Beat WKU & MTSU then upset AK St or Troy then we are Bowl Bound

Tree

I would not count WKU as an automatic win. Much like us, they are starting to find themselves, especially defensively. That is the second toughest game left on the schedule.

I thought I was the only one who was concerned about WKY. They appear to be much better this year.

Even though we have improved and continue to improve, there are no gimmies. We need to just win one at a time and let the final standing sort themselves out.

Unt travels the best in the belt, the only other teams that compete are Ull and Mutts. Bowls dont look at records they look at how well you travel and money coming in. If we win 6 games I'm 98% sure we'll get into a bowl game, we have 2 guaranteed games and the godaddy.com bowl goes to anyone.

MTSU holds the Sun Belt record for tickets sold to the New Orleans Bowl.

• Upvote 1

Todd Dodge's awful recruits? That line is getting pretty old. Our best players on offense(Dunbar, Hamilton, Brelan, Bynes, Tomlinson, Y'Barbo, Fortenberry, Thompson) were all Dodge recruits. Our defense is young, but our best defensive players(Orr, AK, Sarge) were all Dodge recruits. Whether he got the full potential out of these guys is one thing, but to say these guys aren't talented is a freaking joke.

• Upvote 4

Also, this is getting overlooked, but 6 wins does not guarantee us a bowl game. It just makes us eligible for one. We could win 6 games and still finish 4th in the belt. Our best bet it to just win out, so it's a guarantee.

No one said its guaranteed, its up to the bowl committee to see who they want to invite. Being a team that travels well helps us more than a team with one more win that doesnt put butts in the seats. Ive talked to a lot of people and they might not come to Denton for a game but theyll travel to a bowl game

It's cool to get excited about the bowl possibility. We are a different team on the road. I'll be more impressed if we can get a win in Jonesboro and Troy than with the three home wins.

That said, I'll put my quarter in the machine and say that we need to run the table to have a shot at a bowl. I'm thinking we need to win the conference.

• To do that we need to win out -- that will put us at 6-2 with losses against ULL and FIU.
  • We'll need Ark St to lose one more game after we beat them but not against ULL.
  • We'll need ULL to lose twice more in three conference games (they play the final one against Arizona)
  • So, we might know if we have a shot after this weekend.
  • This saturday have the radio tuned to MGRN and your laptop on esp3 to root for MTSU against the Cajuns.
  • For good measure root for one more FIU loss. We don't want them running the table and winning on a tie-break either.

No one said its guaranteed, its up to the bowl committee to see who they want to invite. Being a team that travels well helps us more than a team with one more win that doesnt put butts in the seats. Ive talked to a lot of people and they might not come to Denton for a game but theyll travel to a bowl game

What bowls do we have ties to?

I want to read up on the contractual agreements with the Belt. I agree attendance can play a factor, but only when records are near identical or very similar.

You're welcome to disagree, but I'm skeptical a 4th place 6-6 Belt team is going to be picked over a Belt team that finishes 2nd (6-6 or whatever)

No so much concerned with bowls this year, more concerned with improving and getting some good recruits so we can become competitive enough to win the belt and being able to beat some teams outside of the belt. And if/when we get to a 6-6 and if we don't get into a bowl I wouldn't be too disappointed looking at our past seasons. But I must say it sure is fun talking about the possibilities.

What bowls do we have ties to?

I want to read up on the contractual agreements with the Belt. I agree attendance can play a factor, but only when records are near identical or very similar.

You're welcome to disagree, but I'm skeptical a 4th place 6-6 Belt team is going to be picked over a Belt team that finishes 2nd (6-6 or whatever)

You're probably right, but I will point out that in 2008 FAU was tied for third (4-3, 6-6), and they were the second (and only additional) team after 1st place Troy that was selected for a bowl. They were chosen over ASU (4-3, 6-6) and 2nd place ULL (5-2, 6-6). However, if ASU, ULL, and FIU all finish this season with at least 7 wins each, which is quite likely, then we would have no chance with a 6-6 record.

Two things come to mind when I read this thread. KICKASS!!!! is the first one. It is great to be playing games that still mean something at this point in the season, and to have a chance to really see this team break out in the latter half of this season.

...the other thing that comes to mind is TAP THE BREAKS!! ...I'm as excited as the next guy. ...but we haven't strung together back to back much less 3 wins in a LONG TIME. I don't doubt this team can do it. I think they can win every game left on the schedule. ...but I'm not prepared to set my sights on a bowl. Right now I'm REALLY looking forward to win #4, and I hope it is this week.