bill Parcells? And Parcells kept insisting he saw giant red flags in practice about this guy that had to be fixed before he put him on the field? Now, I'm hazy, but didn't he come in and produce results while continuing to do some of the things that irritated his coach? Wasn't Parcells beaten up to high hell despite his skins on the wall and the benefit of hind-sight to make it look like he had a point? Wasn't there another QB on the roster Parcells had a previous relationship with?

Was he the best QB on the roster? Should he have been developed more carefully and the final bad habits ironed out? Has this approach held him back in his career today? I was no big fan of Parcells, but looking back, his point is a lot more obvious to me now than it was then.

It's crazy, but maybe coaches do know best and see things we miss while we look for guys to throw TDs.

DEFEND THAT, OSBORN FANS...????

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

This post is the winner (and I just read all of them).

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This post is the winner (and I just read all of them).

I agree...time to move on folks. Coach Mac has stated his case on more than one occasion and I think, whether we like it or not, he'll go with his experience over the postings on this board. It's his "skin" that is on the line with any and all decisions he makes. While I may not understand this situation, it isn't unusual that fans question a coaching decision. Always much easier to sit in that armchair and "know" the right thing to do...after the fact, of course.

It puzzles me, it may puzzle you, but I'll go with Coach Mac on this one and see where it takes the Mean Green nation.

BEAT TROY!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1